Most like a XR600

17 replies to this topic
  • litng1

Posted March 26, 2008 - 01:06 AM

I love my XR600 as much as anything LOL.Thing that wears me out the most is starting the darn thing on the trail sometimes.Question is what newer bike out there is most like the 600 but with the magic button?

• creeky

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:33 AM

An Edelbrock carb will eliminate the off idle hiccup, starting problems and flooding after a stall/crash and will improve performance throughout the rpm range.

• truck6driver

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:42 AM

Have you thought of taking the cases off an XR650L engine and putting the jug and internals from your 600 in it. That would give you the magic button in your XR600R. Sounds like a lot of work but if you love the bike you can keep it and save some $$ by not buying a new bike.

RH

• Motosprtman

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:49 AM

well.......... I would think, the up to date replacement bike is the CRF450X with that "magic button". It's not an XR600R though.... nothing is like the old boy, heavy? oh hell yes, lotsa grunt? uh-huh. Same with that CRF - without the excess weight and well just different. Time and technology moves on.

• cleonard

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:44 AM

There are two things that hurt starting. Lean jetting and a failing stator. I run a 68 pilot jet in mine and that helps a lot. I also just finished rewinding the igniter coil on my stator a few weeks ago and now I start my bike on the first kick about 80% of the time.

You might want to try a new stator.

The problem with the 450x is that I would need a new bike every two or three years. Well at least a new head, crank, piston, etc.

The XR650L is basically a 600R with the button. It also comes with about 40+ pounds though.

• dirtrider115

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Ktm 690 ?

• DGXR

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:20 AM

I heard about people putting starters on their XR600's, maybe that's what truck6driver was talking about with the 650L cases. But for some reason I recall someone custom fabbing part of their case to get a starter motor on their 600, along with the associated battery storage and wiring. But really, your 600 should not be terribly hard to start, even after a stall or spill, so long as it's in good shape and jetted properly. Not sure if this helps but thought I'd chime in anyway. Good luck.

• Ivan X

Posted March 26, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Husqvarna TE 610?

• Kyron

Posted March 26, 2008 - 12:12 PM

make sure its jetted right and that the coil is good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pwrpapa

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:17 PM

There are two things that hurt starting. Lean jetting and a failing stator. I run a 68 pilot jet in mine and that helps a lot. I also just finished rewinding the igniter coil on my stator a few weeks ago and now I start my bike on the first kick about 80% of the time.

The problem with the 450x is that I would need a new bike every two or three years. Well at least a new head, crank, piston, etc.

The XR650L is basically a 600R with the button. It also comes with about 40+ pounds though.

I second the stator issue. With a new stator it will fire right up.

• jclaus98

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:28 PM

There is a guy on here, I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet, his screen name is rcmc630 or something along those lines. He's from Austrailia and his 600 has e-start and he has all the details about what it took to complete the job. It is pretty involved, but it sounds like if you interchange the correct parts, it can be fairly cheap. You just have to get the right parts from the right years and it is possible. But, certainly not just as easy as changing the side covers.

• litng1

Posted March 27, 2008 - 12:29 AM

Thanks guys I will look at a new coil and stator first.Its jetted proper 68PJ and 162MJ and runs great!!

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:35 AM

There is a guy on here, I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet, his screen name is rcmc630 or something along those lines. He's from Austrailia and his 600 has e-start and he has all the details about what it took to complete the job. It is pretty involved, but it sounds like if you interchange the correct parts, it can be fairly cheap. You just have to get the right parts from the right years and it is possible. But, certainly not just as easy as changing the side covers.

See post #5.
http://www.thumperta... electric start

• Ferd

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:51 AM

That's what the KTM 520 and 525 have taken over for isn't it...

Grunt, Electric button, Lighter weight...

• scalejockey

Posted March 28, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Tight valves and\or float level slightly high will give you fits on starting and check resistor in the plug cap.

• danny v

Posted March 29, 2008 - 06:36 PM

HI GUYS ITS BEEN A WHILE ! HEY CLEONARD,YOU HAVE A 68 PILOT ON A 600 R. I HAVE A 65 P 160 M AND THE NEEDLE HAS BEEN RAISED 1 NOTCH FROM MID POS. I AM AT SEA LEVEL TO 1400 FT.THE BIKE RUNS GREAT (XR600R)THE PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE TO RUN IT WITH THE CHOKE IN THE MID POS. ? IF NOT IT HAS A VERY BAD HESATATION OF IDLE AND EVERYELSE.SHOULD I TRY A 68 OR 70 P ? HOW IS MARTIN AND DENN 10 DOING ? STILL AT IT I HOPE,THEY ARE TO FUNNY THEY SOUND LIKE REALLY GREAT GUYS.ANY ONE ELSE WITH INFO ON MY ISSUE PLEASE CHIME IN. IT IS JUST A LOT OF AGGRAVATION TO TAKE OFF THE CARB AGAIN FOR ABOUT THE 15 TH TIME TO FIND THE JETTING CHOICE.IT HAS A E SERIES PIPE 12 DISCS,UNIAIR BOX MODS DONE ?????:prof:

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR THE INFO :bonk:

• litng1

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hey Danny.I run a 600 that has a 10.1 piston,Supertrapp with 12 disc and KN filter.I run a 68PJ and Im pretty sure a 162 main and it runs great.I never have to use the choke cold or hot.

• danny v

Posted March 30, 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hey Danny.I run a 600 that has a 10.1 piston,Supertrapp with 12 disc and KN filter.I run a 68PJ and Im pretty sure a 162 main and it runs great.I never have to use the choke cold or hot.

Thanks for the info Litng1. i will put the 68 p in this week and see if that is the winner.I also run the xrs only billet choke plate it seems to have a little less air pass than the stock honda plate with the flapper door that breaks off and goes looking for the piston ! :bonk:
Thanks again for the info :prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.