WR450 vs XR400

42 replies to this topic
  • dl19

Posted March 27, 2008 - 09:45 PM

Sold my 04 XR400 for a 05 WR450. Two different bikes but should have kept the XR400. The XR is a great trail bike for all day riding on one tank of gas. The WR is great for all day riding at twice the speed, easy wheelie, power up the wazzuu, and just a great bike. Oh yeah the WR gets about half the MPG as the XR but it is a lot more fun!!!!

• motocross_mike

Posted March 28, 2008 - 02:52 AM

Great to see such even handed advise being given out. Here is my 2 cents worth.
I have just upgraded from an old XR600 (1990) pulls like a tractor, will just about climb trees, but bloody heavy if you put it down. It also liked to push the front end. Now I have a 05 WR450 and still getting used to it, it is far more responsive off the bottom, steers faster, dosent push the front like the old tractor, but has far less engine breaking effect (still getting use to that bit) handles like a dream and I havent set up the suspension to suit my weight etc as yet.

So I am in two minds on how to advise you. If you are just starting out on a trail bike I think I would say get the XR400, but be prepared to trade it in a coulpe of years for a WR450 when you think your skills are up to it. The WR is a bit of a handfull for a inexperienced rider in my opinion. Though if you left it as it comes out of the factory, with all the restrictors etc still in place untill you think you are ready to unleash the beast hiding inside, that may be another way to go.... didnt help much did I just more questions for you to answer....
sorry
Mike

• chip0704

Posted March 28, 2008 - 03:10 PM

Just an update. The WR450 I had found on line is sold... I knew it was too good to be true. I haven't found ANY other WRs in my area, based on eBay, craig's list and local listings. So unless another WR turns up quick, seems like the XR will the choice. Thanks again.

• Tough Guy

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Just an update. The WR450 I had found on line is sold... I knew it was too good to be true. I haven't found ANY other WRs in my area, based on eBay, craig's list and local listings. So unless another WR turns up quick, seems like the XR will the choice. Thanks again.

Be patient. if you buy the WR you won't need another bike for a long time... Trust me, it will be worth the wait. After a riding season or two the XR won't be enough bike for you.

Chris

• WR250F Captain

Posted March 29, 2008 - 11:14 PM

XR400's are old HONDA technology. Four Stroke Technology is continuously upgrading itself.

the WR450F is a freaking awesome bike. My friends will lug up anything, so I don't know why a 400 would out perform it.

Be very carefull if you get a 450 though. I've seen to many people crash very hard on them.

today, I had to turn back from glamis cause my friend went down olds 4th gear pinned. the bike lost its rear fender, exhaust bent in over the tire, looks like the hub is bent as well as the subframe. He had to ride my 250 back, and I had to dry hump the scotts steering stabilizer so the paddle wouldn't hit his muffler.

the power delivery is awesome, the bike has so much mid and good top end power, but over rev is for the 250's it seems.

if going around 1 or 2 gears up when you want to, then its a great bike. I'm saving my money for one.

as for bomb proof, YAMAHA trumps all. XR650's can't even keep up with 450's nowadays! look at the Baja, CRF450X everytime since its been entered. I don't think Yamaha does that race, may be wrong though. Yamaha also has the only 450cc bike to ever win a stage of the Paris Dakar Rally, with they WRF450 2-Trac(my dream bike)

btw, I'm 6'1'', 175lbs, and I can handle a 450 very well! My first bike was my WR, and shortly after getting good at it, I really loved riding all the big bore 4 strokes. stock WR's come detuned and are dogs compared to what they can be. so leave the throttle stop in until you get used to it, then slowly do the free mods.

btw, all the people I know who ride 450f's have been seriously injured on them, rider not having much respect for the power, and want to go to 250f's. yet all the 250f riders I know want the 450's power.

YZ250F has more HP than a XR400, XR really lags in top end!

• chip0704

Posted April 02, 2008 - 02:50 PM

Final update- I purchased the XR400. I think it will be a good starter bike for me, and besides, I'm probably not as tough as "Toughguy". I guess if I want to move up to something else in a year or two I can always look at a CRF450. Oops, I forgot this is a Yamaha forum!

Thanks again for the quality feedback.

• Zsebi-2

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Should have waited for the WR, it is a better bike in every respect. It does everything better and some.

• kjr247

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Congrats. You might do like I did. I had the XR400 first. Then bought the WR planning to sell the XR400...never did. I kept them both and now have options. Ride all day long with the kids on the XR400. Rip the crap out of the earth on the WR without the kids. I got great deals on both bikes and the are low hour rides. I have less than $5000 (upgrades and all) in both bikes. I have two bikes for the price of 1 (or less). Cool thing is that my brother flys down from PA and he has a bike to ride for the weekend.

Have fun man. KJR

• jpoehls

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:10 PM

The XR is not even in the same class as an 07 WR450. Night and day. Both bikes will hurt you. You can learn on an 07 as easy as any XR. I am an amatuer rider and have riden many bikes. Few bikes except a KTM or new CRFX compare. The newer bikes rock. The XR will get you by...but in short time you will want more.

• WR250F Captain

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:33 AM

CRF's have horrible valve problems, they go out fast. Honda recomends checking them every 10 hrs or ride time. some weekends, I get 20-25hrs in 3 days.

