Help! What to do with my forks/shocks? - yz400 '99

1 reply to this topic
  • MAZMAN

Posted March 24, 2008 - 12:33 AM

Hey guys,
I have a '99 yz400, and my front forks and rear shocks are gone.

If i press down on the seat, it will go down a bit and then just stop there, wont return back unless i manually lift it up again myself.
Same with the fronts, press it down and it just stay's there...

So, riding it is really stiff, i feel every bump, especially hard on my hands/arms, and the bike tends to bounce off too hard from rocks/rough terrain.

Im only a novice, and ride woods only, so would love a nice soft suspension setup, what id like to ask is the following:

1). Should i attempt in rebuilding this myself? I tend to do a lot of things on my own, so if i can do this without any special tools required, i would love to give it a go, but if the cost's would be too great, maybe it would be easier to give to a dealer?

2). (here in australia, a shock rebuild goes around AU$300, this is what i was told by a mate that got his done), so for both front and rear id be looking at double that! so you understand why i would like to save some money if i can.
Now, the bonus with giving it to some1 in the know, would be that they could set up the shock/forks to whatever i like, so if i tell them my weight and riding style, id be getting a setup to suit me, while if i rebuild it myself, i would just get the same setup the yz400 came with spec wise.

3). Was looking at ebay and seen a few forks/shocks off different models of bikes, like shocks from yz250/426 etc.. but i do not know if these would fit my bike and if its a good idea? being second hand and all...
Any place in USA that sell forks/shocks that would be a reasonable price that also ship?

What would you do in my situation?
cheers,
Danny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:37 AM

Simply based on the age of the bike I would recommend that you have the forks/shocks serviced by an experienced suspension guy. You will notice a huge difference and it will be money well spent. A dirt bike with good suspension is a joy to ride.

Aside from that, make sure that all your bearings (swingarm, linkage, and shock) are in good order and well greased. Wasted bearings will prevent the rear suspension from returning to the top.

For the forks, make sure that they are not bound by improper alignment. Remove axle and clean and grease it. Replace your axle, tighten the axle nut, bounce the forks a few times then tighten the axle pinch bolts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.