Wheel Swap

18 replies to this topic
  • Rockjockey

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Does anyone know if the 600R rear wheel will fit the 650L? They look the same.

• RipperFox

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:38 PM

Axle size is different...Me thinks

• absynth01

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Fronts are the same on mine. The rear's are different on my two, but only because of the drum and disk brake difference. The axle and adjusters do look the same. I tried a CR500 front also and worked with the proper spacers. The rear hub is larger for the 650R and the CR500. Don't know if the CR and 650R rear axle is the same.

• Rockjockey

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Anyone else?

• Kyron

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Same........

From a 95 XR600 to a 01 XR650L at least

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hubs are the same, axles different, rims different...

• Kyron

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:06 PM

*** This is kinda neat/weird***

the axles have diffrent part #'s BUT the collars are the same # and the hub part # is the same also...

http://www.phoenixpo...tion_detail.asp

• absynth01

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:47 PM

If you have a spare layin around, see if it fits. I don't have a spare dedicated rear for my L. I do see Bearing swaps that would work with the larger MX axel. I'm waiting to see if my CR gold rims will swap(rear). The inner race on the 650R and the CR500 are different for sure. I will have to use my smaller L axle and find the correct bearing for the hub also. Here are my tests so far
650L front- xr600 =fit(with speedo)
cr rims(older)front-650l =fit with correct spacers(no speedo)
cr500r and 650R rear - 650l= no fit(inner race larger)
xr600r(drum)-xr650l(disk)= no fit(obvious)
I want to believe a newer xr600r and xr650l rim(rear) are the same.
****some don't have rim locks******* add them if you don't!!!

• Denn10

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:24 PM

wonder if its a difference in bearings or something

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:25 AM

Anyone got a good web site for Honda part SIZES, not only PN's???Martin??

• asf

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:47 AM

The rear is the same. I know because:
1. I am running Excel hubs for a 650L on my 600r

2. Before this when I did the disc brake coversion I was using a 95 XR600r wheel with a 97 XR650L axle.

My .02 on axles:
The parts are different because at some point the axle became hollow and they ditched the (I dont know what this part is called officially) cotter pin that is welded to the axle to keep it from spinning while you tighten it. I guess it would also keep it from backing completely.

The diameter of the rear axles is however identical all the way back to 88 on the 600r and the full lineup of 650L.

• absynth01

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Anyone with some 650R CR500R (rear)swap info???Axles look the same. Still winter here.

• absynth01

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:56 AM

The rear is the same. I know because:
1. I am running Excel hubs for a 650L on my 600r

2. Before this when I did the disc brake coversion I was using a 95 XR600r wheel with a 97 XR650L axle.

My .02 on axles:
The parts are different because at some point the axle became hollow and they ditched the (I dont know what this part is called officially) cotter pin that is welded to the axle to keep it from spinning while you tighten it. I guess it would also keep it from backing completely.

The diameter of the rear axles is however identical all the way back to 88 on the 600r and the full lineup of 650L.

good info!!!:prof:

• asf

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Just FYI if anyone else is looking for more compatibility info...the swingarm and rear shock of a 600r and 650L fit both bikes. The L swingarm has a few extra tabs for the chain guide which can be ground off or ignored.

The L and 600r swingarm also fit the older 89 and 88 disk bikes all the way through the lineup. I highly recommend the conversion if anyone currently has an older bike in pieces. you can get all the parts off ebay for less than $100 and all you need to do is weld on a tab for the rear MC and a tube for the new pedal.

:prof:

• martinfan30

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:49 AM

asf, thank you for the excellent info.:prof:

• Brtp4

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:48 PM

Just FYI if anyone else is looking for more compatibility info...the swingarm and rear shock of a 600r and 650L fit both bikes. The L swingarm has a few extra tabs for the chain guide which can be ground off or ignored.

The L and 600r swingarm also fit the older 89 and 88 disk bikes all the way through the lineup. I highly recommend the conversion if anyone currently has an older bike in pieces. you can get all the parts off ebay for less than $100 and all you need to do is weld on a tab for the rear MC and a tube for the new pedal.

:prof:

The shocks fit, but are different lengths. XR600 is .5" longer than a 650L. If anyone knows the linkage ratio, you could probably calculate how the height would change.

BP

• asf

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:02 AM

Now that I did not know. When I had them side by side I couldnt see a difference. In fact I think I measured them with a tape measure and the distance eye to eye was near identical. It was a long time ago though.

Would preload allow you to increase the length? Or would that only affect loaded height?

• Brtp4

Posted March 29, 2008 - 10:08 AM

Now that I did not know. When I had them side by side I couldnt see a difference. In fact I think I measured them with a tape measure and the distance eye to eye was near identical. It was a long time ago though.

Would preload allow you to increase the length? Or would that only affect loaded height?

Well if you measured them, perhaps that is incorrect. It is listed that way in the Works Perf catalog, and I thought I had verified it along the way. But if you measured them side by side, that's pretty hard to argue with.

A while back I looked them up in an Europe app chart, I will check it again.

Oh, and the preload would affect the ride height, but not in the way that would offset a difference in length. If the shock sits too low in its travel at the static position, the action will be affected negatively.

BP

• asf

Posted March 29, 2008 - 10:45 AM

I think I measured it but I am not sure now that I think about it. I may have eyeballed it. :prof:

I dont want to mislead anyone.

However, I will say with the 650L shock dialed in the bike carves better than with the 89 XR600r shock on it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.