06 yz450f countersprocket.. how-to remove?

22 replies to this topic
  • yamasaki

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:52 AM

i know, it's a silly question. did i just forget? i'm replacing my chain/sprockets and i just can't get the countersprocket to budge. i didnt want to start applying insane amounts of pressure or put the torch to it to start heating it up just yet.

my manual doesnt say anything about it being reverse threaded or anything in particular about removing it. do i just need to apply more pressure?

i've still got the chain/sprockets on the bike, i was just trying to loosen the front countersprocket before removing the chain/rear wheel. i put a large screwdriver between the rear sprocket/swingarm.

i'm almost embarrassed to post this.. but, figured better to ask before really doing some damage..

i was riding yesterday and felt my bike make a weird jump/skip coming out of a corner.. i thought it was about to pop out of gear or something. i got off the track and we saw this... looks like i somehow ripped off a few teeth of the rear..

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:58 AM

Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear, and place a board across the swing arm, through the spokes, so it lays across both sides of the arm as near the rim as possible. Then crank the sprocket off. It's a right hand thread, so turn it counter-clockwise to loosen.

• mmbasa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:11 AM

That's a bit scary.

• yamasaki

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:31 AM

thanks gray

• William1

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:10 PM

Impact gun.

• todds924

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:14 PM

Impact gun.

Definitely the impact gun. You should know somebody that has one if you don't. Perhaps if your on good terms with a local dealership one of the mechanics could blast it off real quick for you..Only takes a second. On some countershaft sprockets i have tried to remove, like a couple WR's that were ridden in BAJA <Salt water> along the beach............An impact and PB blaster and heat were required.

• rickallen124

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:39 AM

You really should replace the sprockets before they get that worn. Your losing a lot of hp with worn sprockets like those.

• EGPeil

Posted March 24, 2008 - 01:38 PM

I had the same problem - the factory must have a sumo wrestler put them on. Don't put anything through the spokes - you'll bend them - take it from me. Use a strong air impact and even still it won't be easy.

Also - when removing the rear sprocket - use a hex head wrench only to hold the sprocket. Use a box-end wrench to loosen and remove the nut from behind the sprocket. You'll never turn (loosen) the sprocket bolt with the hex head - only ruin it.

• yamasaki

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:04 PM

ok, good responses... just popped back on here to update... lol

first things first.. it is NOT reverse threaded!!! mine came off counter-clockwise!! this was after i finally was able to make it budge (clockwise) using my breaker bar. i'm glad i 2nd guessed that instead of continuing to tighten it.

i used a little 1/2" rachet + 30mm socket + pipe homemade contraption.. just using constant pressue, nothing too crazy.. i was pushing hard consistently, but not jerking it or freaking out.

Posted Image

• yamasaki

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:05 PM

I had the same problem - the factory must have a sumo wrestler put them on.

for real!!!

also, no way i was putting anything through my spokes.. i used a big fat screwdriver jammed in the sprocket butted up against the swingarm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamasaki

Posted March 24, 2008 - 03:29 PM

seriously... i'm not usually this bad with maintenance issues.. lol

Posted Image

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Air gun is the easiest way IMHO. If you've got a strong one and good air supply you can leave the bike in neutral and the shock from the gun alone should pop it right off.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Air gun is the easiest way IMHO. If you've got a strong one and good air supply you can leave the bike in neutral and the shock from the gun alone should pop it right off.

It will, indeed, and that's what I do when at home. Don't need the bike in gear, or anything.

But trust me on the board through the spokes thing. You do it in 5th like I said, with the board all the way up against the rim, works perfectly.

• yamasaki

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:16 PM

i have a mickey mouse compressor, a hose rated for 90psi, and no impact gun, so i had to mcgyver it. :excuseme:

one day i'll have nicer tools.. i swear!! :confused:

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:58 AM

90 psi is workable, the key is big fat air hose (1/2" ID), big fat quick connects and a good wrench. :confused:

• 450licious

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:04 AM

in my manual if you have someone to help you it says to drop the rear tyre on the ground (if you have it on the stand) put foot on rear brake and do your thing.... cant see it possible doing it by yourself though.

• yamasaki

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:42 AM

in my manual if you have someone to help you it says to drop the rear tyre on the ground (if you have it on the stand) put foot on rear brake and do your thing.... cant see it possible doing it by yourself though.

i tried that, with the amount of pressure needed, there was no way. the wheel would still skip, even on the ground with the brake pedal mashed hard.

i'm telling you, this thing was ON THERE.

when i took my cylinder off my '06 i noticed the same thing, no way it was torqued to spec, they had the same sumo guy crank down the head/cylinder bolts too. maybe this is yamaha's secret to reliability? screw the manual! theyre using german specs for all their bolts "gutandtight"

• Ga426owner

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:56 AM

there are several ways to get the CS off - you found one, Grey has another, others use impact wrenchs and I have my own method (Top Secret).....more importantly, please tell me you are replacing both sprockets and chain as a group.......:confused:

• yamasaki

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:01 AM

please tell me you are replacing both sprockets and chain as a group.......:confused:

why? the rear is fine. i'm gonna change the front sprocket with a new one, and i still have the stock chain i took off after having the bike for a month, i think it'll be a sweet setup!

• Ga426owner

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:21 AM

why? the rear is fine. i'm gonna change the front sprocket with a new one, and i still have the stock chain i took off after having the bike for a month, i think it'll be a sweet setup!

the rear looks great my friend, keep telling yourself this.....then
not the way most of us would do it
the stock chain is junk
any sprocket wear will ruin any new chain:naughty:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.