Cutting it down...

11 replies to this topic
  • barry

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hey there,

Just wondering the pros if any and the cons if any to cutting the stock muffler in half on my 04' YZ450F.

Thanks.

• Hempstead

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:09 AM

loudness...

• KAS

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:02 AM

No benefit. It will be quite a bit louder.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:20 AM

No pros at all.

Con: much louder

:prof: :bonk:

• barry

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:02 AM

Ok but will it effect the motor. Would it lean it out to far and cause damage ?

• Wiz636

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:28 AM

You potentially would have to rejet, but the only damage done would be to your image. One of the easiest ways to identify a spode is to look for the guy with the excessively loud bike. :prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mutt2jeff

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:51 AM

Dont screw with it, the stock exhaust is more than loud enough.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ok but will it effect the motor. Would it lean it out to far and cause damage ?

Why would it lean it out at all? I think you have a reasonably great lack of understanding as to how the exhaust system interacts with the engine to optimize tuning. It may richen the mixture, it may lean it out, it may do both at different points in the throttle.

It will for certain reduce the low end power the bike has, and probably without adding any top end. You will gain little or nothing, possibly loose quite a bit, and your bike will be obnoxious.

• MaxPower

Posted March 28, 2008 - 02:59 PM

[COLOR="Green"]and why do you want to cut it?Is your bike too quiet?[/COLOR]

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:58 PM

The bike is tuned from the factory with the stock exhaust for the best all around performance.
Sometimes the stock exhaust is the best. Cutting is down might not help it. It may do more damage that good. Like getting attention from the wrong crowd. Or turn into a jetting nightmare.
You want it to be light weight, then pay for a titanium exhaust system. It will cost you some bucks. What ever you do, dont mess with a good thing. Thumpers are all ready the center of attention.
My bikes are below the 96 db level and plenty of performance for me. This is just me. But leave well enouph alone and just ride the bike and have fun.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:17 AM

Stock pipe cutting again....all you are doing is ruining a perfectly good stock exhaust.....no performance gains, maybe even losses and all to have a shorter pipe......you are better off ebaying it and applying $$$ to new better exhaust purchase

• Family Man

Posted March 31, 2008 - 10:01 PM

yeah, I agree just sell your old pipe and buy an aftermarket system.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.