WRF's CC-to-CC are better bikes, my 250 can keep up with a 450X threw all gears and pull away when he hits his rev limiter(i got 10mph on him).

the guy also weighs 230lbs(supposidly, i think its a bit more) and his 450 is bone stock. I've ridden it, and its peak power is far less impressive. its almost as easy to ride as my bike(i literally hold on tighter on my 250 and my friendsWR450<-definatley that one)

XR400 will be a great bike, but a high performance Honda will die fast. my friends CRFx has 1/3 the hours as my WRF and his engine siezed from its valves.

go Yamaha or don't go home(your bike wont make it back LOL)

Final update- I purchased the XR400. I think it will be a good starter bike for me, and besides, I'm probably not as tough as "Toughguy". I guess if I want to move up to something else in a year or two I can always look at a CRF450. Oops, I forgot this is a Yamaha forum!

Thanks again for the quality feedback.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chip0704

Posted April 30, 2008 - 03:06 PM

For those who like to laugh at idiots, you'll enjoy this. I've owned my XR400 for 4 weeks and still haven't ridden it because I can't get it started (and neither could the shop today). So for those who said get the WR450 (like Toughguy), sure sounds like you were right. Just thought I'd let you know so you could feel good about yourself while I kick myself in the ass.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 30, 2008 - 08:08 PM

For those who like to laugh at idiots, you'll enjoy this. I've owned my XR400 for 4 weeks and still haven't ridden it because I can't get it started (and neither could the shop today). So for those who said get the WR450 (like Toughguy), sure sounds like you were right. Just thought I'd let you know so you could feel good about yourself while I kick myself in the ass.

There is a black knob under the carb...thats the idle screw. Turn the idle up (to the right) 3 turns. Then find TDC (part of the kickstarter stroke with most resistance), return to the top and give it a full kick.

Read up on the XR 400 forum for proper jetting/uncorking mods. Stock or poorly jetted XR4's are almost as hard to start as XR 250s...once they're dialed in the start pretty easily.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 01, 2008 - 10:04 AM

Congrats on the bike :eek:

sorry you cannot get it started, hopefully they will figure that out for you!

and you and your son will have miles of fun!

then in a couple of years you can pickup WR450F, i love my WR so far.

good luck with the starting issue.

and get out and ride :p

cheers
warts

• Tough Guy

Posted May 01, 2008 - 06:11 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself I had a coupla great years with my XR400R. Once you solve this issue you will be happy with your purchase.:eek:

Chris

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 01, 2008 - 08:51 PM

In a WR450 forum, 98% of the people will tell you to get a wr450.

Get a milder bike as the first one. Think about the KDX220 or the WR250 instead. Contrary to common belief, you are NOT too big for it.

The wr450 was my first dirt bike after riding years and years on the street. Its great, however, it can be really scary. Small mistakes in throttle and clutch control and magnified significantly. It could be very, very painful.

I think you will have a lot to learn and it will be easier to do so on a bike that is milder. After a year or two, you will definitley know when you are ready for a 450. Then upgrade. Besides, the wr250 or kdx220 has plenty of power. You'll have to twist the throttle more in sand or on really steep hills, but that's about it.

I too have been hurt on the 450 and recently got a yz250 because its lighter and easier to ride. I wish I had followed my own advice.

This is a safer approach.

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 02, 2008 - 07:16 AM

Disagree on this one with you. :-)
W250 or kdx is half the fun the bigbore bikes offer, there is no substitute to torque. When an unexpected washout or branch appear on the track it is so easy to pull up the front wheel a bit to do an easy pass; even when you are in wrong gear. With a 250 or 220 you better rev & cluth or shift back fast. Plush the shear acceleration of a 450 is unmatched, plus much less shifting on straightaways. If to much power is an issue just leave it detuned; free it up when ready for more.
When riding in a group a KDX will fumigate all riders behind it, its bad for them and bad for you. :-)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 02, 2008 - 08:52 AM

W250 or kdx is half the fun the bigbore bikes offer, there is no substitute to torque. When an unexpected washout or branch appear on the track it is so easy to pull up the front wheel a bit to do an easy pass; even when you are in wrong gear. With a 250 or 220 you better rev & cluth or shift back fast. Plush the shear acceleration of a 450 is unmatched, plus much less shifting on straightaways. If to much power is an issue just leave it detuned; free it up when ready for more.
When riding in a group a KDX will fumigate all riders behind it, its bad for them and bad for you. :-)

We don't disagree too much. The big bore bikes are fun to ride. I would just say that the smaller bore bikes are "easier" to ride. Easy = better for newer riders in my opinion.

• WR250F Captain

Posted May 02, 2008 - 02:16 PM

thats why I'm working on obtaining a WR450F along side my small bore

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 02, 2008 - 06:18 PM

exactly!
That is the story I cooked up for the wife when I had a WR250, I told her it is a safety issue....Got to get a 4501 Pronto!
Well I only got a 426. But I keep telling her i need 26 more cc so I don't get belittled by all the other 450 riders. It is bad for my health... you know depression, emotional stress and such. It is not healthy you know.:eek:

• WR250F Captain

Posted May 02, 2008 - 07:17 PM

you can make it faster than a 450. just get your head done, exhaust, re jetted, maybe a bore/stroke and you'll have a bad ass bike, I heard the 426's overheated alot, is this the case with your bike?

exactly!
That is the story I cooked up for the wife when I had a WR250, I told her it is a safety issue....Got to get a 4501 Pronto!
Well I only got a 426. But I keep telling her i need 26 more cc so I don't get belittled by all the other 450 riders. It is bad for my health... you know depression, emotional stress and such. It is not healthy you know.:eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.