04 vs 06 wr450

12 replies to this topic
  • anathema

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:18 PM

I live in canada but am gonna be making a trip down to the USA to look at a couple WR450s.

One is an 04, basically stock for 4 grand. The other is an 06 for 4500$. Both are essentially totally stock and very low hours. Getting the 06 would involve a LOT more driving which I am not really keen to do.

Are there any significant differences in the 04 vs 06 model years? If they are the same hours is there really any reason to drive the extra 6 hours and pay the $500 more for the 06?

Thanks for your help guys!

• MaxPower

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:05 PM

[COLOR="Green"]if resale is a concern
the 04 is already 4 years old.
[/COLOR]

• joecallan

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:53 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I may have to choose between the same years.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 24, 2008 - 11:30 PM

The '04 is going to have less crap to deal with. For instance, the '04 doesn't have an Air Injection System and the fuel screw hole is not blocked off. Plus, the engine in the '04 hits harder because of slightly higher compression ratio.

However, the '06 has that nifty little computer. And they also came stock with renthal bars

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 24, 2008 - 11:32 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I may have to choose between the same years.

The '04 is red sticker. The '06 is green sticker. Its really a no brainer towards the '06 for someone who lives in CA unless they live near a place that is red sticker friendly year round.

Also, plateing the '06 is a possibility if you excersize the correct avenues. Plateing the '04 is impossible.

• anathema

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:05 PM

I live in canada. You can plate a 2 stroke here in BC, it just has to pass inspection (pollution is not an inspected thing on a bike)

So other than that, no real changes to motor? Suspension? Chassis?

Thanks for the info!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cedar Savage

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:53 PM

alot of riders found the 04 top heavy, so in 05 they raised the neck tube and kept the fork length the same to give the bike a lower center of gravity. at high speeds they feel pretty much the same, but in the woods or on tight trails the 06 is more nimble.:confused:

• anathema

Posted March 26, 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thanks that wont be enought difference for the extra 6 hours drive (each way) and 500$ or more dollars. Was just hoping it wouldnt be a huge suspension change like the DRZ got, or a 04-07 wr change into all the good stuff. Thanks for the help!

• SteveWR450F

Posted March 26, 2008 - 02:31 PM

I had an 04. It was a pig. Very top heavy. I put YZ tank and shrouds on it and that helped a little but still the bike did not want to turn. Bulletproof bike though, valves never needed adjusting after first adjustment.

If it was me, I would get the 06. Not as top heavy. Turns a lot better and would like get better resale value. 05 and 06 were very similar. 04 and 06 = big difference in handling.

• MaxPower

Posted March 26, 2008 - 02:59 PM

but still the bike did not want to turn. Bulletproof bike though, valves never needed adjusting after first adjustment.

[COLOR="Green"]how much time did you have on your bike before you had to adjust them?

You would be surprized how much the Rekluse axle helped my 04 with the handling [/COLOR]

• anathema

Posted March 30, 2008 - 10:55 PM

04 was fire road ridden super easy by a 55 year old guy, and we got it for $3500, so decided to go for it. Thanks for your help everyone I hope not too top heavy! A IMS tank is supposed to help with this quite a bit.

• jpfire

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:45 AM

You Know, even a " older guy" can still rip !! Anyways, congrats on the bike and remember to do the free mods if not already done. I picked up an '05 last year from a younger guy that did none of them. He knew what to do just never did? I fixed up the bike and like I said...it rips! Have fun, Cheers.

• Ridon

Posted March 31, 2008 - 06:59 AM

Well you got yourself a hell of a bike 04 is a monster and if you'll make the free mods you're gonna be really scared when riding:eek: As for handling, yeah it's a big bike for big guys but you'll learn how to ride it fast with little practice. Stay safe:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.