426 hard starting

Ok, last week i went out to start my bike and it took forever to start, i just went out today to start it and it wont.. It sometimes fires then dies, alot of the time it wont do anything.. It eventually floods itself out but i tip it over and drain the gas out of it, and in the past that always used to work, i would do that and it would fire right up.. It is pretty cold here still mid 30 degrees..

I dont know why, but i still have the decomp lever, and it never gave me problems, i can start it very easily.. Twist the throttle 3/4 times, pull choke lever and it would start. Now when i do the decomp lever, like i used to, i kick and the kick lever stops like half to two thirds of the way down every now and again, and when i kick it fully it isnt nice and smooth like it used to be.. I messed with the cable but it still does it.. It doesnt do it every time but a lot of the time it does..

My buddy has the decomp cam i can have for 75$, should that solve my problems? And is there a sticky thread on installing it?

Here is a ton of info for you and yes the instructions for the decompression mod are in there near the top op the thread.

As already stated it sounds like the valves need checking/adjusting. This would be done at the same time as the decompression mod if you choose to do it.

If you've got the money you might as well swap out the exhaust cams. I love my swap and it was a piece of cake. You're doing all the work of getting in there...might as well kill 2 birds with one stone

(I do not condone the killing of birds)

Thanks guys, i have been doing some reading on the cams.. Im buying one at the end of the week. My buddy has one from an 03 so im going to put that in, im going to change the cam chain too, sounds like a good idea to do while im there... Ive been looking in the TT store, and i cant find the decomp plug, where is it located under?

Im also going to put in a new plug to see if that helps..

Anyone run seafoam in the gas tank?

Ive been looking in the TT store, and i cant find the decomp plug, where is it located under?
The TT store no longer sells the decomp plug. There are some being sold on eBay, though. You can also use an 18mm brass or steel cup plug (freeze plug, expansion plug) from an auto parts store, but these can be a little difficult to install.

Another alternative that isn't as pretty is to cut the lever off of the outside end of the decomp shaft, AND the half round extension off of the inner end, and use that as a plug.

Just don't use the cheap POS from Yamaha.

Ok i have a cam from an 03, do i have to remove the flywheel to install it? I plan on changing the timing chain while im there. I also have to put in a lighting stator, so i have to remove the flywheel anyway.. Will this flywheel puller work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-YZ400F-YZ426F-MX400-TT500-YZ490-FLYWHEEL-PULLER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ43977QQihZ004QQitemZ140197211751QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

And also, will this decompression plug fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DECOMPRESSION-PLUG-YFZ450-YZF-450-YZ426-YZ400-HEAD-PLUG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ011QQitemZ320232532071QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Ok, last week i went out to start my bike and it took forever to start, i just went out today to start it and it wont.. It sometimes fires then dies, alot of the time it wont do anything.. It eventually floods itself out but i tip it over and drain the gas out of it, and in the past that always used to work, i would do that and it would fire right up.. It is pretty cold here still mid 30 degrees..

I dont know why, but i still have the decomp lever, and it never gave me problems, i can start it very easily.. Twist the throttle 3/4 times, pull choke lever and it would start. Now when i do the decomp lever, like i used to, i kick and the kick lever stops like half to two thirds of the way down every now and again, and when i kick it fully it isnt nice and smooth like it used to be.. I messed with the cable but it still does it.. It doesnt do it every time but a lot of the time it does..

My buddy has the decomp cam i can have for 75$, should that solve my problems? And is there a sticky thread on installing it?

I have a '00 426 that I have had since Jan '02. The bike was stock everything and was a total SOB to start. Sound a lot like your situation. I had some time off of riding due to a broken ankle and decided to either sell the bike or tune it. I HATED it.

I did three things that were popular TT mods at the time.

#1 was the A/P set screw mod

#2 was the JamesNOW mod

#3 was the blue wire mod (this one seems to have some controversy after I did it)

The bike was transformed completely, had good hit & low end, never bogged and I kept it.

What I learned from that trial and error was to not twist the throttle at all prior to starting...regardless if the fuel petcock was on or off between rides. Seriously, I put my right hand on the m/c so as to ensure no fuel is added.

My bike under any circumstance is a first kick start even after months of storage now. You might want to try that before you throw $$$ at a cam. I know that there seems to be an issue with the decomp, but its free and easy to install. :prof:

My $0.02 worth.

Well i just supermotoed my bike, and there is no place for the decomp lever, unless i want it on the throttle side, so i got a cam from a buddy for a good deal so i said i may as well!!

I dont have a bog in the bike at all.. And ususally it starts up within a few kicks after sitting, but i always shut the gas off when im done riding, and i forgot to so it sat like that for a month or so..

Ok, grayracer, the decomp plug i posted above i didnt end up getting a chance to bid on, so can you tell me if this one will work? It says it will.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250232515500&_trksid=p2759.l1259

And also, does it go where the decomp cable connects to the lever that goes into the motor? Im not quite sure where exactly it goes, or how to get it in there.