XR600R question about kickstart gear, idler gear

3 replies to this topic
  • trickedride

Posted March 23, 2008 - 10:15 AM

im reassembling my 86 XR600 after complete trans. rebuild. the case is back together and im not understanding why the kickstart clicks backward when the crank is rotating. Does it constantly do that while the bike is running or what. I kinda thought that the kickstart gear would not rotate after the bike has started but just want to double check. Thanks in advance.

• Horri

Posted March 23, 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well if you rotate the crank and the kickstarts moving then somethings not right.Mine did the same thing and I couldn't figure out what was causing it.Before realizing it was a problem I kicked it over and the lever flew back and smashed a hole in the clutch cover.Someone reckoned I had the kickstart lever to far forward on the spline..I doubt that.This happened twice to two separate clutch casings before I had the brains to take it to a pro..Luckily I had spares. In the end I took it to a guy who knows more about these engines than I do and he removed the decompressor actuator which works off the kickstart mechanism..That fixed it.My advice take it to a guy who knows these engines or risk smashing a clutch casing...They are not cheap and somewhat rare secondhand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:01 PM

I dont know if this will help, but if the kickstart gears are not in the"bike running" position it will click.

• trickedride

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:26 PM

thats what i was unsure of, maybe the bike does have to be fully assembled and running in order for the clicking to stop. i dont see anything wrong with the kickstart and it was never fully taken aprt just removed from the case. if you try to turn the kickstart gear and install it just starts clicking again. i thought the teeth on that lock together and click were supposed to separate once the bike has started.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.