How many 20k+ mile L's have new counter shafts?

17 replies to this topic
  • Purcell69

Posted March 24, 2008 - 01:45 PM

I am just a little curious after reading more than a few posts about the XRL's having issues with counter shaft wear, what is the common factor? High mileage, poor quality sprockets, lack of maintenance? I know we have more than a few XRLs with more than 20,000 miles on the odometer. For those that do, have you replaced your counter shaft? If so, about what mileage?

-Joe

• chakaxr650l

Posted March 24, 2008 - 03:25 PM

IMO and from looking at my bike the previous owner had the chain on too tight. Also it didn't look like he ever took the plastic engine guard off to clean out the grease and dirt build up.
BTW: 9,000 miles and my Cshaft is all messed up.

• zodran

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:53 PM

I've got 27,000 miles on mine, there is some wear on the splines but not severe. I think it's poor fitting sprockets and popping the clutch doing wheelies. If it runs right you shouldn't need to pop the clutch. :confused:

Maybe the bean counters cheapened up on the heat treat?

• XR6's_rule

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:55 PM

If this is any comparison my cousin once had a '92 XR600R which im fairly sure has the same countershaft as the 650L. This bike had around 18,000 kms and was showing signs of wear - eg front sprocket slopping around but would've probably gone another 8-10,000 kms before needed replacing.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:21 AM

over 31k miles on my L and no real signs of wear. Keep them clean and lubed and they will last a long time.

• truck6driver

Posted March 25, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Yea I had to replace mine. A little over 15k on the ticker. The previous owner ran hardened steel sprockets on the bike. He said they lasted longer. Problem was they were harder than the countershaft. When I found it out I was changing chain and sprockets for a Dual sport ride in VA that weekend. I got cheap and welded the new one on the shaft to get me through the season then started collecting parts for the build. I thought since I have to open the thing up I might as well go BIGGER.
I only run OEM or Sun Star sprockets on the front now. No signs of abnormal wear over the past 2 years.

RH

• gstt500

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Replaced mine at 8k mi. Had just purchaced used and while replacing what I think was orig. chain and sprockets I noticed the wear on the c shaft splines. Chain had been run very loose and the rear and lower front chain sliders were worn to almost nothing.

• Bibleman

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:40 AM

Since mine is low mileage I've never taken a look. I'm wondering if you're supposed to grease it or not. If not, would it help to do so?

• martinfan30

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:00 AM

Since mine is low mileage I've never taken a look. I'm wondering if you're supposed to grease it or not. If not, would it help to do so?

Definately take off the sprocket and clean the teeth on the shaft and the sprocket. Then apply a light coat of grease to the teeth.

Make sure to use blue loctite on the sprocket bolts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bibleman

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:29 AM

Will do:prof:

• Bibleman

Posted March 29, 2008 - 09:51 AM

OK just took mine apart and inspected - looks perfect so I lubed it and reassembled with blue locktite. I'm curious though, even when the retaining thing is tightened down, the sprocket has some free play. Is this normal?

• martinfan30

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:29 PM

OK just took mine apart and inspected - looks perfect so I lubed it and reassembled with blue locktite. I'm curious though, even when the retaining thing is tightened down, the sprocket has some free play. Is this normal?

Yes, that is normal.

• Bibleman

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:43 AM

OK, thanks for the verification.:prof:

• paul246

Posted March 30, 2008 - 04:42 AM

I'm just new at this too, so please feel free to correct me.

I would have thought that the metal that the sprocket is made from would be softer than that of the counter shaft. Is the counter shaft's surface not case hardened?

In other words, should we not be wearing out a series of front sprockets before even considering worn out splines on the c/s?

Also, would a good moly paste (70%) not be a better lubricant for the c/s splines than regular grease?

• martinfan30

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:15 AM

I'm just new at this too, so please feel free to correct me.

I would have thought that the metal that the sprocket is made from would be softer than that of the counter shaft. Is the counter shaft's surface not case hardened?

In other words, should we not be wearing out a series of front sprockets before even considering worn out splines on the c/s?

Also, would a good moly paste (70%) not be a better lubricant for the c/s splines than regular grease?

The sprocket should be softer. The problem is, not many actually clean the splines and lube them after.

Moly is probably a good choice.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:54 AM

Ideally you'd want the spline area unhardened while the tooth area was hardened like a mofo.

I wonder if you could buy the hardest spkt out there and temper just the spline area?

Dave

• ghrati ghoti

Posted March 31, 2008 - 08:06 AM

The sprocket should be softer. The problem is, not many actually clean the splines and lube them after.

Moly is probably a good choice.

I would guess it's dirt/sand/debris that gets on the shaft that does the most damage.

• martinfan30

Posted March 31, 2008 - 12:52 PM

I would guess it's dirt/sand/debris that gets on the shaft that does the most damage.

That is my thougt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.