Rear fender rack

17 replies to this topic
  • axle8

Posted March 23, 2008 - 11:07 AM

I'm looking for a rear fender rack for my L with the Maier MX fender. Anyone know of a nice rack that will fit. I bought one from Xrs only and the Maier fender is to high for the side rails. :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:05 PM

Try the Pro Moto Billet rack. I run a rear CRF450 fender and all is good!

• axle8

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Martin.

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:34 PM

Give the black one on ebay a look unless you need to carry heavy loads. It is not good for big weight but it looks cool and is well made. Cheap too. I keep a tail pack on mine for the small necessities on the road/trail.

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:46 PM

This rack is awesome. Just a bit pricey though, and very strong.

Posted Image
Posted Image

A little overloaded, but handles it.

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Give the black one on ebay a look unless you need to carry heavy loads. It is not good for big weight but it looks cool and is well made. Cheap too. I keep a tail pack on mine for the small necessities on the road/trail.

Don't get me wrong - The RACK will stand up to anything. It's your framework under the fender that won't hold up to any serious weight because of the simple way the rack mounts to the bike.

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:16 PM

Don't get me wrong - The RACK will stand up to anything. It's your framework under the fender that won't hold up to any serious weight because of the simple way the rack mounts to the bike.

Very true. My L will see some serious downsizing load wise next time.

• Kenzo

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:17 PM

when u install a rack on a L are the installation points strong enough to use the rack as a handhold to lift and move the rear of the bike around???

TIA

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:21 PM

when u install a rack on a L are the installation points strong enough to use the rack as a handhold to lift and move the rear of the bike around???

TIA

With my PMB rack, yes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:39 PM

TIA

I wouldn't do it with my ebay rack. You can feel the framework under the fender flexing. I like it though. The only way to beat it is to spend way more money. It is great for the price. If you are looking to haul some expedition-type weight I would look elsewhere and dig a little deeper into my pockets. It makes a great every day rack though. Looks good on my '06 too. The black rack flows well with the color scheme on pigs with the black-topped seat.

• Norge

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

Do you mean this one? It requires longer mounts to accommodate the Maier fender. Besides welding longer mounts, I welded them to the inside of rack since the stock turn signal mounts are no longer there.

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Yeah. That's the one. Thanks for the pic. Guess it won't work with the maier fender without mods though. You did a great job on it.

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Very true. My L will see some serious downsizing load wise next time.

I meant the ebay rack Martin. I don't know about yours, but it looks like it will carry plenty of weight by your pics! When the time comes (July) I'm going to find out just how much mine will carry. It's going westward on the TAT and it will be loaded to the max I am sure. :confused:

• wheelnut46

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:50 PM

http://www.cycleracks.com/

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 05:37 PM

http://www.cycleracks.com/

:excuseme: Now there's a rack for BIG loads. It seems a bit overkill for every day use however. Haven't seen anything to beat it for expeditions though - short of something custom built that is. Those Aussies can make the best custom "monster" expedition racks from what I have seen. For heavy duty "bolt on", that one looks to be in a class by itself.

There's your rack Kenzo. You could lift your entire bike 100 feet off the ground and swing it in circles by that one! :confused:

• Kenzo

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:08 PM

:excuseme: Now there's a rack for BIG loads. It seems a bit overkill for every day use however. Haven't seen anything to beat it for expeditions though - short of something custom built that is. Those Aussies can make the best custom "monster" expedition racks from what I have seen. For heavy duty "bolt on", that one looks to be in a class by itself.

There's your rack Kenzo. You could lift your entire bike 100 feet off the ground and swing it in circles by that one! :confused:

if i need a "pack mule" i'll take the KLR :excuseme:

i just want sum real estate to stash my chit...a grab point is a big plus...

...i'm sorry but the cyclerack's rack is fugly...yeah i'm a poser :sweden:

:crazy:

• Cocky Rooster

Posted March 23, 2008 - 10:47 PM

I love my happy-trail.com rack. Super strong even without the center fender bracket being used. I have a Maier rear motocross fender and everything cleared just fine, but you will either have to cut the center tab bracket that goes down to the little fender subframe, or just cut a hole in the fender and let it hang in mid air under the fender as I did. 4500 miles in Baja with about 50lbs on the rack and not a single problem. I can put my entire weight on the thing and not feel any flex. And the powder coating is near indestructible, but I am trying my best:thumbsup:.

• tmh

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I ended up buying a Turbo City rack: $80 from New Enough:
http://www.newenough...ggage_rack.html

Good price, good rack. You don't want to overload it due to the bike's subframe, but I only want a rack to attach my Pelical 1400 box, and to provide a handhold for moving the bike around.

Here are some pics installed on my new-old beast:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And with Pelican box bolted on:
Posted Image
Tom

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.