Urgent, Smog block off kit questions

34 replies to this topic
  • Itchykawa

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Nice work R4L162. :excuseme: Find a couple of bolts to pop in the holes left by the smog pump before they clog with dirt. :confused:

• Purcell69

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:33 PM

I did the 1/2" hose from tranny vent to the air box, via instructions from 4strokes.com. anothe question I have is since this is the tranny vent/crank case vent wont it put oil in the air box?

but Gary crawford on 4strokes says nothing about the can size canister and the diaphram.
So let me get this straight, the 2 hoses that come off the diaphram and go to the 2 nipples on the carb are the ones to be removed and capped???

Ray

The crank case vent into the air box will pull a little oil vapor in, which is one reason why Honda put the separator on, however, like Martinfan has done, with the line and push in breather being raised to a location under the seat, the problem is resolved without getting oil residue everywhere.

Yes, you are correct. The two nipples on the carb are capped and there is one short vacuum line that runs from the nipple on the top right front of the carb up to the upper right side, the little circular looking plate.

-Joe

• martinfan30

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:51 PM

[color=red]The crank case vent into the air box will pull a little oil vapor in, which is one reason why Honda put the separator on, however, like Martinfan has done, with the line and push in breather being raised to a location under the seat, the problem is resolved without getting oil residue everywhere.[/color]

This is exactly why I decided to route the hose up, and then a filter on the end. No oily box...:prof:

• riding4life162

Posted April 02, 2008 - 11:03 AM

Here the rest of the pics with the new K&N crankcase vent filter. this closed off those 2 small airbox holes (one from the crankcase and other from the smog alien.

Oh to save money I just reused the same hose that was already attached to the crankcase.

The only thing I came that has me thinking is the new filter is rather large, and it touches the seat when the seat is in place, but Ill work that out later.

Just a shot of the work (below)
Posted Image

Pic of the crankcase hose leading to the new k&N Filter (below)
Posted Image

Hose in the pic above went from the crankcase to this hole in the airbox.
Posted Image

Routing from the crankcase up through the frame pic 1 (below)
Posted Image

Routing from the crankcase up through the frame pic 2 (below)
Posted Image

Heres the gigantic filter thats going on.
Posted Image

Here it is sitting in its spot under the seat (seat removed)
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:02 PM

Nice, looks like mine!

• AaronBrown

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:05 PM

I need to do that. I hate oily box.

• Memnok

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:15 PM

I wonder if I can find that case breather at Napa, Kragen, or Auto Zone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riding4life162

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:27 PM

I wonder if I can find that case breather at Napa, Kragen, or Auto Zone.

Chances are they dont carry it in stock and they will have to order it. I went to about 4 or 5 stores looking for it then I decided to just go online and get there different stores numbers and call and they all said they could just order it. So I just went to the K&N site and ordered it from there. It was 19 bucks plus 6 bucks shipping and it arrived at my door in exactly 3 days.

heres the link.....
http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

I ordered part number 62-1050

I think Marlinfan has part number 62-1010 because from the pic his is noticeably smaller than mine.
but both work.

• martinfan30

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Chances are they dont carry it in stock and they will have to order it. I went to about 4 or 5 stores looking for it then I decided to just go online and get there different stores numbers and call and they all said they could just order it. So I just went to the K&N site and ordered it from there. It was 19 bucks plus 6 bucks shipping and it arrived at my door in exactly 3 days.

heres the link.....
http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

I ordered part number 62-1050

I think Marlinfan has part number 62-1010 because from the pic his is noticeably smaller than mine.
but both work.

I think you are right, I noticed that too. The dimensions of mine are more "square" 2"x2". I am just too busy to pull the seat off again to check. Then again, Im sitting in front of this PC!:prof:

• riding4life162

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:18 PM

I think you are right, I noticed that too. The dimensions of mine are more "square" 2"x2". I am just too busy to pull the seat off again to check. Then again, Im sitting in front of this PC!:prof:

yeah, i think your is: 2" O.D.; 1 1/2" H

I think I want the one you have, mine is really large, I wonder if I can send it back and get the one you have.

• RipperFox

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:17 PM

but both work.

This is a family channel:p

• riding4life162

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:37 PM

haha, its funny cause after i typed it, I was proof reading it and thought it sounded funny, but then i was like screw it. haha

• Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:52 PM

I just finished my desmog. I really liked the idea of the case vent not oiling up the filter box. I ended up finding a Uni Filter UP-123:

Posted Image

Cant beat the price at $14 bucks!

• riding4life162

Posted April 09, 2008 - 11:03 PM

I just finished my desmog. I really liked the idea of the case vent not oiling up the filter box. I ended up finding a Uni Filter UP-123:

Posted Image

Cant beat the price at $14 bucks!

cool, hope the unifilter is smaller than the k&N one I got. Where did you route the uni filter to?

• Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 11:25 PM

Same as you, up and over the rear shock. From the look of your photo, the Uni is smaller. I think it was 1.5" x 1.5".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.