more than routine maintenance xr650l

8 replies to this topic
  • cbsmarty

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:51 AM

hey guys, i really enjoy reading through these forums and have used a lot of the info on my bike. ive got a 06 xr650l with about 4200 miles on it. ive done the routine maint thats in the owners and repair manual at about the required mileage. i was wondering what i should be doing on top of the routine maint. what ive done is mainly lofs, air filter cleaning, valve clearance check did not require adj, rear tire change with several chain adj and lube, and other minor checks and adjustments. thanks in advance for the info.:confused:

• cleonard

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:57 AM

As far as the engine goes there isn't really anything else needed unless something breaks.

The rest of the bike can use some work though. All the bearings in the swingarm, linkage can be taken apart cleaned of all the old grease and re greased. Put the moly paste on the shock spherical bearings. Same clean and re grease treatment for the steering head bearings. I changed my wheel bearings a few years ago. The old ones were still good, but I figured that since they are cheap I would do it before they fail.

• Denn10

Posted March 24, 2008 - 10:22 AM

lube your cables, clutch pull will be alot easier and make it more fun to ride. A cable luber works awesome and there about $10, most people neglect that.

• 650_shark

Posted March 24, 2008 - 12:22 PM

Check the wheel bearings, swingarm, linkage bearings. The stock wheel bearings are not double sealed bearings and come from the factory under greased.

I just did all my bearings this past weekend, wheels/linkage/swingarm. Wheels were junk but the others were ok needed grease, I put new ones in anyway. My XRL is an 06 with 7700 miles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbsmarty

Posted March 24, 2008 - 01:06 PM

thanks guys, is there one grease thats the best for the bearings? and so i need to clean and repack the wheel, swingarm, and steering head bearings, do they all use that same grease? i forgot to mention the cable lubing, did that today! thanks again

• Denn10

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:20 PM

i use a waterproof grease Maxima actually, theres alot that work fine but try to get a waterproof one for sure.

• 650_shark

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:33 PM

I think the service manual calls out a moly grease. Like Denn10 there are a lot that will work, but his suggestion of waterproof is good.

• cleonard

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:52 PM

I think the service manual calls out a moly grease. Like Denn10 there are a lot that will work, but his suggestion of waterproof is good.

Most any grease will work. Honda calls out a special moly paste in certain places, like the shock bearings. I think that it is 60% MoS2. It is great stuff and is available from any Honda dealer.

• Itchykawa

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:49 PM

Keep an eye on your spokes. The XRs are heavy and wheel care is important. Thump your spokes occasionally and snug any loose ones.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.