Adding an evaporative fuel canister

23 replies to this topic
  • Ch47_pilot

Posted April 04, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Damn. For all the gas I have lost through my atmospherically vented fuel cap in the last 6 months, I prolly coulda enjoyed a free Big Mac for lunch today. Thing is, after the bike is sitting in hot sun, when a carb overflow: ie: also known as a carburetor bowl vent line becomes pressurized due to being hooked up to another vent line: ie tank vent, and eventually pressures build on either side and the vapor needs to vent somewhere. Question is, where is it going to vent now? Might make for some troublesome hot starts after its been sitting. If you're that worried about saving gas, you should possibly consider a moped. If the smell of gas is that detrimental, well, I dont think there is any good advice there. Usually I only smell like gas after I'm working on my carb.

• cornelieaz

Posted April 04, 2008 - 05:54 PM

Damn. For all the gas I have lost through my atmospherically vented fuel cap in the last 6 months, I prolly coulda enjoyed a free Big Mac for lunch today. Thing is, after the bike is sitting in hot sun, when a carb overflow: ie: also known as a carburetor bowl vent line becomes pressurized due to being hooked up to another vent line: ie tank vent, and eventually pressures build on either side and the vapor needs to vent somewhere. Question is, where is it going to vent now? Might make for some troublesome hot starts after its been sitting. If you're that worried about saving gas, you should possibly consider a moped. If the smell of gas is that detrimental, well, I dont think there is any good advice there. Usually I only smell like gas after I'm working on my carb.

You wouldn't think it's that much gas...that is until you see it collect and pool up after every ride. I rode it hot. I let it sit in the AZ sun. It's a black tank. Still ran perfect. I'm sure you vent a bit through the jets in that event.

Better MPG. There's no reason not to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ch47_pilot

Posted April 04, 2008 - 06:34 PM

If you're that concerned about the MPG of a motorcycle... :prof: Mine is street legal for 1 reason. I ain't paying for truck gas. BTW I'm from AZ. I miss AZ. At least there I'm not out the middle of a trail at full throttle and stall out, and have to get off and drain off all the water that has settled to the bottom of my carb bowl due to the %%@#$$$ humidity here.

• cornelieaz

Posted April 05, 2008 - 12:12 PM

Before I did this, I could see out of the tank cap, and out of the carb line, vapors pouring out all day like transparent smoke almost. Not good. If you've ever watched how fast fuel evaporates when just sitting there, this will make much more sense to you. If not...take it or leave it. It's a smart addition to my bike. Here's a link to a quick little write-up with pictures of the job if interested.
http://www.thumperta...264#post6191264

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.