sprocket advice

6 replies to this topic
  • Stepdaddy

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:54 AM

Alright here’s my story.

My 08-450 stretched the stock chain just about to the max after about 10 hours....I took Grays advice and got myself a Regina o-ring chain...got the chain and took the old one off. My buddy brought the chain across the street to the speed shop to have the chain cut. The old wise man looked at the stock chain cut the new one to the stock length (114) one, and said good luck.

Now being the same size as the stock chain, it has about half adjustment left....this means my sprockets have more wear on them than is good, or at least this is what I took out of the situation at hand.

My questing is; would it be best for me to replace sprockets right now while the chain is still 100% or see how long the stockers will last?

• KJ790

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:56 AM

I would replace the sprockets too. Sprockets and chain wear as a set, if you change one and not the other they will wear out faster.

• adamdf

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Agreed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stepdaddy

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Thanks KJ790.

Looks like Ill have to ride the smoker for a week or so :prof:

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:18 AM

Now being the same size as the stock chain, it has about half adjustment left....this means my sprockets have more wear on them than is good,

It doesn't mean that at all. Very rarely will sprocket wear change the diameter of the sprocket, which it would have to do to change the point where the axle sits, and it didn't sit far from the center of the slot when it was new.

In 10 hours time, it isn't likely that you have done much to the front sprocket, but the rear is apt to have been damaged. Look at the picture at the top of page 3-31 in your manual, then carefully inspect the teeth of both sprockets. Both sides of each tooth should look the same; a half round cut with a chisel pointed tooth. If there is a difference in shape from one side to the other, the sprocket is worn, and should be replaced.

• Stepdaddy

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Gray, Ill check to see how they look before i change them out. I think i would have more peace of mind but i dont wanna throw anymore money away than i already do.:prof:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:28 AM

I have found that cutting a chain prior to seeing where the swingarm adj points are is not a good thing unless you want the rear wheel as close to the front of the swingarm as possible or worse a chain cut too short. I always install the sprockets (whatever size) and wrap the new chain 120links around to see where my desirable adj points will be, then cut chain with a chain breaker right there. I prefer the initial adj point towards the middle knowing the stretching will occur and seat my adj points just rear of middle for the 06 - 450s and more front on the 99 -05 400-450s. If more stretching occurs then remove another link. In this case more chain is better than less.:prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.