replacing the $20 junk stock chain

26 replies to this topic
  • Big Black

Posted March 23, 2008 - 03:15 PM

picked up a 2008 yz 450 and want to replace the stock chain, what does everyone run or prefer?...any input is appreciated.

thanks, brian

• salasmauricio

Posted March 23, 2008 - 03:36 PM

Any good quality O-ring chain, way better than stock.

• souphmars

Posted March 23, 2008 - 03:54 PM

Regina O-ring- they are a little pricey but they last forever

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Regina ORN6.

• BASSic

Posted March 23, 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm running a "Primary Drive" gold x-ring chain. It's a house brand from Rocky Mountain MC, and there's a rumor that it's identical to the D.I.D. gold X-ring chain.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Regina ORN6 and nearly got that one myself, but I decided to take a chance and go with the primary drive. I got the chain and new sprockets for less than a new Regina chain. So far I'm very happy with it. I've adjusted it once since initial break-in and haven't had to touch it since.

• Family Man

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:52 PM

I put a regina orn6 on my bike this time around, wore out a did er3 and spocketes. I had to adjust my chain alot. With the Regina it doesnt strech nearly as much, I like it. I would also say to go for a 50 tooth rear chain wheel, as it makes a huge improvement in the bikes response.

• TWILES

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:12 AM

I always used the Tsubaki Omega-S on all my quads. It will stretch once and thats it for a while.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 24, 2008 - 09:35 AM

I perfer the D.I.D ert 2 chain, but thats me.. ive heard nothing but good thingks about the Regina chains.

• Stepdaddy

Posted March 24, 2008 - 11:10 AM

Just got my Regina ORN6 from the TT store, $81.xx and i saw it in about 5 days. i should have it on in the next few days and i cant wait untill i dont have to tighten it after every ride.

• todds924

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:26 PM

DID ERV3...... the last chain you'll ever need. I have over 100 hours on the stock sprockets and i put on an ERV3 when the bike was new. My 06 had an erv3 with over 150 hours on it and it was still new. I have also heard very good things about the Regina ORN6.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmzRacer293

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Ive got an ORN6. adjusted it three times after prolly 30 hours of use. not bad at all.

• Big Black

Posted March 24, 2008 - 03:13 PM

well , i went with the ORN6, also got a new 50t for the rear. thanks for all the input.

brian

• yamasaki

Posted March 24, 2008 - 03:16 PM

i need to try that chain next. i'm going through too many chains/sprockets! just ordered another set of renthal sprockets + did ert2 gold

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:17 PM

You guys be careful with statemtns like "the DID gold chain". DID makes a handful of chains that are all gold in color, more than 1 of them are x-ring type, and they're all very different, and very different in price. State the model, such as the ERV3, or VM. Just trying to make sure you know what you're buying so you're not getting shafted on the price. :confused:

• BergArabia

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:13 AM

I have had a DID x-ring on my YZ for more than two years now.
I adjusted it once when new I think, but hasn't needed any adjustments since then. Sprockets are also still like new..
Oops , sirthumpalot I can't remember the model, it has been on there so long. I still have the box cos I put the brand new (never used and probably never will be) stocker in the box when I chan.ged it..
will check.

• yamasaki

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:41 AM

I have had a DID x-ring on my YZ for more than two years now.

TWO YEARS???? wow. thats nuts.

i'd like to see a picture of your sprockets, i cant believe it!

• RJB

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:43 AM

Just fitted a DID O-Ring, but it only came with the clip type link which makes it just that little bit wider. It catches on the brand new chain block :confused: I guess the o-ring/x-ring chains are just that little bit wider that they don't fit the bits as designed. Reckon a ride will wear down the block so it doesn't catch, but would have preferred that DID shipped their chain with a rivet type link instead. No store I can just rush out and get one here :excuseme:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:00 AM

i need to try that chain next. i'm going through too many chains/sprockets! just ordered another set of renthal sprockets + did ert2 gold

Renthal Alum sprockets are junk.....They won't last one riding season. My recomendation is a sprocket that will hold up - any Stainless Steel sprocket from either Turner or IronMan will make the chain last many riding seasons. You are just throwing money away using any alum spec sprocket on these bikes. OMHO

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:12 AM

You are just throwing money away using any alum spec sprocket on these bikes. OMHO

The stock Sunstar 49 on my son's '06 lasted over a year and a half. The Tag rear (they're hard anodized) on my '03 was OK when I sold it, and it was more than two years old, as was the ORN6 chain. It's all about the chain pitch staying within limits.

But I agree that Renthals are not a good buy. They are not hardened, whereas Tag and AFAM are hard anodized, sell for about the same money, and hold up much better.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:27 AM

:confused: :excuseme:

The stock Sunstar 49 on my son's '06 lasted over a year and a half. The Tag rear (they're hard anodized) on my '03 was OK when I sold it, and it was more than two years old, as was the ORN6 chain. It's all about the chain pitch staying within limits.

But I agree that Renthals are not a good buy. They are not hardened, whereas Tag and AFAM are hard anodized, sell for about the same money, and hold up much better.

ok point taken hard anodized is better than non hardened....but my SS Ironmans both 48 and 50s have been on my 06 since 06, look brand new, and and I have the original 47 tooth Ironman SS on my 03 from 05 - with barely any wear on it....I wont ever be buying any sprocket unless it is SS period....
:excuseme: :sweden:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.