50+ Riders

83 replies to this topic
  • Coastie3202

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:50 AM

Great thread, some of those old bikes were works of art. I made amateur on a Rickman, that had Montesa VR250 motor in it. Fast, sure, handle? Not so much.....we had Ossas, Montesas, Puchs, Hercules, DKWs, Monarchs, Maicos, Bultacos, CZs, Pentons, AJS, and more in our group back in the day.

Ah! The Day. I do have to admit though that I wish they had bikes back then as light as todays, and with as much suspension travel. Then again, maybe not. I am fast on the ground, not in the air, because I learned to go fast on the ground.

The worst bike I had.....Yamaha TT 500. I would break something off that damn bike every time I went out. Went through three kickstarters alone. And of course the kickstarter never broken unless I was way out in the backcountry and down in a valley. Funnest bike.....Honda Elsinor 125.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:25 AM

The great thing about this thread is that when I say that I learned to ride on a Greeves with the springer front end people on here will know what I'm talking about. My second bike was a Maico. Looking back at the Greeves it amazes me when I think my XR400 was heavy. Geeze!

Greeves Challenger with a leading link fork and probably a "Blooey Pipe", too, I imagine. (for the unfamiliar, an exhaust system consisting of about 4 inches of header and a 12 inch megaphone terminating under the engine). Nope never heard of such a thing. :prof:

• steve_97060

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:58 PM

Ah! The Day. I do have to admit though that I wish they had bikes back then as light as todays, and with as much suspension travel. Then again, maybe not. I am fast on the ground, not in the air, because I learned to go fast on the ground.

The worst bike I had.....Yamaha TT 500. I would break something off that damn bike every time I went out. Went through three kickstarters alone. And of course the kickstarter never broken unless I was way out in the backcountry and down in a valley. Funnest bike.....Honda Elsinor 125.

I had a 125 Elsinore also, I honestly can't remember now if it was a 73 or 74... It was my first true MX bike, not like the many enduro bikes with parts removed and mods I had before it, that bike was amazing... it is still my favorite after all these years because of the giant leap in performance it had for that time, honda really nailed it with that one..

• aakmetz

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:08 PM

this is cool all old school stuff shows how great a passion it is to everyone. just had a 1974 yamaha dt250a given to me. because the guy knew i love off road bikes and he bought it new so he knew i'd give it a good home.(i think he almost wiped away a tear) sat since 1982 added it to my new school stuff 01 rm 125 and 02 yz125 started to carve away at it. stinky varnish tank and carb. seized engine, which i gently freed up w/ pb blaster, so far fun project should make nice bulldozer bike for woods riding

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:17 PM

just had a 1974 yamaha dt250a given to me.

I bought one of the first year (1968?) DT1's when they came out. White pearl tank, etc. If the tail light blew, you had to keep the revs below 4k or you'd blow the headlight, too.

• SXP

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:18 PM

This is one cool thread:applause: :bonk: Or, am I just showing my age...:prof:

• DeeCee

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:36 AM

I'm 57. Started riding again 2 years ago after a 30 year break. Really enjoying riding again.

Currently riding a YZ400 (in sand) and a BMW F650GS on road.

Aiming to do my first local Baja in 2 days time - looking forward to it.

• aakmetz

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:54 AM

48 lifes great, this is the best middle age crisis you can have. great exercise and good dirty fun. keep it rolling even though it steered away from yamaha its become a great thread alot of interesting stuff. quick trivia question how many watched the movie On any Sunday?

• EGPeil

Posted April 02, 2008 - 11:14 AM

I have the On Any Sunday DVD - the greatest movie ever. Me and my best friend Tom McAllister sat through 3 showings its opening day in the local theater in Santa Barbara CA. I had a Bultaco 125 Persang and he had a Penton 125 - it didn't get any better than that in those days.

