50+ Riders

83 replies to this topic
  • Coastie3202

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:17 AM

How many 50 plus year olds on here are riding the YZ 450F? I'm 53. With age I have found that I can afford faster bikes. I love it....the wife doesn't. :prof:

• toofast2

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:50 AM

How many 50 plus year olds on here are riding the YZ 450F? I'm 53. With age I have found that I can afford faster bikes. I love it....the wife doesn't. :prof:

Coastie,there are a couple,more than you think,but they don't want to reveal
there,Hmmm,age,I say,if your body can still take it,just go a little slower,and
where proper protection,and when you do occasionally beat the younger guy
and when you take off your helmet,the look on there face is PRICELESS!

• wolfie12

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:13 PM

Im 50 and just bought a new 08 YZ450f. I've been riding since I was 12 years old, and have raced off and on since 74. I got back into racing in a big way last year and raced the whole NESC spring and fall series. I plan on doing the same again this year. I switched from Honda, because Yamaha is the only mfg paying contingency in the 50+ class. I've only gotten two rides on it so far, the stock motor doesn't have the snort that my Hondas had down low, but I hope to fix that by replacing the exhaust. The rest of the bike is just awesome, I'm very happy with it.

• eazrider

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:21 PM

56 plus, and I'm not slowing down to look back, been doing it since '68...

• wolfie12

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I raced against one guy who was 64 years old, and had been at it forever as well. Another guy just hit 60 years old. I think its awesome, and serves as a good example for the kids. Obviously we want to stay off the ground as much as possible, but the rush and the thrill is still there, and you can't beat the exercise. I still have good enough speed to keep most of the b kids behind me too which really confounds them when I take my helmet off and steam is coming off my bald head......:prof:

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Gray is an adjective, not a proper noun. :prof:

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:09 AM

I know this is OT, but last time out I ran into an older guy on an XR 600. He said he was going to turn 80 in a couple of weeks :prof: You should have seen him climbing them hills...full on attack mode and everything

Most people I know that are 80 could barely walk, let alone swing their leg over a 290 lb motorcycle. I guess the old saying is true after all..."you don't quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quitting riding"

• DBMX 925

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:37 AM

I'm going to be be 50 in October. 2006 YZ450. I wish I hadn't taken a 22 year layoff. But, you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!!!

• wheeldude

Posted March 28, 2008 - 03:44 AM

51 and still at it. My 07 YZ450F is the funnest bike to ride I've had so far. Still fun to go out and wax the kids. The ground does somehow seem harder than it used to though when you bail !!!!!!!!!!! WD

• Coastie3202

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:11 AM

Im 50 and just bought a new 08 YZ450f. I've been riding since I was 12 years old, and have raced off and on since 74. I got back into racing in a big way last year and raced the whole NESC spring and fall series. I plan on doing the same again this year. I switched from Honda, because Yamaha is the only mfg paying contingency in the 50+ class. I've only gotten two rides on it so far, the stock motor doesn't have the snort that my Hondas had down low, but I hope to fix that by replacing the exhaust. The rest of the bike is just awesome, I'm very happy with it.

I'm running the GYTR exhaust with head pipe. It make a difference and increases the grunt and snort down low. Damn expensive though. A year ago I thought I was getting "too old" for this offroad motorcycle stuff, so I sold the XR400 and bought a Kawi Brute Force 750 quad. Thought it would be safer. Found out quickly that I am not "too old" and could not slow down on the 650 lb quad, which quickly try to kill me. Got smart and traded the quad for the 07 YZ 450F, which was a demo that belonged to my local dealer. The owner of the shop used it as a showcase for GYTR aftermarket accessories, so I got a great bike with a lot of afternarket goodies. The bu\ike only had about 18 hours of riding, by the owner of the shop only. I've been riding with this guy for years so know how he takes care of his bikes. I'm a lucky man.:prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coastie3202

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:14 AM

From the looks of the replies to my post it looks like I picked the right forum to hang out in. Lots of experience here, and when I get on and whine about aches and pains, a lot of folks will understand where I'm coming from (LOL). Thanks guys and I look forward to a fun time on the forum, and on the trails.

• wolfie12

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:29 AM

First open practice of the season at Southwick on Sunday.....yeeehaaaawww!!!:prof:

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:56 AM

Turned 50 in Dec. Soloed the Baja 500 last year. Going to try it again this year on a 08 yz450. My 79yr old dad rides a ktm 250 and my 48 yr old sister races road bikes and ktm300 of road.

• the1_roadrunner

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:09 AM

Dayum! I'm hanging out with a bunch of old farts on this forum... :prof:

• btray

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Road back in the early 70s thru 85...took a break until my son now 30 got me back into it...man have bikes changed. We rebuilt the old track at the farm and now ride most every weekend on track or in National Forest. I'm 55 and my first grandson is 2...just got him a electric 4 wheeler until he gets old enough for yzinger 50. My son had one by 4 and we couldnt wear it out so we gave it to my brother-in-laws kids and they traded it for three wheelers back in the day. Anyway I ride 450 and can smoke my son for about ten minutes then I'm following him. On the track he's faster all the time. Having a great time because both brother-in-laws jumped back in so we have a foursome most of the time until someone breaks a bone or something. I plan to ride with my grandson some day.

Blessings on all!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:33 AM

Dayum! I'm hanging out with a bunch of old farts on this forum... :prof:

Stop making mistakes like that, and you could live to be my age. :bonk:

• steve_97060

Posted March 28, 2008 - 02:29 PM

I'm going to be be 50 in October. 2006 YZ450. I wish I hadn't taken a 22 year layoff. But, you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!!!

same here, just turned... got back into it with an 06 YZ450 after a 20 year layoff...

damn, I also have to add, it sure is tough looking at my sig now and seeing that big ol "50" there.. :bonk: :prof:

• mike_dean

Posted March 28, 2008 - 03:43 PM

I'll be 55 this june, I also frequent the Husky forum and there is a bunch of over the hill guys there too. Mike

• zuk931

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:27 PM

How many 50 plus year olds on here are riding the YZ 450F? I'm 53. With age I have found that I can afford faster bikes. I love it....the wife doesn't. :bonk:

hey coastie,im one year away from the big 50. i ride a 05 rm 125.keeps me in shape and i love the sound of a 125.im going to get a 250 2 stroke as soon as the wife finds another job.but,im keeping my 125.they are a blast to ride.:prof:

• jef

Posted March 28, 2008 - 05:39 PM

One thing I noticed when I take soil samples, when I was young I used to roll. Now it seems I just stick:confused:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.