650L smoking badly

8 replies to this topic
  • okie_redneck

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:58 PM

A couple weeks ago, the weather was nice enough to start my XR. It has always ran great, but it began smoking just after I started it that day. It still runs STRONG, but there is deninately oil coming out of the motor. I rode around town for a half hour or so, and it didn't stop. I was hoping it just burped up a little oil and it needed to be burned out of the exhaust. I was not that fortunate. It is deninitely using oil. I've done a search and can't find any info on the issue. Help!

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:59 PM

How long did it sit? Sounds like the oil control ring may have collapsed.

Time for a top end.

• Denn10

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:17 PM

AND welcome to TT

i would say if you KNOW its burning oil, ie meaning something went south, then i would plan on taking it apart and doing the top end, i dont really think theres many other options for ya.

• resurrection

Posted March 27, 2008 - 09:29 PM

May I recomend leak down test first ,as you will the have some insite to the issue at hand .
keeping in mind a leak down test doesn't show valve guides and seals.
this is a must or you may not visualy be able to find any thing to fix.
or you can go in there and throw money at every thing hoping you fix it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:53 AM

of course it could be the valve stem seals ... once they are gone (dried out) and loose thier resiliency they have to be replaced.

• cleonard

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:44 AM

How much oil is it burning? For example how much do you have to add per 100 miles?

Is it blowing any out the breather?

Is it just leaking onto the exhaust?

Is it smoking? Do you leave blue clouds in your wake or does it just put out a good amount when you first start it, but then gets better?

• DGXR

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:53 AM

of course it could be the valve stem seals ... once they are gone (dried out) and loose thier resiliency they have to be replaced.

Typically worn valve stem seals will leak some oil past the guides and into the cylinder, which is burned off at startup but that's all the smoke you will see (assuming the guide seals are the problem). Mine need to be replaced but she still runs super strong, it's just 8-10 seconds of blue smoke at the first start of the day. Redneck's problem sounds like rings but I've never seen rings break or fail just from sitting there, unless they got stuck in the piston or somehow are scoring the cylinder after going unused for so long. A leakdown test would be in order. Good luck.

• martinfan30

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Typically worn valve stem seals will leak some oil past the guides and into the cylinder, which is burned off at startup but that's all the smoke you will see (assuming the guide seals are the problem). Mine need to be replaced but she still runs super strong, it's just 8-10 seconds of blue smoke at the first start of the day. [color=red] Redneck's problem sounds like rings but I've never seen rings break or fail just from sitting there, unless they got stuck in the piston or somehow are scoring the cylinder after going unused for so long. [/color] A leakdown test would be in order. Good luck.

Right. They may have rusted/semi seized to the cyl. wall, and soon as it was cranked over... SNAP!

• okie_redneck

Posted March 28, 2008 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for all the help. Look I'll do a leak down test. It's burning about a quart for a tank of gas, which has to freak out any environmentalist who sees me. What sucks is third gear whines on my bike. I threw away a spare transmission because I didn't want to take the bike apart that far just to make the whine go away. I wish I had it back now. Oh well, I really appreciate the help. I'll probably have time to fix it next weekend. I'll keep you informed.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.