Guidance rebuilding the XR650R top-end, please...

30 replies to this topic
  • zimak

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:47 AM

And when your riding in the sand look up the painty hose trick to keep it extra clean in there.
Dont forget that cam chain.

• scalejockey

Posted March 28, 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hello,

I've been lurking here for some time, and am using my 1st post because need some guidance with my XR650R...

I purchased it 3 months ago (it's an '01), knowing the compression was a little 'soft'. I'd planned to rebuild it next winter, but after a trip to the dunes, some sand made it past my filter and apparently went through the cylinder... because now it's burning a considerable amount of oil (like a quart in 125 miles of street/trail riding), and the compression is ka-poot.

So... because I'm quite sure I sucked sand through it, I'd like to bore it out and have a new piston in it.

I went to the Honda shop this afternoon, and they were adamant that the XR650R cylinder cannot be bored.

So... that leaves me with 2 questions:

1.) Why not?

2.) What are riders doing then they're moving up to a larger piston? New sleeve?

I’ll likely stay with the 10:1 compression because I’ve read that the 11:1 requires machining to fit correctly? (Is this accurate?), but I’ll move to the stage 1 hot cams.

Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong forum, or if there's already a great thread on this subject (please direct me to it)~ I did several searches and couldn't find the answer...

Ryan

PM me when you get it done,maybe we can hook up out in the owhees and compare power.(Iv'e been needing a "reason" to make mine faster)..yes i'm married,I always need a reason.

• RyanWilliamCantrell

Posted March 28, 2008 - 03:23 PM

PM me when you get it done,maybe we can hook up out in the owhees and compare power.(Iv'e been needing a "reason" to make mine faster)..yes i'm married,I always need a reason.

Sounds great. :bonk:

I ride the Kuna desert right now, since most of the Owyhee's are closed to motorized travel.

You should check out these guys, too:

motoidaho.com

:prof:

• scalejockey

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:33 PM

Sounds great. :bonk:

I ride the Kuna desert right now, since most of the Owyhee's are closed to motorized travel.

You should check out these guys, too:

motoidaho.com

:prof:

Cool!

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 28, 2008 - 11:12 PM

Ruin a boring bar???

Yeah, a boring bar is what is used to bore a standard non-plated cylinder. I guess I see what your saying; it wouldn't ruin the boring bar, but rather the cutter tip on the end of the bar.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted March 30, 2008 - 07:13 PM

I have the steel sleeve and would [COLOR="Red"]NOT[/COLOR] do that again. I would have the stock cylinder bored and re-Nikasiled. Millenium Technologies does great work as does Lukes Racing.

With a Nikasil cylinder you can run less the .0025" of piston to cylinder clearance but, with a steel sleeve you have to run at least .004" and you lose power, and the chance of a cold seize ( Barnum cold seize mine after the rebiuld) is not cool. Mike Powell's bike is Nikasil 680cc and you can tell it is much, much better.

• RyanWilliamCantrell

Posted March 31, 2008 - 10:09 AM

Compression is 80psi ~ ouch.

I'll start ordering parts this evening. :prof:

Thanks for all the input!

• zimak

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Was that with the decomp pulled or without?

Page 8-4 Service manual
87psi (decompressor applied)
160psi (decompressor not applied)

If thats with the decomp pulled your perfect.
If not...she's cashed.

• RyanWilliamCantrell

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:41 PM

Decomp out ~ which means she's 1/2 of what it's suppose to be.

• zimak

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:56 AM

Ouch...wow that is really bad.
Even when I had 25% leak down through my rings I still could get 110-120psi with decomp out.
That is one seriously sick motor.

• BWB63

Posted April 03, 2008 - 02:25 PM

Some cam timing web pages for the XR650R:

http://www.scott-wor...engineering.htm

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.