whats the best way to make wr turn faster

21 replies to this topic
  • jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 25, 2008 - 12:56 PM

i am wanting to make the front end a little snappier on my 2006 and dont really know the best way to do it. i am putting on bridgestone 601 and 602 tires and rasing the fork tubes by 5mm in the trip. clamps. is this the best way to achieve what i am looking for:confused:

• dazzabb

Posted March 25, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Yes thats about as much as can be done without spending any money.

The experts will tell you to run a bit more hi-speed rear comp damping to help it turn faster at speed - basically raising the rear ride height a fraction when on the go - not sure I'm good enough a rider to notice that though.

I've got a Rekluse axle ordered after good input from various owners.

Triple clamps also seem like a good mod if you want to splash that much cash.

• TWILES

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:35 PM

I raised the forks up and WOW. I haven't bought springs yet and have no idea what the sag is but I raised the rear up by cranking down on the spring and raised the forks up to where they taper in at the bottom of the upper clamp. It turn 100% better on slick ground with the stock front tire.

• dugabrams

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:30 PM

The stock front tire on wr's suck so much I can't believe Yamaha chooses them. If you havn't already, change the tire to any number of others and get ready for a very noticable difference.

• MaxPower

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:03 PM

I've got a Rekluse axle ordered after good input from various owners.

Triple clamps also seem like a good mod if you want to splash that much cash.

[COLOR="Green"]I bought this axle and I am really please with how it made my bike feel.
Does anyone make triple clamps with less rake for this bike?[/COLOR]

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:04 PM

Michelin tires work very well...much better than the stockers....I have not messed with my forks yet, does it make that much of a diffrerence?

• kreativecid

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:33 AM

The stock front tire on wr's suck so much I can't believe Yamaha chooses them. If you havn't already, change the tire to any number of others and get ready for a very noticable difference.

I must say the stock tire on the WR makes the front the scariest new bike I've ever owned! Quick swap to my all-time fave, the Pirelli Scorpion Pro, transformed the bike.

• Wiz636

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:04 AM

Raise the forks up in the clamps 5mm. Set your rear race sag to 95mm. I have not used the Rekluse e-axle but I have heard good things about it.

I don't know what the stock offset is on the WR clamps but on the YZ's it is 25mm and people switching to the Applied 24mm offset clamps have reported a significant improvement in cornering. That's alot of coin to drop though and I hear the Rekluse e-axle achieves the same result for about 1/3 the cost.

Also, running the rear axle as far back as possible will sharpen up the front end as it effectively raises the rear end of the bike.

Play with your rebound damping on the forks...too much RD will not let the front end settle into the corner and create understeer or wash out, too little RD will allow the front end to dive too much and knife into the corner (understeer).

If you still have the 739 tire up front GET RID OF IT unless you ride only on hard pack (and I mean HARD).

• dugabrams

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:47 AM

I must say the stock tire on the WR makes the front the scariest new bike I've ever owned! Quick swap to my all-time fave, the Pirelli Scorpion Pro, transformed the bike.

+1 on the Scorpion Pro. It's even DOT approved for dual sporters. Compared to the stocker, it's like going from all terrains to mud terrains.

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:51 AM

:prof: the new bfg on the front and the 5mm rise definately made things much betterrrrrrr.
hit the kids track last night and it made nice smooth turns. even felt like it would turn better than my skills would allow but i was just too :ride: to run 3rd gear through the corner without wiping out.
the race sag is 96mm so im good there also.
now on to the tight single track this weekend for the real test...:bonk: :confused: ;)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Finally dried up around here and I was able to get some riding in the last two days, just moist enough to get great traction. I raised the fork tubes 10mm with rear sag at 95mm on my '00 WR400, played with the clickers a little, the bike steers almost as good as an XR250 in the tight stuff and is still stable in the faster sections. I've tried several front tires, the Michelin S-12 works best for me, even in sand.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:55 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I bought this axle and I am really please with how it made my bike feel.
Does anyone make triple clamps with less rake for this bike?[/COLOR]

not that i am aware of, but you can buy YZ clamps and put them on, that is the best mony that i have ever put into my bike

• MaxPower

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:46 PM

[COLOR="Green"]do you know who makes them and how much is the rake altered?[/COLOR]

• WR450RICKO

Posted March 28, 2008 - 12:47 AM

perelli scorpion pro was the best thing I have done to the bike ito make it turn. The stocker pushed real bad. I have the medium hard perelli and it turns when I point it in the direction I want it to go. Big plus to the stocker.

• shogun43

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:25 AM

I have a similair problem with the front end "washing out" on slick stuff. What are the best tires if money is not an issue ( it is.... trust me!), just want to get your opinions on the best tires out there.

• Wiz636

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:40 AM

I have a similair problem with the front end "washing out" on slick stuff. What are the best tires if money is not an issue ( it is.... trust me!), just want to get your opinions on the best tires out there.

If you are on the westside of Oregon I would go with the Michelin S-12. If you mostly ride on the eastside of the state I would go with the Michelin M-12 as the S-12 will chunk out on the basalt.

• Summit

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:55 PM

I also would like a little quicker steering so I went out to the shop and raised the forks 5mm as suggested. Took 5 minutes, forks slid right up as soon as I loosened the clamps. I'll report back after a ride. It's snowing again so I'll take the sled out this weekend instead of the bike. Gotta love the mountains!

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:39 AM

i cannot belive how much a new front tire (bfg 601) and raising the forks by 5mm changed the wr :prof: :bonk: :confused:

i went from losing sight of the group i ride with to staying on their wheel on the very tight single track. ;) what amazed me the most was hitting corning woops in tight single track and still being able to turn. this never would happen with the origonal tire on the wr.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Raising the forks to the top of adjusters made a world of difference. My bike now corners like it should.

• dl19

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:45 PM

So how much in inches in 5mm? .196" is the answer after I just looked it up

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.