Results from 1st trip to Glamis

7 replies to this topic
  • red_rider_elsinore

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I went and bought an AMS 120/100-18 paddle for the xr650r. Got that installed. Installed a whip mount that attaches at the axle. I had a hard time installing the paddle on the bike. I moved the axle as far back as it would go, but the chain wasn't long enough. I had to use the chain from my yz426f [which is apart]. I was ready for the dunes. Right off the start I noticed the gearing was too high. Going down sand highway I didn't have to shift higher than 3rd. I guess desert gearing isn't good for Glamis. While going through the dunes I never got out of 2nd unless it was a straight. It had the power so I didn't mind. The one thing I hated about the bike was its ability to bottom on the smallest of jumps. Even while hitting the deeper whoops sometimes the rear would bottom. All in all it was a good ride. Even my buddies with 450 quads were surprised such a heavy dirtbike could keep up. They were a little upset I beat them up hills. I can only imagine what would happen with the right gearing. The trip ended no too good. While doing a night ride I crested a hill to fast and tried to brake. That caused my bike to land sideways. Not to bad happens all the time with my yz426f, but it was a big problem with the BRP. It sunk in, threw me off and the bike cartwheeled. Nothing major in the sand I thought. Well I ended up bending the exhaust. Not the muffler but the tube connecting the muffler to the header. Overall I was happy with the bike. Now I'm going to have to the suspension mods borynack, and do a stator rewind. I wired my 35w helmet light, but it was too much for the stator. I switched over to the early 90's glass lens which runs a H3 bulb and I could only find 55w or 100w bulbs.

Questions:
1.Can I fixed a bent muffler?

2.Can I mate a stock muffler w/ a pro circuit header?

3.What kind of gearing do you guys run at the dunes?

4.Why is the suspension so soft?

• Denn10

Posted March 24, 2008 - 09:25 PM

love glamis and any sand dunes!!! i guess you have soft setup for desert riding that it didnt like the dunes, you need some mx setup for there. ALot of jumps and pretty good woops too. post a pic of your exhaust, doesnt sound like its but a little bent so maybe you can bend it back a little if theres no creases anywhere.

• Thumpage

Posted March 24, 2008 - 10:50 PM

I went and bought an AMS 120/100-18 paddle for the xr650r. Got that installed. Installed a whip mount that attaches at the axle. I had a hard time installing the paddle on the bike. I moved the axle as far back as it would go, but the chain wasn't long enough. I had to use the chain from my yz426f [which is apart]. I was ready for the dunes. Right off the start I noticed the gearing was too high. Going down sand highway I didn't have to shift higher than 3rd. I guess desert gearing isn't good for Glamis. While going through the dunes I never got out of 2nd unless it was a straight. It had the power so I didn't mind. The one thing I hated about the bike was its ability to bottom on the smallest of jumps. Even while hitting the deeper whoops sometimes the rear would bottom. All in all it was a good ride. Even my buddies with 450 quads were surprised such a heavy dirtbike could keep up. They were a little upset I beat them up hills. I can only imagine what would happen with the right gearing. The trip ended no too good. While doing a night ride I crested a hill to fast and tried to brake. That caused my bike to land sideways. Not to bad happens all the time with my yz426f, but it was a big problem with the BRP. It sunk in, threw me off and the bike cartwheeled. Nothing major in the sand I thought. Well I ended up bending the exhaust. Not the muffler but the tube connecting the muffler to the header. Overall I was happy with the bike. Now I'm going to have to the suspension mods borynack, and do a stator rewind. I wired my 35w helmet light, but it was too much for the stator. I switched over to the early 90's glass lens which runs a H3 bulb and I could only find 55w or 100w bulbs.

Questions:
1.Can I fixed a bent muffler?

2.Can I mate a stock muffler w/ a pro circuit header?

3.What kind of gearing do you guys run at the dunes?

4.Why is the suspension so soft?

#3 - Good gearing and what works well, setup wise, with a stock chain is 14/46. I have used 15/48 with a 112 link chain also but that is getting too tall. I have used 15/49 as well with the 112 link chain and it cleared enough for most all riding exept flat-out high speed runs. The paddles started to hit the swingarm at that point. *But, this was with the tire aired up quite a bit at 25lbs.. The high tire pressure was a mistake at the time. With this in mind, it might clear at higher speeds with the tire aired to normal pressure.
I have also used 14/49 with a 112 link chain and it worked on one trip without any paddle hitting on the swingarm. I did not like this gearing as it felt too low to me. First gear seemed barely unusable and 1st thru 3rd was too closed up.
I actually thought the stock gearing worked quite good for dune gearing, using it with a 112 link chain to get the wheel set back. Stock chain length, by the way, is 110. I will be trying 14/47 with the stock chain length next time out in the dunes with the 650R. I think that will be a good [gearing] choice but will have to ride & confirm paddle clearance at high speeds.
The 14/49 w-112 link or 14/47 w-stock 110 link chain is the minimum for paddle clearance. 14/46 works good overall and has plenty of room. That is the 100% tried and true recommendation with the stock chain length I can give at the moment.

