50+ Riders

83 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:51 PM

Well I am 51 I will be 52 real soon.
I don't race but I ride faster now than ever.. That is because the YZ was my first real motocrosser so I am a late starter. But I just ride desert..

• wolfie12

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:54 PM

The good news is that if you're still riding a dirtbike at 50+ years old, you're still young in spirit and likely in excellent physical condition for your age. I know I am, and wouldn't trade it for the world. :prof:

• the1_roadrunner

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:18 PM

The good news is that if you're still riding a dirtbike at 50+ years old, you're still young in spirit and likely in excellent physical condition for your age. I know I am, and wouldn't trade it for the world. :prof:

Right on!!!...... or should I say "ride on". I coudn't have it said better myself. I'm 50 as well and enjoy dirt biking as much now as I did when I was 10 years old.... It's gotten much much better with the new technology. More cushion for us old goats...lol. Just messin with you boys earlier. Gray I'm probably grayer then you...lol. --RR
:bonk:

• gord955

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:43 PM

I'm 52 still racing every weekend, just picked up 08 YZ450. I ride and race alot with Zoli Bereyni Sr, hes 74 and gives me a good run every time were out. We have a pretty good +50 class with lots of competition, +50 guys talk about riding, training, working out. It's a great sport to keep you young.
At the end of the day we talk about the racing over a cold one ot two. Great fun. Dosen't get much better than that:ride:

• Nitrox

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:25 PM

I'm 53 and still racing, or at least trying. Injuries are keeping me from the spring series but I'll make the fall series for sure. I race with a club called the Arizona Old Timers. Great Group of guys and gals, who believe in racing on Sunday and going to work on Monday.

We put on an international race a few weeks ago and I had a chance to meet a your man of 86 who was still racing. Man what a motivator he is!

I'm riding an 07 YZ450F. Great bike for an old guy!

Craig

• Valkrider15

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:34 PM

I'm a youngin here ;) - turning a mear 47 next Tuesday but I love my 2006 YZ450F and my 2003 YZ450F before that! Nothing like twisting that throttle and just feeling the bike dig and go. :confused:

Last ride out I let my buddy (50 yrs old) ride the bike while I jumped on his OLD YZ250. I got such a kick out of watching my bike leave me in the dust and simply float away into the desert. His smile was just slightly larger than mine. :bonk: Needless to say the YZ450F is on his shopping like now.

I'll check back in with you guys in another 3 years when I can officially join the 50 club. BTW - This buddy and myself play alot of beach volleyball and get a kick out of our "Team 96" (as in combined years) beating some the younger kids. :prof:

• BergArabia

Posted March 29, 2008 - 12:59 AM

One of our Qatar duners is 57..(he just picked up an 08 crf450 so I guess he plans to ride for a while) it is not that unusual, like someone said, a lot to do with attitude and keeping in shape..

• wolfie12

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:30 AM

I'm 53 and still racing, or at least trying. Injuries are keeping me from the spring series but I'll make the fall series for sure. I race with a [COLOR="Red"]club called the Arizona Old Timers. Great Group of guys and gals, who believe in racing on Sunday and going to work on Monday.
[/COLOR]
We put on an international race a few weeks ago and I had a chance to meet a your man of 86 who was still racing. Man what a motivator he is!

Craig

Too funny....we call our group "FOG" racing....as in fast old guys, or fat old guys, depending on the time of the year hahah. 86?!?!? Holy cow, I hope I can still ride a dirtbike then, but I'm tellin ya now....I want electric start.

• aakmetz

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:48 AM

great to hear such a group had a 1976 rm 125 at 17 now umpteen years later 01 rm 125 retired racer its my other woman which my wife approves of also great time w/ teenage sons ke100 and yz 125 watching old man do it to it great middle age medicine keeps me off cardiac care due to adrennaline 48 still shredding terra firma

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:14 AM

young un of 48 here. Seems like all the guys who are REALLY fast and can kick my a#* are older than me. Hoping that as time goes on I will get faster as well. Love riding with kids and smokin em and then taking off the helmet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted March 30, 2008 - 04:59 AM

Cripes, I guess I am a baby, respectively in this thread.

MY first real bike was a used '77 RM125, and that was it, I was hooked. I started racing in 1983 with a '82 RM125, never got beyond amatuer, but I still throw a leg over every weekend. I still do club MX, and enduros.. (It just get a little harder every monday morning to get out of bed now..... :prof:

• DRTYHRRY

Posted March 30, 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'm 53 and still racing, or at least trying. Injuries are keeping me from the spring series but I'll make the fall series for sure. I race with a club called the Arizona Old Timers. Great Group of guys and gals, who believe in racing on Sunday and going to work on Monday.

Craig

Info on the Oldtimer twelve race series -

http://home.comcast.net/~russrr/

• tom nolan

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:55 AM

I've raced in the deserts of southern california for years, perhaps 100 or more races, until I finely bit the big one. I'm 59 now and I still go out there at least twice a month. When I smoke some of the younger guys, It's priceless to see the looks on their faces when I take off my helmet.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 31, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I've raced in the deserts of southern california for years, perhaps 100 or more races, until I finely bit the big one. I'm 59 now and I still go out there at least twice a month. When I smoke some of the younger guys, It's priceless to see the looks on their faces when I take off my helmet.

Remember "youth an talent is no replacement for age and treachery"...... :bonk:

I sometimes also keep the young snot nosed punks in the in the hay bails as well..... at least on the first lap...... :prof:

It's pretty funny when I feel pressure from behind from someone on a 2 stroke, and a kid goes screaming by me on an 85cc bike .... :confused:

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:08 AM

I was just out running the the D38 Hare and Hound yesterday. Lots of fun. :prof:

• EGPeil

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:26 AM

Signing in - 51 yrs old and still at it. I have an 03 YZ450F, placed 6th in the +50 Sr at the Reddick FL Vet National this past month. Not as fast as I once was but still twisting the the loud stick. Hope to follow gdbarr1976 this yr at the 08 Baja 500. Have several friends here in the Jacksonville FL area that are 50+ and still race.

• bleetham

Posted March 31, 2008 - 04:04 PM

My first real motocrosser was a 1971 250 Ossa Stiletto. Racing with the Over the Hill Gang has been great, we have a pretty large group of +50 Novices. One of the guys is 64 and still going strong. My YZ 450 is perfect for my abilities and class.

• Coastie3202

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:09 AM

The great thing about this thread is that when I say that I learned to ride on a Greeves with the springer front end people on here will know what I'm talking about. My second bike was a Maico. Looking back at the Greeves it amazes me when I think my XR400 was heavy. Geeze!

• wolfie12

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:57 AM

Great thread, some of those old bikes were works of art. I made amateur on a Rickman, that had Montesa VR250 motor in it. Fast, sure, handle? Not so much.....we had Ossas, Montesas, Puchs, Hercules, DKWs, Monarchs, Maicos, Bultacos, CZs, Pentons, AJS, and more in our group back in the day.

• Tumblin

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:24 AM

I'm finding it harder and harder to prep myself for the upcoming season. I stayed healthy through last season, but in the off season play riding I took several spills that just lingered on my body. I'm back mountain biking and my first race back is this weekend. I'm not even excited, but like years past once the gate drops, I should be good. I think it's important to keep racng so your speed stays with you, I have backed it down some but still run at the top of our local 40+A class. I never thought when riding those old CZ's (had 3) that I would ever be able to compete at my age (51), but the bikes work so well it's easy to stay on top of them. Physical conditioning is everything and that's getting a lot harder to stay on top of.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.