• laserracer

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:55 PM

HI guys well im 51 my first bike was a 1972 tm 250 suzuki
had a great time on that, then brought a tm 400 that bike nearly killed me .So after a break of about 30 years :p ive just brought a yz426 :eek: :p :ride: :applause:
mmmaannn have bikes come a long way first time i rode it i nearly filled my pants:crazy: but as the day wore on those same feelings came flooding back you must remember up till now i hadnt fallen off the blue rocket and when i finally did fall off :p :prof: it does hurt more when you are older i cant wait for my first vet race
cheers Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted May 06, 2008 - 10:24 AM

I am 52

• mike_dean

Posted May 06, 2008 - 02:16 PM

Will be 55 in June, have a few Yamahas, ride MX, going to start riding my son's old TTR on the local go cart track on thursday nights, they open it up for riding of bikes 6-9pm, got some road tires coming. Ride the Husky on the street and to work, but most of my riding is at the MX track with my 19 yr old. I am fortunate, my wife is very understanding, she knows I need motorcycles and some adrenaline rushes now and then. When I was younger would ride my SL 100 to the scrambles track take the lights off and race then ride home, I wanted a Penton so bad back then, but I was busing tables and washing dishes, and assembling bikes on weekends at the local Honda shop. My honda was cool though, 21" frt wheel, fork kit koni shocks akront rims, homemade exhaust. Mike

• wolfie12

Posted May 06, 2008 - 07:23 PM

Last year, NESC introduced the 50+ class, and it got alot of older racers out of retirement, including me. I somehow managed to finish 2nd overall for each series, against some pretty talented guys. The guy who beat me, got 2nd at last years Budds Creek Loretta qualifier in the 40A class, behind JoJo Keller, so I don't feel too bad getting beat by him. This year, a whole bunch more came out of retirement, and I'm finding the competition to be very tough. As much as I like my new Yam, I've been on the ground more than I'd care to admit. Anyways, its a fast class, the top 10 guys are all on it, all former experts, no over the hill nonsense. 5 of the top 50 guys are also top ten 40 experts, that says something. Hell, I've 6th, and 12th in the 40 experts right now. There have been 18-20 guys each week this year, I think its awesome, despite the fact that I'm getting my @$$ beat.....for now. :eek:

• Coastie3202

Posted May 07, 2008 - 04:12 AM

:eek: :p :applause: :ride: :p :prof: :p :applause: :ride: :ride: :rant: :p :ride: :ride:
Big thanks to all who have responded to my thread. I did not realize how many of us were still out there raging through the woods and across the desert. Next time my wife tells me that it is time to grow up and slow down I'll have her read this thread. You all give me hope. I have always said that I will never be old enough for four wheels (i.e. quad), and will ride on two until I just can't get on it anymore. Then I'll probably find a younger guy to ride with who will put me on it.

True story. There is a guy in this area that is in his 70's. Ran desert races his entire life until he got Macular Degeneration. Even while losing his sight he continued to ride, but not compete. He is practially blind now, but switched over to a Banshee and rides with his two wheel buddies, who guide the way for him. The guy is wicked fast on that ATV. He has ridden the desert trail system in this area so much that he has it memorized. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2008 - 05:41 AM

Does the name Chuck "Feets" Minert mean anything to you? He was a top tier off road racer and dirt tracker in his day, and won the Catalina Island Grand Prix in 1957 (or thereabout), among other things. He's a Motorcycle Hall of Fame inductee, and he's currently a member of the MXA wrecking crew, and races every week. He's also something like 80 years old.

• EGPeil

Posted May 08, 2008 - 12:01 PM

I just noticed that at the Glenn Helen 12 hr endurance race this June 28th there is 50+ Ironman sportsman & pro classes.

• racerxx276

Posted May 08, 2008 - 04:47 PM

Spent so time at the local MX track last w/e. Was dicing with a bunch of 20 something expert kid's for about 20 min's. They finally pulled off tired after I passed them...(-;
they was so pissed when I told them I was 52... HA! They may be fearless , but we know when they are about to crash! Gotta love experience....

• kain522

Posted May 08, 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'm 47, but the end isn't even on the radar yet. Great thread, it's bringing back a lot of memories. I still have my first motocrosser, a 1977 Maico AW250. It's in pieces now, but I'm tracking down parts to restore it.

• hillclimbguy

Posted May 08, 2008 - 09:23 PM

My eyes are watering right now. I remember when my dad came back from Vietnam. First thing he did was go out and by two bikes. One was an Ossa 250 with the number plate in the rear fender and the other was an old Gemeni 90 for me. Life was great.
If he was still around he would love to hear the stories you guys have.
I'm still in my 40s, pushing 47, and hope to tell my son the stories I hear from you guys.
I would of liked to have My dad, myself and my son on a good trail ride.
That would of been good.

• seabee62

Posted May 08, 2008 - 09:53 PM

I am 47. My first bike was a Hodaka Super Rat 100. After a 28 year lay-off I bought a 2004 KX 250. I currently ride a 2006 YZ 250.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.