I just called Utah Sports Cyle and talked to Mike Gibbs. I explained what I was looking for in a skidplate, and offered to help them update their design. He was interested, but they're in the middle of moving their shop right now so we won't be able to get started on that for a couple of weeks. I'll post back when we get into the redesign to get input from you guys.
Mike sent me the blueprints for their XR650R skidplate a while ago, and I've made a lot of changes to it. I just sent them the blueprints for the updated center-section of the skidplate and I'm waiting for them to cut and form one of the new center-sections so I can verify the fitment and mounting hole locations, etc. I'll post some pictures when I get the sample.
Changes so far include:
We're going to use the stock skidplate mounting points and hardware.
The center-section of the skidplate is wider and longer towards the back, so it will provide better protection for the framerails all the way back to the suspension
I added drain holes in the skidplate to make oil changes a little cleaner.
I also re-shaped the leading edge of the skidplate, and incorporated a small funnel to help direct oil away from the skidplate when draining oil from the downtube.
After I get this first sample, I'm going to modify the bend points and angles to equalize the distances between the bends and make all of the bends to the same degree.