NEW XR650L Question

39 replies to this topic
  • fredodido1

Posted March 29, 2008 - 09:33 AM

no, gonridn. pick up my 08 4 weeks ago. and a tool kit was in the tool bag, and it is also mention in the book...

• gonridn

Posted March 29, 2008 - 10:29 AM

no, gonridn. pick up my 08 4 weeks ago. and a tool kit was in the tool bag, and it is also mention in the book...

of course your importer and distributor is not the same as ours.

• Purcell69

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:58 PM

One of the biggest issues I have over the tool kit isn't the quality or the usefulness of the tools, but the fact that Honda has given the impression that the kit is suplied with the motorcycle, as mentioned in the owner's manual and pre-delivery paperwork. When I by a new motorcycle, I expect to have everything that is standard equipment as identified as part of that bike.

In most cases, the factory jack in your pickup truck is worthless, until you really need one. They are a pain in the butt to work with and are cheaply made, but if you had purchased a new truck and found out a few weeks later that there was no jack, wouldn't you be back at the dealership raising nine kinds of hell? You bet you would.

The same applies to the tool kit. They are not the greatest tools and most of us will probably never have occasion to use them, but if the need should arise, it might just be the difference between riding back to civilization or walking back. I have personally experienced this with other motorcycles years ago.

-Joe

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:38 PM

You don't need a Tool Kit man, it's a Honda.:prof:

You need the plug wrench when you play U-boat commander.

Especially when you do so on freezing november evenings just before dark.

Alone.

In the woods.

Dave

• fredodido1

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:40 PM

purcell i agree with ya and share your point of view. no matter canada our usa, the honda's manual and pre delivery papers says it comes with the tools, is gonridn trying to tell me there is canadian english manual and a special one for the u.s.a. , come on now. Like someone said so well in a previous message, if your in the business and your honest, you won't be offended...

• Baxter650

Posted March 30, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Every bike i have ever bought has come with a tool kit, the dealer is keeping the tool kit that Honda supplied with that bike!

• Old Graybeard

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:03 AM

If so, what's he doing with them? Equiping his service department with them or is he putting them in his kids Christmas stockings? I can appreciate the above mentioned opinions concerning the principle of the thing. I just think that those tools aren't worth getting yourself lathered up over. Want to take tools with you 'just in case", take decent tools. JMHO OGB

• sharktaco

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:57 AM

I can’t speak for any other year but the guy I spoke with at American Honda said the 07's did NOT come with a tool kit. They just neglected to remove the reference to a tool kit in the manual and that kind of forced them to give one to people that complained. The dealers aren’t keeping them.

• hondaxrl650

Posted March 30, 2008 - 10:48 AM

Well my 07 did not come with the manual either so when I called ( alot) they ordered both so I should be happy I got more than what I paid for ..

• martinfan30

Posted March 30, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Well my 07 did not come with the manual either so when I called ( alot) they ordered both so I should be happy I got more than what I paid for ..

Not to kick a dead horse, but those two items are like not getting an owners manual (not that any of my customers read it anyway:bonk:), and a jack and wrench with a new car.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gonridn

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:58 AM

purcell i agree with ya and share your point of view. no matter canada our usa, the honda's manual and pre delivery papers says it comes with the tools, is gonridn trying to tell me there is canadian english manual and a special one for the u.s.a. , come on now. Like someone said so well in a previous message, if your in the business and your honest, you won't be offended...

what i am trying to say is that canada and american honda are not the same company, and possibly spec their machines differently.
folks should be careful of throwing out accusations without doing a little fact checking. unless you are CBS news.

• Old Graybeard

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:12 AM

I'll drink to that! :prof:

• fredodido1

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:01 AM

so silly, i always taugh canada was in america. LOL, this is a very funny thread, all this because Honda do not give what it is said in the manual, i wounder about Honda Perou our Equador our would it be Honda south America and then Nicaragua and Honduras would be Honda central America... my good it must be a very complicated logistic for those tool kit engineers.

