Edlebrock slight cracked throttle burble

26 replies to this topic
  • Thumpage

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:02 AM

I have the HRC tip, otherwise a stock exhaust. Right now the average temperature is about 25, and i am at 1000 feet of elevation. I do ride a lot of open spaces, but also play in the valleys.
I was running the 19E and had good pull from top to bottom, but when i backed off i felt i had far too much popping and banging, as if it were to lean from long wide open pulls. Also I had adjusted the mid range as rich as it could go with no affect on the popping and banging.
My current hypothesis is that with the 21E needle I should be able to eliminate the popping and banging, then then slowly lean it out with the needle adjustment until i get slight popping and banging back on deceleration.

If this needle proves too rich I may "tune" it by modifying my airbox, and/or my exhaust further.

Also when running the stock carb, I found all the posted needle and jet settings to be far too lean. Never did get that carb to perform well, though I never tried to go much richer with it. Perhaps I have an extra healthy engine that likes it's air and fuel, or perhaps my fuel is different than what you guys run down there.

Hmm. Thanks for filling us in with details. Keep us posted.

• prairiexr

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:20 PM

There is - http://www.denniskir...=p172259&mmyId=

EUREKA!

• Thumpage

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:10 PM

Actually, that is the first time I have ever seen a 20E needle listing. I checked Edelbrocks website also and it is listed there as well. For some reason I always remember a skip from the 19E to the 21E. :bonk: :prof:

Things that make you go, Hmmm...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hope it helps towards getting it dialed at least a little better. Do your best to try and make it out to the ride. :prof:

I am doing my very best to make the ride, but it will not be with the BRP. I will bring the X.

• Thumpage

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:58 PM

I am doing my very best to make the ride, but it will not be with the BRP. I will bring the X.

If it's the X, then so be it. You can try my bike out with the lightened flywheel. :prof:

• prairiexr

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:45 AM

Actually, that is the first time I have ever seen a 20E needle listing. I checked Edelbrocks website also and it is listed there as well. For some reason I always remember a skip from the 19E to the 21E. :bonk: :prof:

Things that make you go, Hmmm...

I'll be definetly giving this new needle a go. I remember in the past guys made their own versions of a 20E but never seeing one offered by Edelbrock.

• asf

Posted April 02, 2008 - 05:24 AM

I was inbetween as well and called Edelbrock. I was told by tech after tech after tech that the difference between a 17 and 18 was too small to make any difference on the bike. I said BS, the difference between a 17 and a 19 is HUGE (literally the difference between it fouling the plug on a quick freeway ride, to barely starting and popping non stop), so a 17 to 18 is going to be half of HUGE:prof: It was just too rich or too lean with the two needles that came with the carb.

So, I called up Edelbrock and they sent me what I needed:applause: I would deal directly through them, their techs know alot and really like to help if you need some advice.

One thing on the edelbrock, the set screws on the throttle pulley back off frequently. Since the shaft is not splined, your cracked throttle may not be actually twisitng the pulley. It caused all sorts of issues on my bike (especially with aberrant idle) and I almost sold the carb not knowing what was wrong with it. If you are tinkering with it, I would 2x check those screws and soak them in loctite.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.