Thinking about buying a 82 yz250

13 replies to this topic
  • city hunter

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:09 PM

I went and looked at one today. Has some low compression, it's a real bear to start cold but starts right up when it's warm. Overall the bike is in pretty good shape.

I noticed the front shocks are limp though, looks like they need air in them or whatever they fill them with. The rear shock seems a bit soft too.

I can get it for a pretty good deal 375 or so, or maybe even trade one of my atc110 for it.

Anyhow, I wanted tog et some input on the bike. I notice pistons for it are only listed for 80-82, and parts seem fairly rare. This will be my dirst newer 2 stroke if I get it, I just dont want to end up with a unreliable engine or a situation where it is tough to get parts for. Anyone had experience with these?

• RCannon

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:16 PM

These were an awful bike. Notice how the coolant runs through the steering head. They corrode and leak. the rear suspension is worse than any year yamaha ever made. The bike is also very heavy. An 81 or an 83 would be miles ahead. Everything in my heart says not to get it...then I came to the part about trading an atc for it. Now I am not so sure.

Pistons are no problem for the bike, but REALLY be sure you want to put money in it before you get started. Figure it costing 3 times as much as you plan for.

• city hunter

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:42 PM

Yeah I noticed there seemed to be some leaking through the neck on the bike. Maybe I should just forget about it and keep looking. I cant figure for the life of me why they routed it that way.

So that monoshock setup is a one year deal I take it?

As for the atc, It runs good and is quite fun to plow through the mud around here, probably worth more than the yz lol.

• UpAllNight

Posted March 26, 2008 - 07:18 PM

everything Rcannon said pretty much sums it up.

This bike in best condition is a wreck if your looking to actually ride it. Now if its for vintage use and you dont mind dumping a load of money and time in it then thats another story.

I owned a 83 YZ250 in the years 1997 to 1999, and even though it was a fun project, it costed me alot of money and time. I honistly dont think that even in the best conditions these bike can be very relieable because they just wernt built very well compared to todays standards.

Its hard to give an exact year on when the bikes are just plainly better, but its sure to say that anything newer in years is always better. I would look for something much younger if I was looking to actually ride it and wanted it to be halfway relieable.

But then again, its for a trade for a ATC. Maybe trade and sell before it grabs your heart and wallet?

• city hunter

Posted March 27, 2008 - 01:05 AM

What exactly is unreliable on them? The cooling looks like a nightmare, but I think you could reroute the lines with some work. I'm just into the late 70s and early 80s bikes. not looking for a full restore, but nice enough to look good and ride around on the local logging roads and what not..

• RCannon

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:49 AM

Its probably easier to ask just what part is reliable....The inner tubes in the tires will only cause problems if punctured. The 82 was not a well developed motorcycle. The rear suspension was an afterthought. The rear shock is not reliable and will cost a lot to deal with. The cooling system is bad and is pretty much not fixable. You can route the hoses around the steeringhead. Also with 25 years of corrosion in place, you might not get the steering head apart.

Some of the older yz 250's were decent, just not this one.

• RCannon

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:00 AM

Its probably easier to ask just what part is reliable....The inner tubes in the tires will only cause problems if punctured. The 82 was not a well developed motorcycle. The rear suspension was an afterthought. The rear shock is not reliable and will cost a lot to deal with. The cooling system is bad and is pretty much not fixable. You can route the hoses around the steeringhead. Also with 25 years of corrosion in place, you might not get the steering head apart.

Some of the older yz 250's were decent, just not this one.

Before trade for the 82 yz, I would do a few things first. Just sit on the atc seat and make motorcycle noises. It will be much more rewarding than the 82. The other option would be removing 1 wheel from the atc. It will handle better than the 82 if you do this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aleman

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:10 AM

I raced a 82 in 1982 and recently sold one that I had restored. I hated it in 82 and when I restored the one, I remembered why..For crusing around on logging roads, it would be fine. But racing one is another story..They are very heavy!! and wide. Kind of like riding a couch..they had strong engines and seemed to turn pretty decent..

