Whats the best-strongest skid plate?

67 replies to this topic
  • Robbiesworld

Posted March 26, 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hi guys I am looking for a tough decent looking skid plate for my pig. If anyone has pictures and suggestions it would be great.

• Denn10

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:53 AM

thats a L you have right?

• RipperFox

Posted March 26, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Just list them all.

XR600
XRL
XRR

The info will help someone...

I gots both...so...

and the pic's thing:applause: pics or links to webpages are REALLY hepful:thumbsup:

• Suikerland

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:25 AM

i got the Utah Sports bash plate - pretty common, available from most dealers. Seems very strong, but not many rocks where I live.

The toughest, according to legend, is the Whipps bash plate from Australia. Hard to get if you live somewhere else though.

Pics of the Utah:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tip - if you go for a metal skid plate, try coating the up-side with bed-liner or some kind of rubber compound. Without it, normal engine noise is bounced back and amplified, your bike sounds a bit like a cement mixer from where you sit.

• RipperFox

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:48 AM

good post...pics, advice, knowledge. :bonk: :prof: :confused:

• markseaba

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:53 AM

utah sport cycle, the best for the money

• xr650l bum

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Utah is the way to go. Mounts on the 650r, 600r and 650l.

• abby

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:31 AM

i got the Utah Sports bash plate - pretty common, available from most dealers. Seems very strong, but not many rocks where I live.

The toughest, according to legend, is the Whipps bash plate from Australia. Hard to get if you live somewhere else though.

Tip - if you go for a metal skid plate, try coating the up-side with bed-liner or some kind of rubber compound. Without it, normal engine noise is bounced back and amplified, your bike sounds a bit like a cement mixer from where you sit.

Many rocks where I ride, the Utah is the ticket.

• rcnutt

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:58 AM

go utah... they even make bash plates for alot of other companys, like moose, ect

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 26, 2008 - 10:13 AM

The utah sport cycle one will fit over the stock XRL bash bars- with absolutely no loss of ground clearance. It just gets shifted forwards a skosh.

Belt&suspenders.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 26, 2008 - 10:51 AM

Baja designs makes a good one too

• BeeDub

Posted March 26, 2008 - 01:11 PM

Ahem, well I haven't tried it yet, but my bike (XRL) is being fitted with a new model one. They are not out yet for the XRL as my bike is the first run, but it looks to be good quality, and will let the motor breathe a little better than the others I've seen. I'll have pics and a link soon, if I forget about this, someone PM me and remind me to report back if you're curious.

I won't even have the bike back for another week, so please check the date before you start requesting!:prof:

• xr650l bum

Posted March 26, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Posted Image

My utah skid plate. Vented, and added a piece to protect header from rocks, and to protect header wrap from shreading.

• durandal

Posted March 26, 2008 - 03:04 PM

The Utah Sports Cycles bash plate for the R fits the L.

I just thought I'd let people know.

d.

• scalejockey

Posted March 26, 2008 - 03:21 PM

I drilled mud\water drain holes at the low corners on my Utah plate.

i like the extra shield that 650bum made!

• evomx971

Posted March 26, 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have the Utah plate on my XRL. Works great. Has some pretty good scars that would have meant case damage if it wasn't there.

One comment though is that I wish I'd replaced the button allen head bolts that it came with with stainless hex head bolts. The captive nuts on the frame clips are the ovaled locking type and lock on real good. The allen heads aren't strong enough and strip out and the button heads make it very difficult to get purchase with vise grips. Right now, my plate is a "permanent" modification until I grind the heads off or weld nuts on to get the supplied allen head bolts out.

Great idea on undercoating the topside to help with engine noise!

• xr650l bum

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:41 PM

I drilled mud\water drain holes at the low corners on my Utah plate.

i like the extra shield that 650bum made!

Thank you. I have just put this on. It has worked great so far. I will be rewraping the exhaust soon, then I will really know how well it works.

• Kenzo

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:43 AM

...if u use this skidplate in conjunction with the factory bolt on bars which slightly moves the skidplate forward does the oil drain hole still line up???

TIA,

Kenny

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 28, 2008 - 01:17 PM

...if u use this skidplate in conjunction with the factory bolt on bars which slightly moves the skidplate forward does the oil drain hole still line up???

TIA,

Kenny

Did on mine.

Dave

• Robbiesworld

Posted March 28, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Thanks guys, I have an R. Thanks for the great pictures. I am going to look into Utah.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.