wr450f forks modifications

6 replies to this topic
  • freerider_australia

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:18 AM

i ride a bit of mx and have found the front end bottoms out easy i am within the weight range for standard springs can i do any mods to the base valve they are diffrent to yz ones i know i could try raising the oil level or even try a diffrent weight oil but i think the base valve lets it down i dont want to go to the expence of gold valves
as a enduro bike the stock suspention is great

• STECKNINE

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:35 AM

I have a 08 WR450 and, to be perfectly honest the suspension sucks! It is OK in the trees but, once you put it in the whoops it is horrific! My brother has an 07 and, has done everything you can do with, the stock suspension. I raced the bike from Vegas to Reno and the suspension was mediocre. My brother then put a pair of 07 YZ forks on his bike and, It is a whole new world. I am in the process of doing this myself but, I got a set of 08 YZ forks and, nothing is compatible. I will do a post on the forum about it. Dude the bottom line is YZ forks RIP on a WR!

• MaxPower

Posted March 28, 2008 - 02:55 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Factory Connection did a revalve on mine and its the best thing ever in the whoops[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dazzabb

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I have a 08 WR450 and, to be perfectly honest the suspension sucks! It is OK in the trees but, once you put it in the whoops it is horrific! My brother has an 07 and, has done everything you can do with, the stock suspension. I raced the bike from Vegas to Reno and the suspension was mediocre. My brother then put a pair of 07 YZ forks on his bike and, It is a whole new world. I am in the process of doing this myself but, I got a set of 08 YZ forks and, nothing is compatible. I will do a post on the forum about it. Dude the bottom line is YZ forks RIP on a WR!

The YZ forks might be great for the fast whoops etc. on the WR but get onto the rocks and roots and you'll be sorry!

Last weekend while riding we swapped bikes i rode my mates 07 YZ and he my 05 WR. The YZ suspension is simply mad to go real enduro riding (I'm not talking about the fast desert as I have no experience in those conditions) - he was complaining of wrist ache too.
I would think a major re-valve was required to get the YZ suspension compliant for enduro riding?

• STECKNINE

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:35 PM

I have a 05 yz 250 set up for desert and woods with, pretty much stock suspension. When we ride the trees in northern Cali I can usually stay right on my brothers butt on his wr 450. I kind of feel there should be a happy medium in suspension between rocks and, roots as whoops. By messing with the clickers you can actually make the YZ forks pretty good for both. I agree that factory connection is the best and, cheapest way to upgrade WR suspension!

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:36 PM

The YZ forks might be great for the fast whoops etc. on the WR but get onto the rocks and roots and you'll be sorry!

Last weekend while riding we swapped bikes i rode my mates 07 YZ and he my 05 WR. The YZ suspension is simply mad to go real enduro riding (I'm not talking about the fast desert as I have no experience in those conditions) - he was complaining of wrist ache too.
I would think a major re-valve was required to get the YZ suspension compliant for enduro riding?

I have 07 YZ forks re-valved from Factory Connection, I raced the Clear Creek Enduro 3 days after I got them back. I thought they would be to stiff, they were perfect. Biggest mod you can do to any bike is suspension. WR with a YZ suspension= The perfect machine. Have fun riding this weekend. Jeff S

• freerider_australia

Posted March 30, 2008 - 11:52 PM

i spoke to a suspention guy and he has done this mod to many with sucess
the base valve spring comes loose over time and all u have to do is pre load it with washers he said only enough to fill the gap between spring and base valve(he explained that if u get the base valve spring right the whole set works better)
the next mod is to pre load the main spring by 5mm
he also said u can lower the oil level a bit(this is because the whole set up will work better after mods)
he also said that the mods will improve bottoming out and high speed valving of fork

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.