Change Your Fork Oil........

15 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted November 06, 2002 - 10:18 AM

....my roommate, who's replacing my fork oil and seals, just called me. Says my fork oil has turned into some jelly type sludge stuff :)..........just a reminder to change your fork oil :D.

Peace

Dodger :D :D

• Math

Posted November 06, 2002 - 10:46 AM

How often should we do it?

Math

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 06, 2002 - 11:43 AM

I did mine last week and the oil came out like that, i put it down to water contamination, from now on i'll do it every 1000ks. feels much smoother now.

• Math

Posted November 06, 2002 - 12:08 PM

I think you may be right with the water contamination hypothesis. I remember my dad's old international tractor, the rear hydraulic lifter oil looked the same in the spring because we were not using the tractor at all during the winter season and that is what we concluded...anyway.

Math

• Chaindrive

Posted November 06, 2002 - 06:55 PM

FORK oil?!!! Who woulda thunk to look there! :) Is that what 2-stroke oil is for? UP-DOWN, UP-DOWN, UP-DOWN.... :D

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 06, 2002 - 07:40 PM

I've heard comments like that from a guy that attends "train club" :)

• WR450

Posted November 06, 2002 - 10:33 PM

I change mine every 6 - 8 months but you could get away with once a year
I am fussy about my suspension and I believe I can feel the difference with new oil

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 06, 2002 - 11:26 PM

I havent had mine a year, i got on 14 feb 2002 a year is too long. go by milage folks!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whywudyer

Posted November 06, 2002 - 11:43 PM

Huh! Change fork oil according to mileage??? I've had the thing for 3 months and have already changed 3 fork seals......... The oil ain't a problem....... :)

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 07, 2002 - 12:41 AM

My fork seals started leaking on the second ride, i've been feeler gauging them for 4500ks, i've fitted honda forkseals now so see how they go

• pgdirtman

Posted November 07, 2002 - 02:50 AM

What type of terrain are you riding in Melbourne? Is it mud and rocks? Hopefully someday I'll find out for myself. I missed my cahnce in the military when a port call to Perth was cancelled.

• MOmilkman

Posted November 07, 2002 - 04:33 AM

Solution!

Click on the banner ad found somewhere here on TT. They are called SealSavers. The absolute best aftermarket part ever made for those crappy Yamaha fork seals. I have had mine on for over a year and no weeping of oil yet.
www.sealsavers.com
(I suggest clicking on the banner ad though so TT gets credit)

The only thing Im worried about now is what you guys are talking about. Not changing my fork oil very often because the seals ARE NOT leaking!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 07, 2002 - 11:10 AM

I ride about a hundred (woods) miles a week on average. I change the fork oil about every 6 months. Fork seal condition and and fork oil changing, in my opinion, have nothing to do with each other. I've only had to change the fork seals once in the 2-1/2 years I've had the bike but I've changed the fork oil at least five times. It's not difficult, just a little time consuming because you have to take so much off just to replace the fork oil.

You know what Nike says: "Just Do It"

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 07, 2002 - 11:19 AM

We have got everything, depending which area we want to go,we've got slippery greasy hills to fast wide open trails were the 426 was invented for.

No doubt about it the mud makes the seals leak worse, i have a set of seal savers but i never fitted them, cant bring myself to leaving the top slider off.

• MOmilkman

Posted November 07, 2002 - 11:48 AM

bule beast,

Yo dont have to leave the top slider off.

Check it out...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just push the guide together a little harder and the neoprene will squeeze down and you can put the screw in with no problem.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 07, 2002 - 12:05 PM

Thank's i'll put em on.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.