XRS only VS. IMS smog block off

18 replies to this topic
  • RipperFox

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:59 PM

Is there any thoughts of one over the other? Are they the same? Anyone ordered one from XR's lately. Saw some post about them telling you after you order and pay for it, that its is back ordered. The pictures that they display cant be of the actual kit. What do the block of plates look like on the motor ports? cheap? Quality job? :confused:

• piedralone

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Save your money. Buy the one on e bay for $20. They are just small plates. I got the IMS kit, didn't use all the plugs, one of the 2 I did use was too small and had to heat it up to make fit. The other was the one that pluged the air box.

• RipperFox

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Nothing listed on ebay other than the plates. Need the honkin' big plug for the air box too.

• jdubb75

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Nothing listed on ebay other than the plates. Need the honkin' big plug for the air box too.

Don't know what your ride is, but there was a 1x International smog block off kit on the great oz of eBay earlier today for cheap. Got that kit for my 650R and it came with the plug for the air box.

found it...here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• Itchykawa

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:47 PM

I wanted to go with XRsonly, but I too was turned off by the generic photo. The IMS kit came with too much stuff for my nonCali but worked fine. Had several of the small rubber caps left over. Good to have in case the one I used lets go I figure. I had to stretch the stew out of it. I am going to keep a spare in my tool kit.

• porterdog

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:14 AM

I dunno- given the recent rep of XRs Only I wouldn't order ANYTHING from them unless I was going in to pick it up.

• paul246

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:05 AM

I just bought the plates off Ebay for $11.00, will make my own plugs from cut hose and silicone.

• Sipes77

Posted March 28, 2008 - 07:28 PM

I just installed the IMS kit last night. It came with all I needed and cost about $25. One vacuum cap is a bit small, but I managed to make it work. Rode my L today and did note that the little back-fires/ popping have gone away, and I like the uncluttered look of all that smog stuff off the bike!

• Purcell69

Posted March 28, 2008 - 08:13 PM

I used the IMS kit from the TT store. Less than $22.00. Works great and comes with directions.

-Joe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riding4life162

Posted March 28, 2008 - 10:22 PM

I have the Xrs only kit and its works fine, I only had rubber peices left over when I was through. The instructions/pic that came with it were garbage, you coudnt tell the steering wheel from the engine. I had to go to www.4strokes.com to get good instructions. After I finished installing using the websites instructions i went back and looked at the instructions that came with the kit and could figure it out. But only after I had already completed the install.

• martinfan30

Posted March 28, 2008 - 11:12 PM

Sipes77, you coming out to fremont? I think you are the only other with an 05 L.

• axle8

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:46 AM

I have ordered a number things from XR's Only, have had no problems at all.:prof:

• Sipes77

Posted March 29, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Sipes77, you coming out to fremont? I think you are the only other with an 05 L.

No, I won't be able to go to Fremont, wish I could though.

• lilbro

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:32 AM

I did the 1x kit and had to file the plate slightly.

• troutballs

Posted March 30, 2008 - 06:58 PM

I ordered the block off kit 2 weeks ago from XRs only after I called and the dude said works for '07 but then I just got a email telling me its back-ordered.......
Baja Designs has the kit but says "will not work on '07".......whats the deal!!!
So will the IMS kit work and WHY wouldn't it if its been the same engine since the beginning of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• martinfan30

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I ordered the block off kit 2 weeks ago from XRs only after I called and the dude said works for '07 but then I just got a email telling me its back-ordered.......
Baja Designs has the kit but says "will not work on '07".......whats the deal!!!
So will the IMS kit work and WHY wouldn't it if its been the same engine since the beginning of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will work.. Rest assured.

• infsqdldr

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:44 AM

got the ims one fron the tt shop, usps shipping. directions are wrong, the so called charcoal canister is the oil seperator. at least from what ive read.

• Purcell69

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:49 AM

got the ims one fron the tt shop, usps shipping. directions are wrong, the so called charcoal canister is the oil seperator. at least from what ive read.

The first charcoal canister is the really the charcoal canister for the tank vent on CA models. The second one they refer to is, as you pointed out, the oil separator. Where it addresses the caps on the carb, the directions get a little vague. That's where I went to 4strokes forum site for some helpful pics. Got mine right the first time.

-Joe

• riding4life162

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:05 AM

Dude the install s super easy and like martinfan said it will fit Just go to http://www.4strokes..../honda/xrlsmog/ and follow his instructions, (read them thouroghly and identify all things and take pics before and while you work). Oh yeah and the smallest cannister (size of a silver dollar) has 2 small hoses that plug into the carb, those can be taken off and plugged with the 2 nipples in your pacK. You can also take it a step further like some users here (martinfan) and instead of running that one 1/2 inch hose from your crankcase to your airbox you can hook it up to a K&N crankcase vent filter an just plug the 2 hose openings in the airbox (your kit should have came with 2 plugs). (my K&N crank case filter vent will be here on thursday)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.