Tutorial - YZ450F (06 & up) Electrical System For Lights

144 replies to this topic
  • EGPeil

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:32 AM

swatdoc or grayracer - what about the ELine external stators? I see on ELine's website their stator is only listed for 03 - 05 YZ450Fs - did Yamaha change the 06+ in the ignition such that the ELine stator can't be used?

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:38 AM

swatdoc or grayracer - what about the ELine external stators? I see on ELine's website their stator is only listed for 03 - 05 YZ450Fs - did Yamaha change the 06+ in the ignition such that the ELine stator can't be used?

Yes they did. That side of the engine is completely different from the earlier models.

• swatdoc

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:31 AM

here's the HID light I'll be messing with:

http://www.trailtech.net/3152-FX.html

Has a handlebar mount, but I don't think I have room there. Probably go with a custom mount to one of my handguard mounts or use the rubber mount straps that come with the acerbis headlight to attach to the fork tubes near the lower triple clamps

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:02 AM

I've seen those in person, at night in the desert. Very tiny, not much light. Probably roughly equal to a DOT low beam The MR16 is much brighter, but takes more juice.

Trail Tech has an 8" Race light that they claim produces 55000 Lux, or 5300 Foot Candles on 35 watts, but they want over $500 for it.

• EGPeil

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Gray - I have an 03 w/ an ELine - was wondering in case I upgrade to an 06+. It seems the Honda CRFX's are the hot tip in Baja but I am a Yamaha guy so regardless I'll stick with the Yamahas, hope ELine makes on for the 06+.
P.S. Is there anything you don't know about YZFs?

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:50 AM

P.S. Is there anything you don't know about YZFs?

If I didn't know it, would I know that I didn't know?

(And yes, I assume there is.)

If Baja is really your thing, you might want to consider a new ('07 +) WR

Pro:
>Aluminum frame, same as the YZ
>Wide ration trans
>Killer electricals in place (+Trail Tech builds a stator that turns out 110w at idle)

Con:
>Weight (somewhat reducible)
>Power (easily corrected for the most part with YZ cams and possibly a custom CDI)
>Old, single chamber forks (swap in a set of used '06+ YZ forks)

• Wiz636

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:13 AM

I've seen those in person, at night in the desert. Very tiny, not much light. Probably roughly equal to a DOT low beam The MR16 is much brighter, but takes more juice.

Trail Tech has an 8" Race light that they claim produces 55000 Lux, or 5300 Foot Candles on 35 watts, but they want over $500 for it.

I have an MR16 HID helmet light that runs off NiCad batteries and it is powerful. I have no problem running pretty fast with it at night but you will outrun it when you get into the higher RPMs in 5th. It is comparable to a bike mounted 8" halogen but without the spread. The MR16 blows away the MR11.

Regarding the TT 8" HID that runs on 35w...that is 35w DC since it is a HID right? Also, I wonder if 35w is enough to fire it up when cold?

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Yes, that's DC. It's rated 35w, so I'm assuming it starts off that much. Look on the Trail Tech site under Race Lights.

• SXP

Posted April 22, 2008 - 05:17 PM

>Old, single chamber forks (swap in a set of used '06+ YZ forks)

06 and 07 for a straight fork swap. If 08, then add axle, spacers, caliper and fork guards.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:57 PM

06 and 07 for a straight fork swap. If 08, then add axle, spacers, caliper and fork guards.

Good point. Don't forget the master cylinder to match the caliper. Better to stay with '06-'07

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x2468

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:50 PM

what about the 30 SC4? seems like it has the best lighting under 35 watt.

why doesn't trail tech make any NORMAL looking HID or halogen lights? like acrebis, UFO, or even OEM (like the WR light)? they're either bar mounted, or big and ugly.... seems stupid.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:54 PM

Race lights are big because big works better. The big ugly 8" HID race light Trail Tech offers produces over 40% more light at 35w than the 4" does at 40w.

But the 4" is a better light than the smaller ones.

• EGPeil

Posted April 24, 2008 - 09:24 AM

Grayracer - don't know yet that Baja is my thing. I have been racing amateur MX for over 35 yrs but never a desert race of any kind. Always wanted to do the Baja so I have my 03 YZF. If I like Baja then I will definately look at a 07 WR (1st yr for alum frame on WR right?).

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 16, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Grey racer I have ordered this set up, a moose stator and the 8" hid light. Is this as good as I can get for a 08 yz450 and will it be good enough with a helmet light to run in the baja 1000?

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2008 - 07:54 PM

I think it is as good as you can do. Whether it's good enough for the 1000 is something you'll need to see about.

• hi everybody

Posted July 29, 2008 - 10:27 PM

what do you guys think of getting the WR parts? what all is required from the WR, and will the set up work well? will a YZ with the WR parts and no battery run, or does the battery not have much to do with the ignition?

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2008 - 11:20 PM

You can't use a WR stator unless you use a WR ignition cover and a WR flywheel. You can't use a WR flywheel without a WR crank. It's about $700 worth of just parts to convert the charging system. Then you'll need a WR CDI unit, or you'll need a custom rewind on the stator to make it compatible with the YZ ignition.

• hi everybody

Posted July 29, 2008 - 11:52 PM

hmm...not as "just split the cases" as I thought...

as far as getting a moose stator, or getting the stock rewound, and going with a 35w headlight and an LED taillight, what if you're wanting to run your turn signals off of stator power? replacing AA batteries doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I was thinking, what about two of those 4" HIDs swatdoc is playing with? they say they pull 13w each, so with two that would only be 26w, correct? but you would need to convert the power to DC to run those, correct?

• swatdoc

Posted July 30, 2008 - 06:41 PM

you could run the turn signals with the rest of the system only if you use led turn signals, which only pull about 1 watt. as for the AA batteries - Forrest from wheeling had an AA pack running led turn signals at a show he was doing, and left them blinking all day for 2 days without the battery pack running down.
one of the reasons that i went with a battery pack is to make the whole thing easily removable. long story short - turn signals aren't required here by law, but the people doing the inspections think they are. i put them on for inspection then take them off after just to make things go smoothly.

yes, you have to convert to DC to run HID lights.

• hi everybody

Posted July 30, 2008 - 08:56 PM

I see, I was wondering...

would running an LED taillight, LED turn signals, and a 35w headlight, all run on the moose stator? I figured that would probably be the cheapest, and easiest, and just deal with the dim light and keep sharp at night?

I was thinking that, or getting a moose stator, LED turn signals and taillight, and getting my plate with a 35w DOT headlight, then later converting to DC and running two of those HIDs you posted...the trailtech website says they pull 13w each, which for two would be 26, plus 3 or so for the taillight and turn signals for around 30 total...do you think that would all run on a moose stator converted to DC? the HIDs aren't DOT legal are they?

sorry if I'm redundant, or seem a pest...I'm just stepping into the conversation waaaay late :ride:

also...sorry for any hijacking:excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.