What is a pit bike for? Pit bike vs. Dirtbike

17 replies to this topic
  • BaylorKid2015

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:17 PM

What is a pit bike really for? Why would I get a pit bike over a dirt bike? All I really notice when i look at them is they look a little smaller. What is the difference?

• apcrf

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:22 PM

pit bikes are designed to fool around in the yard with or race originally i read somewhere that they were designed to ride around the pits during a mx race or something like that

• BaylorKid2015

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:23 PM

can you like do the same thing on a pit bike you can on a dirt bike? i'm not talkin like mx or sx but just like havin fun

• apcrf

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:34 PM

ya except maybe really large jumps like 100ft in the air something like that but if you got a good quality pit bike like ogm and pitster you can do pretty large jumps without cracking the frame although you still could but its probably not as likely with the higher end bike compared to a lower cheaper end bike

• chirorider

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:35 PM

You absolutely can have fun. You can also take it on a motocross track or on an enduro track or trails if you get a bike that is up to it. I bought this one and it takes a beating and still goes strong.

http://www.sgr-usa.c...ff16a132a39f23d

• mighty_mace

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:40 PM

I debated between a "big bike" and pit bike for a little over a year. Borrowed a buddy's KX250 that was for sale and ripped around on that for a few weeks which was pretty fun, but just not practical for what I wanted to do. That's made for the track, trails when you can open her up and really give it a work out.

I purchased a pit bike from Outlaw about 2 weeks ago and am VERY happy with the decision. We have a small "track" if you wanna call it that, which is just a part of my long dirt driveway and an old loggin' trail that forms a circle. What a blast to rip around that circle time and time again.

My buddy got the same bike, at the same time and this past weekend we rode an old logging trail behind my parents home that had multiple trees down crossing the trail. It was so easy to hop off the trail and maneuver through the bush to get around the blowovers.

Pit bike = Pure Fun

• ncc

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:28 PM

We have a ton of fun on our pitbikes, they actually get more use than the 450 does. A pitbike will not set you back eight grand (some might) , your closer to the ground and speeds are slower than a big bike so when you crask you don't get hurt as bad, also you are not crashing a breaking a thousand dollar ti exhaust, or a $500 radiator. Plus you can replace the entire engine for less than a topend rebuild on a CRF 450.

• bamboqigong

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:06 PM

basically, they're good, inexpensive fun

plus you'll be grinning at all the money you've saved over spending money on a big bike

although, the shorter wheelbase can take a minute to get used to, and sometimes the riding position is a bit cramped, but usually if you add a tall seat or some extra foam to your pit bike seat, it's just like riding a larger bike.

my pitbike gets ridden more than my larger bike, you can just hop on and take off

• Precision50

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Back in the Late 80's early 90'...... Pro Mx riders like Jeff Emig, Buddy Antunez, Jeremy McGrath, Phil Lawrence, David Pingree and Ryan Hughes used to take these bikes pictured below and race them at their famous (Drunken) After Race Parties...usually at Emigs House in his backyard....:confused: there mechanics used to and still do tool around the Sx Events and Mx Nationals Pro pits on them.

Posted Image

It fazed out for about 10 years....and then Low and behold Hondas Best selling Bike of all times (Below) the XR/CRf50

Posted Image

the XR/CRf50 becomes popular again and Companys such as BBR, CHP and REEG start producing Adult friendly parts for this (4yr olds bike) and the Fiddie Crazy scene goes wacko and $10,000 dollar Pit Bike bikes start becoming obsessive and Highly Competetive with bikes like below

Posted Image

• hpiguy

Posted March 24, 2008 - 06:23 PM

I rode big bikes for years, then sold them all to go back to school. I moved back closer to home a couple years ago and a friend let me ride his fifty. The rest is history. Don't get me wrong, I still miss the big bikes every now and then....but for what I want to do the pitbikes are perfect. I've been in the sport two years now and have two bikes. One is a Honda stock motored stunt bike for riding wheelies in parking lots and such. The other is a Chonda with a TB / SGR 146 in it, when I ride it it gives me about the same rush as a big bike, and worse arm pump LOL. With all the power on such a short wheelbase, it feels as snappy as a big bike and is more fun than you can imagine. I wouldn't get rid of my fifties for anything.

• nickdask8

Posted April 06, 2008 - 04:33 AM

i have an 07 giovanni 125 pitbike and the thing is a blast, i came down from a 250f and even though the 250f was the best damn thing ive ever ridin, the pit bike makes me extremly happy, ive only found that cold weather and getting water/mud on those cone filters that come right off of the carb, is the only setback to the bike (although im going to "fix" this issue) other than that these pitbikes are full of good times! in no way should anyone be dissappointed, especially if they realize that in comparission to the big bikes!!

should feel like a little kid on your first bike all over again on a nice muddy/sunny sunday!!!

• RLucky82

Posted April 06, 2008 - 06:39 AM

When I started hanging around racetracks of all sorts about 20 some years ago someone always had an xr50 or something similar to buzz around the "pits" on the best "pitbike" was easy to start, didn't take up much room and didn't have a clutch. so you could use your left hand to carry stuff with. Pitsters and Ogms are really just Mini MX bikes with adult ergonomics and stiff suspension for adult riders. Mini MX bikes are fun and addicting

• Mini-Outlaw

Posted April 06, 2008 - 11:02 AM

They pretty much are big bikes just shrunken down,at least the big name brand pit bikes.:confused:

Precision is correct.
Pit bikes started out as a form of transportation at tracks so the racers could get around easier/quicker,I believe somebody had a kids bike with them to cut down on fatigue inbetween races & it cought on with other racers.A couple of guys thought it'd be cool to try to race them for fun,that turned into more serious competition which leads us to where pit bikes are at today.
Riding their full sized race bikes around the pit area wasn't practical,so the guy with a 50 could get around without much hassle & if their race bike needed mechanical attention they couldn't ride it around anyway.

