New YZ450F Rider

Not new to 4 strokes, just to the 07 YZ450F. Last YZ I rode was the YZ 400, last 4 stroke was the XR 400. I just traded my Kawasaki Brute Force ATV for an 07 YZ 450F because I found out I could not adapt to 4 wheels, and speed on an ATV that weighs 650 lbs can kill you, and almost did.

So anyway, when talking with my son, who I converted over to a 4 stroke fan, he said that the YZ would be much different than the XR. He said that there is a great deal more preventative maintenance that needs to be done, such as adjust the cam chain and valves every 10 rides or so. Is that correct, does it really need the cam chain and valves adjusted that often? I will not be racing the bike, just desert and trail riding. I do ride a bike hard and fast though.

Please give some advice to a guy that used to ride the bullet proof XR 400 that only required attention to the oil and air filter.

The YZ 400 definately did not like trail riding in the woods, the engine torque would constantly try to put you in the trees. Is the 07 YZ 450 a little tamer on the bottom end? How many guys use theirs for trail riding without regearing or fly wheel weights?:confused:

You now have the most reliable high performance thumper made. The bike uses an automatic cam chain adjuster so you don't need to worry about that, however, you should replace the cam chain annually.

As far as the valves are concerned you should check them after the first ten hours or so but they will be in spec. I am to the point now that I check my valve clearance every six months or so (and I ride/race alot) but they NEVER need adjustment.

Keep a clean and freshly oiled airfilter on it and keep the oil changed regularly and the bike will run forever.

Grease all your bearings...they come with only a little bit of low quality grease from the factory. If it has the stock chain, get rid of it, it is garbage and will eat your sprockets.

I have an 03 YZ450F that I have had for 2.5 yrs - bought it used. I am not suggesting this but other than cleaning the air filter and oil changes I don't do anything to my bike - never checked valves, nothing. I do have an o-ring chain and I have done a lot of upgrades but I just ride and wash it. So Wiz636 I think the YZFs are the most dependable 4-stroke there is.

I can't comment on the trail-ability of the 07 - my 03 I think would be a bit of a handful on the trails but 03 & 04 were the last yrs of the "full-on race motor" before Yamaha began taming it. I primarily ride MX so I want my 03 to climb trees.

Enjoy.

I bought my 07 last year and love it. I do mostly trail riding hear in NY up and down mountains without a problem. I came off a drz400s, and the yz is so much more powerful, BUT is still controlable in the tight stuff. Wouldn't trade it for anything, plus you'll notice how light it is. Checking the valves is pretty easy, I was nervous the first time, but now it is a breeze. Enjoy!!

I have an 03 YZ450F that I have had for 2.5 yrs - bought it used. I am not suggesting this but other than cleaning the air filter and oil changes I don't do anything to my bike - never checked valves, nothing. I do have an o-ring chain and I have done a lot of upgrades but I just ride and wash it. So Wiz636 I think the YZFs are the most dependable 4-stroke there is.

Enjoy.

I am the same.. no problems for 2.5 years also..:prof::bonk:

Well, I'm starting to wonder about them. I bought the first of my two '06's in Jun of '06, so it's right at 22 months old now. I knew I had to replace the stock chain, so I stuck a Regina ORN6 on it, but now, after not quite 2 years, I need a new chain and sprockets. On top of that, I've checked the valves twice and it still doesn't need adjustment. Now, after all that, I had to put a $6 kick starter seal in the thing.

By the way things are going, I'm not going to get any more trouble out of these two then I had with my '03. I tell you, I'm about fed up with this whole thing.

:prof:

Well, I'm starting to wonder about them. I bought the first of my two '06's in Jun of '06, so it's right at 22 months old now. I knew I had to replace the stock chain, so I stuck a Regina ORN6 on it, but now, after not quite 2 years, I need a new chain and sprockets. On top of that, I've checked the valves twice and it still doesn't need adjustment. Now, after all that, I had to put a $6 kick starter seal in the thing.

By the way things are going, I'm not going to get any more trouble out of these two then I had with my '03. I tell you, I'm about fed up with this whole thing.

:prof:

Means that there's less business for you mechanics, huh Gray??:confused::bonk:

I'm starting year #2 with my 04 YZ450. I bought it used last spring, so I don't really know the history of it as far as maint or repairs, but so far so good. For this year, it't getting a new chain and sprockets, and a new rear tire and that's it. It sounds good, runs good, and even looks good for an 04, so I think it was well cared for. One thing though, I'm always hearing about how the 03s and 04s are so hard hitting, but, I really don't see it. This is without a doubt one of the sweetest bikes to ride that I've ever been on.

I agree, I have 04 YZ450 and have rode it pretty hard in the past 2 years and the thing appears to be bullet proof. I clean the air filter after every ride and change the oil after about 4 rides.

One thing I notcied this spring though is the bike has become a little harder to start and backfires from time to time when cold?

I have not changed the plug for quite awhile, anyone think its simple as a plug?

I have not checked valve clearances since I bought it and have about 20 rides on it.

One more thing Coastie3202...check your sprocket to hub bolts regulalry and loctite them, If the bolts stretch after retorque then replace them. I've had two hub failures on my 06' yz450. There are several threads on TT about hub failures on the yz's.

Other than that, they're a great bike.

Congratulations and welcome to the YZ camp.

Spark plugs are cheap even if not real easy to change out. I like to change them at least once a year. I originally had a YZ426F and whenever it got hard to start a new plug was the ticket. Now I just change them out regularly and I never have starting issues. Even though everyone says it is not needed I also run 110 octane race gas - for the longest time it was $5.25 (here in Florida) so not a big difference over the $3 93 octane. Its now $6.25 but a day of riding I might burn 2-3 gals but it runs so much better it is totally worth it to me.