Peace to you all, XR riders, tool kit our not.

• Memnok

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:06 AM

I picked up my XRL yesterday. I asked the dealer if the took kit was in the bag. He said it was. When opened it and there was no tool kit (I was expecting this after reading this thread) I asked him where it was. H said de did not know, and assumed it had been in the bag. He went inside to look for it, but when he returned he told me the Honda no longer included a tool kit. Oh well, I tried… :prof:

• fitpays

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:43 AM

sorry gonridn, but if you read what i said, it included this disclaimer:

"sorry if anyone on here works for a dealer and takes offense. all i can say is that if you don't steal, you shouldn't be offended."

if someone said "i got robbed by a white guy", i would not be offended. i am white, but i don't rob people so i would not be offended. like i said, i have friends that work at dealers and i have first hand knowledge of seat cowls, tool kits, manuals, and assorted other things growing legs and walking out the door. perhaps honda did not include them in certain years, although i seriously doubt it. also, i don't think it matters which "distributor" the bikes come from. i am sure the bikes either get the kit or they don't. they all get two wheels, don't they? they should all get a tool kit. i support the other guy's point about the tools being cheap, but they are back up tools and sometimes they are perfect for tight places.

in summary, sorry if anyone took offense to my original post. we all know that a dealership has never taken advantage of anyone. LOL:lol:

• venne

Posted April 18, 2008 - 10:19 PM

My 08 ,no tools, i got robbed, i need to yell

• martinfan30

Posted April 20, 2008 - 09:36 AM

My 08 ,no tools, i got robbed, i need to yell

Call the dealer and complain. They'll probably order a set for you. ) 08's didnt come with them. My bro's 07 didnt either.

Thats like buying a car, and it comes with no jack and wrench!:thumbsup:

• BeeDub

Posted May 05, 2008 - 09:51 AM

I can’t speak for any other year but the guy I spoke with at American Honda said the 07's did NOT come with a tool kit. They just neglected to remove the reference to a tool kit in the manual and that kind of forced them to give one to people that complained. The dealers aren’t keeping them.

I agree 100% with this one, BUT...the guy told me he'd put in a documented request for a tool kit for me. He said someone will get back to me in 2-3 business days and he's not sure they'll give me one. I just got off the phone with him. I wouldn't have even worried about it, but when I realized none of my tools will get at that plug, and then I saw this thread. I think they're going to give me the run-around. This guy was obviously checking with his supervisor, because when I complained after his initial spiel about them not coming with the '07, he put me on hold. I couldn't believe it, but he actually told me "they stopped supplying them because they were under the impression people didn't want them, and they wanted to cut costs". Understandable, but fix your frieking manual why dontcha?

• jeanluconze

Posted May 05, 2008 - 09:58 AM

so silly, i always taugh canada was in america. LOL, this is a very funny thread, all this because Honda do not give what it is said in the manual, i wounder about Honda Perou our Equador our would it be Honda south America and then Nicaragua and Honduras would be Honda central America... my good it must be a very complicated logistic for those tool kit engineers.

Peace to you all, XR riders, tool kit our not.

:eek:

anyways, my 07 didn't come with tools and I complained and the dealer gave me a set after about 2 weeks.

• BeeDub

Posted May 10, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Well, I just got mine in the mail. American Honda said it was a "good will" gesture, meaning they don't feel obligated to send them, so just keep that in mind. I'm not going to knock them, because at least they did send it. It is nice and small, but clearly made of sub-par metal. I also expected there would be tire irons in it, but I guess I was wrong. The biggest plus to me in the kit is the plug wrench, as I don't have anything in my current tools that will work. I have a much better made multi-screw driver kit I'll use instead. Also, I'm assuming the thing on the left is just a leverage bar for the wrenches? Here is a picture:

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.