• RCannon

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:22 AM

[quote name='Aleman']I raced a 82 in 1982 and recently sold one that I had restored. I hated it in 82 and when I restored the one, I remembered why..

Now, thats humor at its finest. To the original poster....I thin you should offer the trade on Craigs list or a local classified. I bet you will get better offers. I bet people out there collect old atc's. You never know if one of them has a 250 they dont use.

A friend just sold a 2002 kx 250 for 1200.00 last week. I would have bought it if I knew. I was with him the day he rode it and part of the running time was with me on it. Bike had well under 5 hours on it.

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:26 AM

If you really have to have an '80s YZ, I would personally look for nothing older than about an '85/86. By then, Yamaha had been refining the rear suspension for a few years and it was lightyears ahead of the '82 rear end.

Wasn't '82 the only year of that rear suspension configuration? I though '81 still had the original style monoshock rear, and '83 went to the style that they used well in to the '90s.

The cooling system was a more standard configuration (I believe that '82 was the only year Yamaha had the radiator behind the front number plate).

Also, the powervalve (YPVS) came in around that time (can't remember the exact year) and it only got better and more refined as the years progressed.

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:23 AM

I had an 83 yz125 and a buddy of mine had the 82 yz250.

The monoshock with similar linkage was the same for 83 as well. The 83 models were good bikes, pretty stable at speed, had bounchy suspension tho...and the yamahop was REAL. You could haul ass on them but they all needed suspension work unless you liked to bounce off of rocks, the trail and wind up pointed in a different direction. yamaha's fasteners back then were about as soft as gouda cheese.

The 82 was okay by those standards. It had a good engine, passable suspension but felt heavy with the radiator on the forks. It resembled more an XR in handling characteristics but would do fine as an offroad bike.

here's the lowdown

If the 82 is $100 and you dont sink a dime into it, buy it. Ride it till it blows up and throw it away. It's not worth anything over 300. its not a collectors item and it wouldnt be worth the trouble to fix up.

• FamilyMan

Posted March 27, 2008 - 09:48 AM

You said your only "into" 70's and early 80's bikes. Is this because you like vintage bikes, or because of money issues?

If money, save longer and buy something newer. It will be worth it.

If it is because you like vintage bikes (and I don't know anyone who prefers their main bike to be a vintage) then there are much better options out there. I too have had experience with the junk number plate radiator:thumbsdn:

• RCannon

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:34 PM

[quote name='MotoGoalie']I had an 83 yz125 and a buddy of mine had the 82 yz250.

The monoshock with similar linkage was the same for 83 as well. The 83 models were good bikes, pretty stable at speed, had bounchy suspension tho...and the yamahop was REAL. You could haul ass on them but they all needed suspension work unless you liked to bounce off of rocks, the trail and wind up pointed in a different direction. yamaha's fasteners back then were about as soft as gouda cheese.

The 82's were the only year with the goofy linkage and long shock. They did all they could to stay competitive, but it did not work so well.

http://www.bikepics....ictures/580628/ It was changed to something much better in 83. Notice the 83 pictured here. Very close to normal.

There is no problem with liking vintage bikes.....just the 82 yz's.

Your not kidding on the fasteners...they were bad....bad is not really the word for it , but I would have to infract myself if I said what I am thinking.

• city hunter

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:00 PM

it's just personal preference. I've grown up riding bikes like ct110s and yamaha tw200s, the 91 or 94 cant even remember now dr250 was lightyears ahead of both the other bikes in handling, but really I dont ride crazy enough anymore to really worry about it anymore. I tend to have fun on everything. I just like the look and feel of the older bikes.

Personally I thought the 82 was quite light, then again im use to bikes that weigh in at around 280lbs.

Anyhow, I dont have any time to get it even if I wanted to. I got dispatched out to bum F nowhere for a coal fire plant downtime for the next 16 days :prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ250 Fuel Knock? by RussTheRush

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Modifying Triple Clamps by RIDER44

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Engineering and Technology
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

My Official LECTRON Carb REVIEW - Two Stroke Use Case - 2002 CR250 by kawi008

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ85 2013 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ85 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250f reliability? from 2 stroke to 4 stroke by Anderay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.