xr 600

9 replies to this topic
  • hondarider623

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:52 PM

I bought a 96 xr 600. I live in middle ohio and I finally got to take it out riding in southern ohio, my brother took my other bike 2000 cr250. It done alright on the road but when it came to trails it failed badly.Its too heavy for them, too big and bulky also. well even on the road my 250 would smoke my 600 in take off and for a pretty good distants. when I got to ride my 250 later it was like getting on a moped with a rocket attached. what i want to know is there anyone in central ohio who rides one of these hogs and where. do you like yours,or am i just spoiled with the lighter cr250.

• Slim Shadetree

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:40 PM

they are big and heavy no doubt. i'm 6'4 200lbs and this bike is big and heavy. but i got a good deal on mine !

• Owyhee

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:19 PM

The 600 is big and heavy but it's also geared a touch taller than the 250. Try gearing the 250 for a top speed of 95mph and see if it still feels quick. Or, conversely, gear the 600 for 65mph top speed.

"O"

• cleonard

Posted March 23, 2008 - 09:48 PM

I ride my 600 on the tightest of trails. Is it as easy to ride as a 250 2 stroke on those trails, maybe not. It takes different technique.

• DGXR

Posted March 24, 2008 - 12:23 PM

I ride my 600 on the tightest of trails. Is it as easy to ride as a 250 2 stroke on those trails, maybe not. It takes different technique.

Exactly. No doubt a lighter bike will be easier to toss around in twisty single track, but if you get enough seat time on the big XR6 then you will get used to the steering/suspension dynamics, the power delivery, and the overall feel of the bike. My XR5 is 325 pounds wet and I toss it around easily only because I've been romping on it for 4+ years. I especially like power everywhere in the RPM range, so I don't have to be in exactly the right gear to make it through a certain section. The same cannot be said of 2-strokes. But that's just me. Ultimately, big heavy thumpers are not for everyone and it's all a matter of preference. I suggest you spend some time getting to know her better and then make your own choice about what you want in the longer term. Good luck, have fun. :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondarider623

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:47 PM

your right,thanks for the imput.I guess I was expecting something different .although, I rode again today all road riding it did well on the road, I had another person that opening up the air box would let it breath better and give it more power, I did notice a differance.let me know what kind of modifacations you have done for your bikes.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:37 PM

I hope you didn't get the 600 thinking it would be a four stroke version of your CR250. I went from a '92 CR250 to my current '95 XR600 and it took some riding style adjustments to get comfortable on the big thumper. The 600 doesn't have explosive power like a 250 smoker, but instead it has not just power, but torque everywhere. It's like driving an Acura Integra and then jumping into a Mustang GT. At first glance the Mustang seems like a tractor that can't turn, but with a good driver it can be faster around a track than the lighter, peakier, better handling car.

• scalejockey

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:27 AM

On the two track or slick dirt roads with lots of turns the big four-stroke smoke anything with snappy power.

I still forget to twist the throttle when it sounds like my 650 is bogging on a hill and need to shift down.It's there,but it's in the basement.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 25, 2008 - 10:40 AM

even the XR650L can be ridden in tight stuff, but as previously stated with different technique and you will be slower than when on a 250, unless your Scott Summers or the like...

• cleonard

Posted March 25, 2008 - 11:24 AM

I had another person that opening up the air box would let it breath better and give it more power, I did notice a differance.let me know what kind of modifacations you have done for your bikes.

The main air box mod is removing the restrictive snorkel. With that out it can breathe in fairly well. You might get a little more with other air box mods, but not very much. I want the water resistance so I have no extra holes.

Breathing out is a real problem with the stock pipe and baffle. That tiny hole in the baffle really corks up the exhaust. If you remove it the exhaust is really loud. I have an aftermarket baffle, but I don't think that they are still being made. An aftermarket pipe sheds a few pounds and will breathe better.

Carb jetting helps. A 68 pilot helps starting a lot compared to the overly lean stock jet. On the main it depends on your setup and altitude. You really need to experiment to find what is best for you. I think that I currently have a 162, but my carb has some other mods(no choke). Speaking of that check your choke plate. The little flapper is prone to metal fatigue and eventually breaks off and gets sucked into the engine. Mine was hanging by a thread when I looked and the entire plate had a crack almost all the way through. I got really lucky on that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.