Any tricks for getting airboot on carb 08YZ450f?

26 replies to this topic
  • wolfie12

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:18 PM

Is it my imagination or is the subframe reassembly a real bear on this 08 YZ450f? I'm no rookie either, but there's gotta be a better way to get this boot seated on the carb. :confused: Its a super tight fit, and clearance if minimal by the shock. I'm just wondering if there any tricks or shortcuts.

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:29 PM

The only trick I know is a shot of carb cleaner for lube, use a wire hook to work the boot on, and be patient.

• thumpyz

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:31 PM

Loosen the intake manifold boot, this will allow you to manipulate the carb into the air boot. once in, tighten airboot clamp and then manipulate the carb into the manifold boot. this is what i do, it might not work for you.:confused:

• Family Man

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Another vote for carb cleaner. Dries quick.

• Kasjok

Posted March 23, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Get the subframe totally loose by removing all 3 bolts. Then remove the upper bolt of the shock and now you should get it there with no problemos. Loosening the carb from the front helps too. I have even installed the boot side first an then the front side.

• mxracer206

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:19 AM

I always remove the air box from the sub frame, it is just 4 bolts. It is easy to slide the air boot on then and the sub slides right back thru the air box.

• Wiz636

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:28 AM

Loosen the intake manifold boot, this will allow you to manipulate the carb into the air boot. once in, tighten airboot clamp and then manipulate the carb into the manifold boot. this is what i do, it might not work for you.:confused:

That's the way I do it...loosen the clamp on the engine side of the carb and pull the back of the carb just slightly to left (not enough to come out of the forward boot). This gives just enough clearance from the shock for it to slide right on. No muss, no fuss. :excuseme:

• nickeenoo

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Is there any problem with using some kind of lube other than carb cleaner? Just wondering if you could use grease or something?

Nate

• todds924

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:31 PM

Is there any problem with using some kind of lube other than carb cleaner? Just wondering if you could use grease or something?

Nate

I know this sounds kinda dumb but it works. Make sure you have the clamp bolt all the way loose...I mean down to the last thread. Use a little contact cleaner or carb cleaner on the boot and try and slip the inside of the boot on the carb first <the shock side> When its done correctly the whole subframe and airbox will hang from the back of the carb. It is kinda tricky the first couple of times but after that its easy.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:16 PM

Nate

Yes, there is something wrong with that: It encourages the boot to slip back off sometime later.

Carb cleaner makes the rubber boot quite slippery, but then evaporates (even out from under the clamped boot), leaving the rubber surface clean, so that it can maintain a good seal. Oily things like grease, vaseline, WD-40, etc., stay oily too long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickeenoo

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:30 PM

Thanks, I'm just about to tear the bike apart to lube it up, etc. and I'll make sure I have some carb cleaner on hand.

Nate

• Ga426owner

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:22 AM

There are several ways to do this - I have tried all of these. The bottomline......the boot is a PITA to get on period. Loosening the front boot and installing the rear is preferable. But the key here is patience and lots of it. I do not use any solvents just wrist strength.....get use to tearing up knuckles and yelling....but patience will win and it will go on. Try not to bend the boot clamp....it will not seal correctly once it is tweaked. :confused:

• wolfie12

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:14 PM

There are several ways to do this - I have tried all of these. The bottomline......the boot is a PITA to get on period. Loosening the front boot and installing the rear is preferable. But the key here is patience and lots of it. I do not use any solvents just wrist strength.....get use to tearing up knuckles and yelling....but patience will win and it will go on. Try not to bend the boot clamp....it will not seal correctly once it is tweaked. :confused:

I think that pretty much covers how I did it the first time, haha...lotsa swearing, skinned knuckles, grunting and straightening out the clamp three or four times. This is the second time I pulled the subframe, and was hoping for a few tips that might help. Thanks everyone for all the replies and tips.:excuseme:

• wolfie12

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:09 PM

I always remove the air box from the sub frame, it is just 4 bolts. It is easy to slide the air boot on then and the sub slides right back thru the air box.

BEST TIP OF THE THREAD. Thanks! I did that tonight and it worked like a charm, no elbow grease required, the boot slid right on, without having to pull the carb out of the manifold. The subframe just goes on right over it and bolts right up. Great tip, I'd never done it like that on any bike, always reinstalled (and swore alot) the airbox and subframe as one piece. Should be a pinned FAQ imo.

• dbyamaha

Posted January 09, 2010 - 08:48 PM

spit on it!!!

• davbrucas

Posted January 09, 2010 - 08:59 PM

Easiest way is to just take the shock completely off...

• FinchFan194

Posted January 09, 2010 - 09:15 PM

This is what I do, works like a charm:thumbsup:

• motoscotty

Posted January 10, 2010 - 10:46 AM

This sounds funny but I heat the boot with a hair dryer and always goes right on.

I had problems in the past and got that tip from a guy at Yamaha.

S

• MX4Life

Posted January 10, 2010 - 12:47 PM

You're not gonna believe it, but this was the driving force behind me getting a 2010. I fought with the subframe/airbox boot for 1/2 hour, only to find I had the clamp on backwards.:moon:
I ordered a 2010 the next day.

• SAthump

Posted January 10, 2010 - 09:11 PM

I have found removing the upper shock bolt gives plenty on room the put the boot on the carb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.