Need some advice

7 replies to this topic
  • Wild Turkey

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:47 PM

I made a case saver for my 650l out of 1/16" aluminum today and was wondering how I could get it to adhere to my case. I have some epoxy but I was wondering if anyone else had any better ideas on how to make it stick for good. Thanks. :prof:

• Denn10

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:22 PM

why not make one that bolts on, i dont think one stuck on will help much at all if a chain comes flinging off and whipping towards the counter shaft sprocket. got a pic of what you made? interested to see watcha got.

PS you talking skid plate or chain case saver?? im thinking now your talking skid plate?

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:57 PM

why not make one that bolts on, i dont think one stuck on will help much at all if a chain comes flinging off and whipping towards the counter shaft sprocket. got a pic of what you made? interested to see watcha got.

PS you talking skid plate or chain case saver?? im thinking now your talking skid plate?

Hey Dennis, It's a case saver for the left lower part of my case behind the gear shift lever to give my case a little more protection from the lever puncturing through the side of the case if I dump my bike on that side. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

• xr650l bum

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:14 PM

I used JB weld. It has worked fantastic. I think the other product people are using is permatex? Not sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky123

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:21 AM

Clear RTV is a good way to go. It holds it very well and is a less permanent than something like JB weld. I've used it to hold on clutch cover savers on 650R's on multiple bikes and never had one fall off.........................yet.

• asf

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:50 AM

+1 on permatex silicone. Lots of sportbikers use it to put on billet case savers and CF ones as well. Never heard of one popping of, at least not yet.

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:07 AM

Right on! Thanks guys, I think I'm going to try the permatex silicone. If that doesn't work then I'll bust out the JB weld. :prof:

• cleonard

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:47 AM

+1 on the silicone. It should work well and be removable. Just be sure to give it time to cure. Depending on the size of you piece it could take a long time for the silicone to completely cure in the center of your piece. It cures by a reaction with water in the air and it could take a week or more for the stuff far from the edges to cure.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.