Poping and backfiring on deceleration

13 replies to this topic
  • racer_18

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:43 AM

I have a 98 yz400 with a big gun exhaust system and a probe 15:1 custom piston and i use 112 octane fuel. When i let off the throttle from a hard run it backfires a bunch. i checked the spark plug and its in ideal condition (coffee brown) and there is no leaks in the exhaust. can anybody point me in the right direction?

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:29 AM

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

http://www.thumperta...613#post3350613

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:30 PM

You are too lean, try richening the pilot

• Racer808

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:32 PM

I have a 98 yz400 with a big gun exhaust system and a probe 15:1 custom piston and i use 112 octane fuel. When i let off the throttle from a hard run it backfires a bunch. i checked the spark plug and its in ideal condition (coffee brown) and there is no leaks in the exhaust. can anybody point me in the right direction?

I would mess with the fuel screw first before jetting. some popping is good. depending on when the popping happens it could be lean pilot or main. but try your fuel screw first.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:51 AM

I beg to differ, popping is never good. My last bike and my current bike both have spot on jetting...no popping.

Like racer808 said, try tweaking the F/S first. If you have to go more than 2.5 turns out from seated you'll need to bump up the pilot 1 size. Nice thing about the 400's, 426's, and steel framed 450's is thats about a 3 minute job.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:11 PM

With all due respect, you can differ if you like, but both of mine pop a little on decel most of the time, and they are both jetted right. It's a part of the nature of the YZ450 to be more prone to this than other bikes, and it's completely harmless at normal, reasonable levels. If you verify the pilot setting according to Eddie Sisneros, most YZ450's will pop a little.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• William1

Posted March 28, 2008 - 03:33 PM

Popping is normal, backfires/explosions are not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:55 PM

Popping is normal, backfires/explosions are not.

Yeah, that's another way to say it.

• SincYZ450f

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:35 AM

Not enough back pressure in the exhaust system causes it to backfire a load when not on the throttle. That sounds like your problem. Try checking for crack/splits in the pipe or air leaks (at the joins) and give your packing a quick check. Thats wat happened to mine i had a crack in the header pipe.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2008 - 10:09 AM

Not enough back pressure in the exhaust system causes it to backfire a load when not on the throttle.

No, it doesn't. If that were true, all open exhaust systems would always backfire.

There are 3 things required to make something go bang. Heat, fuel, and air. Two of these are normally present in the exhaust system. The reason air leaks cause decel backfire is that they add the third ingredient, simple as that.

• SincYZ450f

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:30 AM

Mine woz backfiring a bunch until i fixed the crack in the header pipe. Now barely even backfires. So it DOES make a difference.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:59 AM

Mine woz backfiring a bunch until i fixed the crack in the header pipe. Now barely even backfires. So it DOES make a difference.

Was, not woz. And an air leak will cause decel backfiring, as I have now said at least 3 times in this thread alone. The problem with your statement was that you said the cause was "Not enough back pressure in the exhaust system", which is completely incorrect.

• jrny426

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:43 PM

I found air leaks on the intake side to cause alot of fartin but even my brand new 450 pops on decel a little

• racer_18

Posted April 11, 2008 - 10:33 AM

i took the carburaetor apart and the choke was stuck open a lil bit so i cleaned that up and put it back on and now it doesnt backfire anymore but sadly it leaks a lil bit so now i have to rebuild it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.