Another fat pig can't get started!!!

30 replies to this topic
  • mikesbaron

Posted March 28, 2008 - 03:41 PM

the bike is uncorked and yes I am starting it with it leaned on the kickstand. If anything the float level might be a little high as stock. I don't think the needle/seat is the problem.

One question I have is about finding TDC. When I push down and find a hardspot I pull in cmp and kick through about a 1/4 of the stroke. I then let the kickstarter all the way up. Is this correct? Becaus when I go to give it my ALL KICK stroke I don't get any resistance on the leverl until I get my leg halfway down through the stroke. is this normal or am I at the wrong stroke when I'm kicking?

• asf

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:02 PM

There's your problem right there...of course you cant start it because you just let out all the compression.

I almost never use my decomp unless I flood the bike. Cycle it a few full rotations without the decomp lever pulled (2-3 should do it). Repeat leave that decomp lever alone. You need suction from the cylinder to draw gas in. If you are just going to TDC via the decomp you basically arent letting any fuel into your motor. Build up some compression, then go to the first stiff point.

Slowly push the kickstart one "click" past that stiff point. Not a whole 1/4 rotation. Then, let the kick lever go back all the way up, and kick it with all your force at the bottom not the top. The follow through is more important than the initial push.

I never have to kick more than once to at least get it to start unless I mess it up and either flood the cylinder or get lazy and dont find TDC.

Oh and I would not start it on the kickstand. If the lever snaps back you are going to be in alot of pain...I've seen people get SERIOUSLY injured doing that.

Maybe on something other than a single cylider 600cc that is ok, but the kickback on these bikes has the fury of a woman. At least my 600r does.

• jdubb75

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:40 PM

the bike is uncorked and yes I am starting it with it leaned on the kickstand. If anything the float level might be a little high as stock. I don't think the needle/seat is the problem.

One question I have is about finding TDC. When I push down and find a hardspot I pull in cmp and kick through about a 1/4 of the stroke. I then let the kickstarter all the way up. Is this correct? Becaus when I go to give it my ALL KICK stroke I don't get any resistance on the leverl until I get my leg halfway down through the stroke. is this normal or am I at the wrong stroke when I'm kicking?

When you find TDC pull the decomp lever and just "bump" past it. Only a couple inches, at most, on the kick start lever. You just want to get over the hump, so to speak. When you let the lever come all the way back up, push it down until you feel it engage. There may be just a little play at the top and it's better to have it engaged before you release your fury on it.

As for the starting on the stand thing. I would also advise against it, if at all possible. It flexes way more than I'm comfortable with. Not only do I not want a broken kickstand, but I don't want to dump the bike standing still.

• jclaus98

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:49 PM

I could be wrong, but didn't he say he wasn't getting spark? Or was that resolved at some point during the discussion that I missed? If you're not getting spark, get a voltmeter and check the coil. Mine ran like a champ for about a four hour ride and then all the sudden jt quit and couldn't be coaxed into running at ALL. Further inspection revealed a bad coil. Voltage going to the coil, but none coming out. From talking to the mech. at the dealership, that happens on a pretty regular basis and without any warning, they just quit. Check that out if you've got no spark, otherwise, disregard what I just said.

• RJCXR600

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:02 PM

I have 95 xrr and I hadn't started it in about 3 weeks and i did tonight to start it was
1. held the decomp. down kicked 4 times.
2. turned the idle screw in 2 turns (no choke).
3. slowly found top dead center once there pulled the decomp lever just enough to get a hair past the top and kicked once it fires up no problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJCXR600

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:11 PM

If you have gas dribble out out from the carb, that means you have crud between the needle and where it the seats. You will need to take the float and needle apart and open and close the fuel petcock a couple of times to clear out the debris. Be carefull not to loose the pin and or damage the float and needle.

• Blownaway

Posted March 28, 2008 - 11:48 PM

I would highly suggest that you crank the idle speed up a few turns before trying again. It really helps getting a stubborn pig started.

• creeky

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:13 AM

Gas dripping from the overflow tube means an overfull float bowl, flooding the engine. You will need to find the cause of the overflowing. As said, check the float level.

• mikesbaron

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:31 AM

Ok heres one.
If the bike is going to be sitting for more than a few hrs, I mean for a halfday to a couple of weeks should I turn the petcock off?

• jdubb75

Posted March 29, 2008 - 09:40 AM

Ok heres one.
If the bike is going to be sitting for more than a few hrs, I mean for a halfday to a couple of weeks should I turn the petcock off?

I do. If i ride to work, I'll shut it off even though I'm going to be back on it at lunch. It seems to start easier. Maybe it's all in my head, but it doesn't hurt. :prof:

• EarlT

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:31 PM

MultiMeter Fits in Shirt Pocket

22-Range Pocket Digital Multimeter
Model: 22-820 | Catalog #: 22-820

$29.99

This digital multimeter,
folds up to easily fit in a shirt pocket.
Avail at Radio Shack .

I bought a couple of these,
they are Good Quality :prof:
and they are Smaller than most parts.
:bonk:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.