Any tricks for getting airboot on carb 08YZ450f?

26 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2010 - 11:18 PM

I unbolt the air box form the sub frame when I want the sub off, and just leave it there. Stays on while I take the shock off, too. Putting the air box back on by itself is easy, shock or no shock.

But speaking of the shock, how are all you guys who are suggesting that the shock needs to be out of the way installing the shock after the sub frame is back on?

• davbrucas

Posted January 11, 2010 - 07:11 AM

The shock will come out (and go back in) easily with upper subframe bolt removed and the lower ones loosened.

• yam314

Posted January 11, 2010 - 07:43 AM

I just did mine this weekend.It was very cold in the garage,so I used a heat gun on the boot,and it went on quite easy.I had the top bold on the subframe,but the bottom bolts were off.I would definately not want to use any sort of lubricate other than contact cleaner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tunefx

Posted January 11, 2010 - 07:49 PM

This sounds funny but I heat the boot with a hair dryer and always goes right on.

I had problems in the past and got that tip from a guy at Yamaha.

S

Ditto!!

I do something very similar in the winter. I have one of those round kerosene heaters in the shop. I hold the subframe and airboot over the heater like I'm cooking marshmallows. After about 1-2 minutes the boot is nice and soft and it slides right on. In the summer I use the heat gun if the boot is not cooperating. Before learning this trick it would sometimes become a 1 or 2 beer project just to get the boot back on.

Ok, no chocolate and graham cracker--smores jokes!!

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2010 - 05:56 AM

I've never had a problem with this, but use a thin, very, very, very thin coat of grease. Just moisten it and it will slip right on. I have done this on my last 4 bikes, from years 06-09. Works everytime.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted January 12, 2010 - 05:17 PM

I always just slip the boot on before I try to bolt the subframe at all. Once the boot is on the carb, then bolt up the subframe. Carb cleaner helps for sure.
JB

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2010 - 06:00 PM

Jeff, this is the same way I do it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.