Don't use the mudflap. Use a aftermarket shock cover, (Outerwears) or cut open a sock & zip tie it over the shock to protect it, in lieu of the mudflap. All the combos above have been used with either an AMS Sandsnake or custom Scat Trak 12 paddle made up from a Michelin Baja carcuss.

#4 - Stock suspension is naturally soft sprung, especially for bigger riders. If you want to really hammer the bigger whoops or loft off some of the small dune drop offs, you need the suspension redone. Mine was done by BWB63. Big difference in how I could hammer the whoops.

Full-out on Sand highway or any of the open chopped-out sections out there, the XR650R is just simply an awesome machine. Flying through the long stretch of heavy sand whoops from Olds Hill to Sand Highway, (or vise versa) is the same story. Burning through the giant bowls north/west of Olds Hill on a XR650R is where they really shine in the dunes themselves.

Take a looksee on some modest action caught at Pismo & Dumont of XR650Rs a few years ago. The Red tanked bike, (mine) still had stock suspension at the time though. The clickers were dialed in real hard for my riding and weight. Unfortunately the whoops were drowned out a bit under overcast skies but you get the basic jist.
Dumont,..bye, bye Raptor & TRX450R. That was actually with using the tall 15/48 gearing. I don't recommend that gearing though myself for dune riding. It leaves a little to be desired on the biggest hill climbs.

Click here to watch XR650Rs-at-Pismo-Beach

Click here to watch XR650R-at-Dumonts-Competion-Hill

• red_rider_elsinore

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:00 AM

The bike run great. I think it was because of the soft suspension that I crashed. The exhaust bent making the muffler point down and a little under the rear fender. Would I have to heat it up. I'll post a picture later today.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red_rider_elsinore

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Do you think its fixable?

• Thumpage

Posted March 26, 2008 - 10:02 AM

Oohhh, and that is the 'special' reverse cone megaphone type PC muffler pipe.
I don't know of anyone that does 4 stroke muffler pipe repair.
There is a very small possibility of hope here: http://www.piperepair.com/

They repair 2 stroke pipes but appear to be getting into 4 stroke header pipe repair. If you talk to them with some persuasion, maybe just maybe they can think of some way to straighten it.

New bike to you, right? I notice that your bike appears to have a Eibach shock spring. Also a precision concepts sticker on the swingarm. I realize a sticker can just be a sticker but the spring is definitely not stock. With that, I would think the suspension has probably been revalved buy 'someone'. However, the spring & revalve may still not be for your weight. ??? You may be able to find the spring rate printed on the shock spring if it has not worn off yet to get an idea of what you may be riding with. Regardless, XR650R suspension setups are generally going to be sprung & valved softer than MX based suspensions such as on your YZ426F.

• red_rider_elsinore

Posted March 26, 2008 - 11:40 AM

I changed the fork oil, but I was unable to find any markings in the fork springs. The springs don't seem to be soft. The bike rides high in the travel like I prefer. It just seems like the valving is off. I ride not too aggresive, but I don't like the suspension bottoming so easy. So there's no way of fixing the pipe? Maybe with a torch and bending it slowly.

• Thumpage

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:16 PM

I changed the fork oil, but I was unable to find any markings in the fork springs. The springs don't seem to be soft. The bike rides high in the travel like I prefer. It just seems like the valving is off. I ride not too aggresive, but I don't like the suspension bottoming so easy. So there's no way of fixing the pipe? Maybe with a torch and bending it slowly.

I think the fork spring rate is stamped on the end of the springs. As far as the shock spring, Mine was printed in white on the outside of one of the coils.
If the springs are stiff enough for you and the valving was redone as well, (more controlled valving), then it may just be the compression & rebound click settings are set too soft or not dialed in. I can only assume at this point. First & foremost, you might want to check them to see where they are at on both ends. Also check your sag and get that adjusted correctly.
As far as the pipe, you might be able to get creative enough with heating and bending,..??
Try calling that company and see what you can find out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.