XR650R DS mods and Speedo ?'s

My brother in law put a spare speedo unit off my XL600 on his 650r and once he fabbed a mount it fit behind the number plate like it was made for it. It is rectangular too. See em on ebay once in awhile cheap. Even used the same cable. KLR speedo units have a tach in them too and look like they might fit but you dont find them cheep, and I dont know if speed would read accurate, but I bet it would.

That sounds like a good deal, now all I have to do is keep my eyes open till I find one. Thanks for the tip.

I am on the hunt for the right GPS for it as well. I would like to find one that I would like in the truck as well...

I went to order the lens you mentioned and the dealer told me that there was no XR500 in 85, just an XR600, I was really hoping to order that...

Sorry about that. I've likely got the year wrong. We can get around that issue though... :prof:

See the FAQ #23 posted here: http://www.dirtrodders.com/xr650r/faq.html#23

You'll find the exact part numbers that are suggested. Do note that the lens will take a little modification with a file or dremel to get the H4 bulb to fit. I'll take some pictures of the glass lens with an H4 bulb for reference. Then you can decide if it is the right mod for you.

Part numbers: 33120-MG3-003, or 33120-MK2-671; the MG3 has a better upper pivot mount (according to the dirtrodders site)

Well, I got the DS kit from Procycle and I got one of the left over speedometers from ATK (boy was that a lucky find!)

I am still thinking on the headlight mod, but think I am going to get the glass lens mentioned.

I also need to do the stator rewind...

then all I have to do is put it together.

I used a 1983 XR200R speedo,bracket,and cable on my XR650R,everything bolted on including the mounting bracket!I got a Suzuki SV650 handlebar switch,and the DRZ400 tail light and turn signals should be here tomorrow.

I also got my tiny tiny battery and I built a battery box not much bigger than a match box.lol

I'm going to hook the rectifier up to the regulator,will the stock headlight work with DC current?

My XRR came with the Baja Designs kit which has been inadequete. I upgraded the rear signal and brake light to led. Brighter and less juice. The tailight is the one with the plate holder. On the first steep downhill the plate holder sucked into the tire and shattered. Light still works. My Baja Designs battery pack exploded so I wired it straight from the rectifier with 100w of my 200w stator. It all works fine at idle. After I get the battery replaced and upgrade the rectifier to handle the new stator I'm going to look at upgrading the headlight to LED. I have this headlight kit.

http://www.acerbis.com/p107_headlight/3024.html

Lamps from Home Depot fit right in it(35w). I was looking at LED lights for it online and it appears they will fit to(55w output, 5w pull). I'm just trying to figure out what size beam I need.

I used a 1983 XR200R speedo,bracket,and cable on my XR650R,everything bolted on including the mounting bracket!I got a Suzuki SV650 handlebar switch,and the DRZ400 tail light and turn signals should be here tomorrow.

I also got my tiny tiny battery and I built a battery box not much bigger than a match box.lol

I'm going to hook the rectifier up to the regulator,will the stock headlight work with DC current?

Frank,

Sounds like it is coming together well for you!

I am headed over to the Honda dealer tomorrow to order the headlight lens assy, it is $33. I am going to run the 35w till I get the stator rewound and do the dual element bulb mod.

Yours looks a lot like mine right now.

I just finished taking off the smog and uncorking it. and I am in the middle of routing all the wires. Since I am not going to use a battery I don't have to fab near as much. Once I get the speedo fabbed into it's new home I will post up some pics.

Yours looks a lot like mine right now.

I just finished taking off the smog and uncorking it. and I am in the middle of routing all the wires. Since I am not going to use a battery I don't have to fab near as much. Once I get the speedo fabbed into it's new home I will post up some pics.

It's nice to have a small battery pack.This is mine with the 8 AA batteries(? and the reg\retifier® without any mods to the airbox,Well..except the filter cover to get more air(battery covers the air intake a little)

DSCN4583.jpg

Hoping to get a DRZ400SM headlight assembly.I didn't intend to use all Suzuki lights,it just worked out that way.lol Suzuki stuff is alot cheaper than Honda stuff.Scalejocky,I like the way your batterys don't take up much room.I could have mounted the battery without cutting the air box,but I didn't want it rubbing on the seat,etc.

AEmedic,I'd like to see some of your pic's.

Buying a kit would have been alot easier,but doing it all myself is fun to me,and a good bit cheaper.