426 YZ newbie blues

13 replies to this topic
  • niterider40

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:12 PM

I recently bought a 01 yz 426 used for 1500 bucks, I thought that was a good deal until it stopped running the next day. I took it to the yamaha shop and they told me there was a big chunk out of the piston along with other parts ruined and it would cost 2800 bucks to repair all the damage. Yes I'm a dumb ass for getting in this mess but is there a way out or is this thing doomed to take up room in my spare bedroom for the next 5 years? I found a 99 wr 400 engine for 675 bucks but will it work? What other engine swaps could I look for? Maybe I should stick to bicycles.

• BRYANS01

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:51 PM

First of all ask them how much of that was labor if you have the ability to do it yourself then that will save you a ton. just look on the tt store oem parts and you can get things for pretty cheap on ebay, depending on how bad the head is you can eather replace it or have it fixed, did it hurt the bottom end at all or is it all top end?. Im sure gray will respond to this with alot better advise than i can give but for the head and cylinder here is a website that will help you. http://www.lukesraci...strokelabor.htm

rem. keep an eye out on ebay there are alot of 426 parts on there.

• Thumpy79

Posted March 27, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Wow, $2800 bucks. That has to include the bottom end or a lot of labor, I bet you can find a cheaper used engine out there. Not sure about the WR400 engine working, I know that a lot of the aftermarket stuff will fit WR/YZ 98-02 so the frames might line up.

• YZ450Fahk

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:27 AM

Take the bike back to to person you bought it from and try to get your $ back, bikes just don't blow up for no reason. It could have been neglected or treated badly. Did you sign a bill of sale? Surely the person that sold it to you could do something for you.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Wow, $2800 bucks. That has to include the bottom end or a lot of labor, I bet you can find a cheaper used engine out there. Not sure about the WR400 engine working, I know that a lot of the aftermarket stuff will fit WR/YZ 98-02 so the frames might line up.

i would check on the labor and my means to do it myself....

if that is no-go I would then look into the probability of the wr motor fitting into the frame that you have...nothing wrong with a wr anyway....

I guess it can't hurt to call the guy that sold it to you..especially if he seemed like a decent one but i've never had good luck with such calls.

good luck dude...I'll ship you my complete 426 for a price :prof:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:48 AM

To understand what you would be getting for 2800....we need to understand exactly what they are replacing. Right now the price sounds ridiculous.

I would find out what other tuners (not Dealerships) in your area would charge you to fix it. :prof:

• Wiz636

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:54 AM

To understand what you would be getting for 2800....we need to understand exactly what they are replacing. Right now the price sounds ridiculous.
I would find out what other tuners (not Dealerships) in your area would charge you to fix it. :prof:

No doubt. I would sell my '02 426 to you that is in excellent condition and all set up for offroad use for less than that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • USED YZ426F

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:17 PM

I don't know if a 99 WR 400 engine will bolt in, but you can probably modify the frame and fab some brackets to make it work. Grayracer will probably be able to answer for certain if it will fit without a lot of fab work.

Sorry to tell you this, but others have been hinting at it. The bike isn't worth $4300 ($1500 purchase + $2800 engine repair). It isn't even worth the $2800 that the shop wants to rob from you.

Without knowing everything that the shop is going to replace, and how much they are charging you for the parts and labor, it is difficult to say how bad they are trying to rip you off.

I would try to talk with the person I bought it from. There is no way that a bike should have had such a catastrophic failure like you've described after only one day of riding. But, like others have mentioned, I rather doubt you will get any satisfaction from the seller.

You can download the manual for it, and it will show you everything you ever wanted to know about tearing the engine apart. If you are mechanically inclined and have a basic set of metric wrenches, some feeler gauges, a torque wrench and a fly wheel puller, you can try to give it a go yourself. You would at least save a wad of cash on the labor costs.

Other than that, you can try looking for an engine on eBay or through your local paper (but being in Alaska, I am guessing there aren't a lot of options locally).

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:54 PM

Take the bike back to to person you bought it from and try to get your $ back, bikes just don't blow up for no reason. It could have been neglected or treated badly. Did you sign a bill of sale? Surely the person that sold it to you could do something for you.

Used bikes are sold "as is, with all defects, concealed or obvious", unless specified otherwise in a contract signed by both parties to the sale. To go beyond that, you will have to prove that the seller knowingly and deliberately misrepresented something.

The 400 engine may fit, but then you'll have a "bastardized" hash of different years/parts. Your best two options, IMO, are to repair it yourself, perhaps using a used 426 engine, or part the bike out and start over. The wheels are worth around $300 (depending) or more as it is.

• YELL-OSNAKE

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:52 AM

Tear it apart and fix it yourself, with the manual, and our members help. You will learn boat loads about the bike, can order the parts as you get the money, and you will KNOW the bike has been re-built. I bought one of those "totaled" bikes from a dealer. The head dropped a valve, needed another head, piston, alot of clutch parts, etc, but I've only spent out @700 in parts, Know my engine is done right, and now (finally) have a fine ride. I took a few months, and ALOT of evenings and weekends, but was worth it in the long run.

• xr-jorger

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:31 PM

do yourself a favor and fix it yourself. My buddy's ktm blew up, and we fixed it for $300

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 28, 2008 - 04:20 PM

Agreed, used sales are as-is. :prof: All it takes is something simple like a worn cam chain jumping a tooth or two to cause a big mess inside. I vote rebuild it yourself, or buy another bike and really check it out good. 4-strokes can run fantastic until one small but important part lets go and causes a mess. Next time have the motor checked by someone knowledgeable before you buy. Not the local dealer, but someone with real knowledge.

• niterider40

Posted March 30, 2008 - 08:55 AM

thanx for all the info guys, I found a really good running 98 wr400 for 1400 bucks that I bought yesterday. I figure I could use the engine in the yz if I have to or part out the yz, so I'm kinda happy I'll be riding again.

• GENE426

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:02 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

OR part it out and maybe make money off this bad situation

Hell just read you post as i posted mine
Part out all the leftovers and maybe come out with $2500 :prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.