BITD in my BMX era (80's),we used to ride pit bikes at the tracks.They were smaller versions of what we raced,insted of 20" BMX bikes they were 16" & meant to be beginner bikes for small kids but turned into what a 50 was to a MX racer at the track.Same logic,no motor.:thumbsup:
Not to mention the rules at tracks won't allow you to ride your race bike around other than on the track itself,be it BMX or MX your race bike is a track bike only.

A pit bike is more of a personal preference thing,you have to try one out before knowing if you'd like it enough to have one.Once you do though you'll probably be dying to get one,they're just too much fun to say no to.Plus there's nothing wrong with having both a big bike & a pit.:thumbsup:

• Wandell

Posted April 06, 2008 - 11:57 AM

I chose a pitbike because I just want something to ride with my kids. I have a small riding area and they are also cheap. I bought a new Pitster from Outlaw for less money than a used fullsize MX bike. Actually, I'm pleased to have found out the Pitsters are not cheap bikes, they are just inexpensive. There's a huge difference.

• PANDJ RACING

Posted April 06, 2008 - 12:46 PM

MY OPINION,[COLOR="Red"]BUY ONE![/COLOR]

• mikegigabyte

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Old thread but good question

I came from a 400 dual sport, now even though it was a great bike and worked fine off road when you sit on it you feel like 5 feet high
So on those tight mountain trails that are 2 feet wide, looking down the side of a cliff it gets pretty scary

Im over 6 feet and I only tip toed on that bike
where the pit bike you can easily flat foot it, get off and throw it around if you have to U turn

Ive been on crazy steep rocky up hill rides on my old pitbike I had years ago also a 125
But the seat was rock hard and ergonomics wasnt nice compared to the one I just recently got

Im not a racer, or a jumper just trail rider
So I can get away with lesser quality parts

Got the bike so I can go back to those trails, been years since ive done that
I love the ease of working on them, im not into tearing apart engines but I have no problem spending $300 to swap one out if something goes bad. Cant find new engines for full size bike for that price

• tdub2112

Posted March 28, 2012 - 02:07 PM

My buddy just bought a CRF50 (supposedly has a 88 big bore on it) and it's tweaked with BBR parts. We went riding yesterday for the first time. I was on my TT-R and another buddy on a KDX 220. We had a blast no doubt, but I hated the thing.

Problem 1: The ergonomics were terrible. I'm a small guy at 5' 4" and still couldn't stand it. I rode for about a half hour on it, but just couldn't get used to it. The seat was like a board too. When i stood up on the bike, i was crouched over on the bars, which is the reason i got handlebar risers on my own bike. That just bugged me.

Problem 2: Gutless. I was expecting something more out of this tweaked out little 88cc, but it didn't deliver at all. With the stock three speed tranny, the power just wasn't there. When he was in top gear with it pinned, I still had gears to go.

Problem 3: Tire size is ridiculous. I don't know how you guys can ride the woods in these things. The reason I got the large wheel TT-R was exactly that. More traction. In the pumice and loose dirt we were riding in, the bike just wouldn't hook up.

If you want a cheap bike to screw around on in your backyard, get a pit bike, but if you want a bike that can actually ride, get an actual bike.

Yeah. I'm a hater.

• DMC707

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:36 AM

The premise of a "pit bike" is just as the name implies -- have a small easy bike to cruise the pits on ----- you dont want to fire up the race bike if you just want to run up to the port-a-shitter, the registration building, or snack bar --- and its darn hard to drink your Coke/7Up/Hi-C Suicide if you have to use a clutch.

I hate saying "in my day" -- but in my early days, the pit bikes of choice were XR-75's (which did have a clutch) -- the XR-75 was the KLX110 of its era -- people bolted on Fox shocks and Supertrapps to trick them out a little. Also used were Z-50's and the early generation 3 wheelers. 3 wheelers were nice because 3 kids could ride on one with strategic placement, but they would take up a whole pickup bed themselves.

So thats my personal take on pit bike history -- and it may be a bit regional. My area had the XR 75's, another are might have seen a lot of CT-90's, IDK.

The true premise of a "pit bike" is still the same, and plenty of guys have mildly modified KLX's and XR-70's like mine below. I put a FMF pipe and some taller bars on it, and stiffer springs, but other than that, i dont worry about it -- its just a fun low maintenance bike and when mine is not at the racetrack, i use it to pull the trashcans to the curb and check my mail (400 ft driveway)

The "racing pitbikes" are kind of an oxymoron i think, but they are fun. As i said, I think with a true pit bike you should be able to ride and drink a beer (err-- Hi-C/Coke Suicide) -- that means a 4 speed , clutch and a 20hp engine are out for me ---That crosses the line into racebike territory- while still being kind of a pitbike

But while i think the line is blurry on the racing pitbikes, ---- i can tell you that anything that was originally designed specifically for the track is not a pitbike -- 60's, 80's, 85's and the CRF150 racing version are not pitbikes

Pitbikes are just nice, fun bikes to do anything on within reason

Posted Image

Edited by DMC707, April 06, 2012 - 07:37 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.