How to put your XL600 air box in.

9 replies to this topic
  • brantc

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Make sure there are no parts attached(regulator, rectifier) as that will defeat the cool move....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Leget

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:34 PM

It's not as easy as he makes it look.....nice job.

• davek18

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:55 AM

Your caption should have said make sure there are no parts attached like swingarm, shock, rear wheel, etc. The hardest part about that job is discovering how much stuff has to come off. It really doesn't take too long once you make up your mind to disembowel everything.
I did not have the technique of insertion quite figured out yet. Thank you.
Excellent photos and post.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:09 AM

Mine is happy where it is at. Removing the carbs and reinstallation, now that's fun! ...... NOT!

• shortshift

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Mine is happy where it is at. Removing the carbs and reinstallation, now that's fun! ...... NOT!

Amen Motosprtman! Holy cow, that third hexhead bolt in the middle of the rubber intake manifold...mine was torqued on so bad...i admit since my XL is a restoration project, I had the top end refreshed by XRs Only down in SoCal. My one "special request" was for them to replace those bolts with allen heads since no socket would the hex head, and no open end wrench could achieve the purchase necessary to loosen the bolt!

anyway, OP, thanks for the post, I agree it's a Harry Houdini move to get that airbox in or out of the frame :prof:

hey! this is my first post on TT. hi everybody!

Adam

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 30, 2008 - 07:28 PM

Amen Motosprtman! Holy cow, that third hexhead bolt in the middle of the rubber intake manifold...mine was torqued on so bad...i admit since my XL is a restoration project, I had the top end refreshed by XRs Only down in SoCal. My one "special request" was for them to replace those bolts with allen heads since no socket would the hex head, and no open end wrench could achieve the purchase necessary to loosen the bolt!

anyway, OP, thanks for the post, I agree it's a Harry Houdini move to get that airbox in or out of the frame :prof:

hey! this is my first post on TT. hi everybody!

Adam

Welcome to TT shortshift!

Glad to have you onboard.

Rich.

• brantc

Posted March 30, 2008 - 08:49 PM

Yep!!:prof:

I'm working on a good way to do that part. I will post when I get there...

:bonk: :confused:

• jgrady

Posted April 07, 2009 - 03:53 PM

What did you use to clean that airbox? That thing looks cleaner than when it came from the factory!!!

Thanks,
Jack

• brantc

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:18 AM

What did you use to clean that airbox? That thing looks cleaner than when it came from the factory!!!

Thanks,
Jack

I used a Armor all substitute. I think from Maguires. It was pretty stinky(oh the flowers) but it worked well.

I spent a couple of hours on that thing.... Q-tips and ragsss......

• jgrady

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:30 AM

Cool, thanks man.

I will keep that in mind when I start on my restoration.

-Jack

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.