Hesitant 650L blinkers

19 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted March 26, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Talkin 94 650L here .........

I noticed my blinkers are hesitant to go on and blink.

It takes 2-4 tries to get L to blink and sometimes 2 on the right.

Could this be just dirt inside the handlebar switch on the contacts or could it be the flasher ?

If it was the flasher I would think both sides would react the same, no?

Where is the flasher ?

Anything else I should check ?

• Rockjockey

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:02 PM

Clean and lube the switch using contact cleaner and dielectric grease. Mine did the same thing when it was cold and this cured the problem. The flasher is behind the front number plate/fairing.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:14 PM

What Rock said, and dirty contacts anywhere in the circuit can do this.

Switch is the worst offender, start there, if its still flaky, try the bulb sockets next.

Dave

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Talkin 94 650L here .........

I noticed my blinkers are hesitant to go on and blink.

It takes 2-4 tries to get L to blink and sometimes 2 on the right.

Could this be just dirt inside the handlebar switch on the contacts or could it be the flasher ?

If it was the flasher I would think both sides would react the same, no?

Where is the flasher ?

Anything else I should check ?

If it turns out to be the flasher I've got one you can have. :prof:

• Huffa 2

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Clean and lube the switch using contact cleaner and dielectric grease. Mine did the same thing when it was cold and this cured the problem. The flasher is behind the front number plate/fairing.

YEP, in the cold is when I 1st noticed it, will do what you say, thank you!

Thanks all others and for sure Wild turkey, I'll take you up on that if it is the flasher, most likely the switch though.

The dielectric grease, is that in a spray can or is it a paste like substance ? Who makes it and any auto parts store should have it ?

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:06 PM

YEP, in the cold is when I 1st noticed it, will do what you say, thank you!

Thanks all others and for sure Wild turkey, I'll take you up on that if it is the flasher, most likely the switch though.

The dielectric grease, is that in a spray can or is it a paste like substance ? Who makes it and any auto parts store should have it ?

yes......auto stores have it.....it looks and feels just like vasoline.......it comes in little packets for 99 cents sometimes labeled bulb grease or spark plug boot grease........all same stuff:thumbsup:

• truck6driver

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Yea my 94' has been doing the same thing lately in the cold. It is not the flasher. I have just been too lazy to take the switch apart. I just hit the left signal a long time before turning. The right works fine.

RH

• martinfan30

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:32 PM

Yeah its the switch. My left turn does it quite often cold.

Like others say, disassemble, clean and lube the switch with dielectric grease.

• Huffa 2

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:54 AM

Yeah its the switch. My left turn does it quite often cold.

Like others say, disassemble, clean and lube the switch with dielectric grease.

:bonk: I guess we must all make more right turns then the left and that part stays cleaner

Off subject a bit but it reminds me, UPS or one of those companies did a study and found if they route their guys with as little L turns as possible, it saves a lot of time, so that's what they do! ....... :prof: that's what my wife told me anyway.

• Denn10

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:49 AM

same with mine and the nice thing is after you get it cleaned and lubed it operates so much more smoothly. When you split the left side switch there is a phillips screw that holds a metal piece on the bottom half. under that is another that holds the switch on, take that off and clean everything well. There is a ball on a spring for the centering device that you can get the straw of the contact cleaner in so spray all that good and go easy with the dielectric as you dont need gobs. nothing really to come flying out when you disassemble so its prolly a 20 min job to clean and put back together

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:39 AM

same with mine and the nice thing is after you get it cleaned and lubed it operates so much more smoothly. When you split the left side switch there is a phillips screw that holds a metal piece on the bottom half. under that is another that holds the switch on, take that off and clean everything well. There is a ball on a spring for the centering device that you can get the straw of the contact cleaner in so spray all that good and go easy with the dielectric as you dont need gobs. nothing really to come flying out when you disassemble so its prolly a 20 min job to clean and put back together

Thanks Denn !

" nothing really to come flying out when you disassemble " ......I hate when that happens :prof:

• gearloos

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:27 AM

Turn signals? The dealer told me that button was suspension settings for Race or Luxury!!!
Guess I should push it once in awhile.
lol

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:26 AM

:bonk: I guess we must all make more right turns then the left and that part stays cleaner

Off subject a bit but it reminds me, UPS or one of those companies did a study and found if they route their guys with as little L turns as possible, it saves a lot of time, so that's what they do! ....... :prof: that's what my wife told me anyway.

Yeah, I heard this and looked into it a bit awhile ago- their route planning software tries to find the best route for all the packages on the truck, and it favors right turns over left because generally they're faster. I assume out in the boonies they don't worry about this so much!

Dave

• Motosprtman

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:27 AM

My XL600R has the mini blinker installed in the back and they are S-L-O-W. I think it comes from resistance.. I am no electrician - but I spliced in the rear stock turn signals on my 93 XR650L and they blink normal... the splices on the XL600R that someone did used piss poor connectors, big nasty blue crimpers, and the wrong gage wire (really thin) and I think that makes it blink slow, I need to rewire them and see if they come back to normal.

Bottom line look for heavy resistance and or a poor ground.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:29 AM

My UPS man makes 3 lefts to get to my place out in the boonies...and he comes almost everday - and always - well almost always has bike parts for me. :-) and or stuff for my wife from HSN TV shoppin etc...

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:44 AM

The lower the resistance in the circuit, the slower they blink.
More resistance=faster blink.

This is why if you ever get behind a car with a blinker on, and you notice the signal is blinking pretty quick... The front turn signal bulb is probably burnt out.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:54 AM

Damn your smart!

Ok then look for low resistance..... ;-)

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:56 AM

I think in Huffas case its the switch though.

Even if you change to a different bulb type it can happen.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:11 PM

The lower the resistance in the circuit, the slower they blink.
More resistance=faster blink.

This is why if you ever get behind a car with a blinker on, and you notice the signal is blinking pretty quick... The front turn signal bulb is probably burnt out.

I think most bike/car flashers are the opposite, although I have had some that work the way you describe.

It depends on whether the little heater in the flasher unit gets hot when the circuit to the lights is closed, or open.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:54 PM

I think most bike/car flashers are the opposite, although I have had some that work the way you describe.

It depends on whether the little heater in the flasher unit gets hot when the circuit to the lights is closed, or open.

Dave

Yeah, flasher aside if the resistance is elsewhere in the circuit you will see that issue.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.