Powder Coated Frame!

35 replies to this topic
  • butcharin

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:31 AM

The pig has been in pieces since Nov. I finally got my new ring so I could get the motor back together and painted. I Powder coated and man does it look great. The pictures just don't do it justice. The snow is melting and I am just itching to get out and ride. I have it about half together. My chain and sprockets will get here this week. :excuseme: http://viewmorepics....7a-c5d97e127e67
http://viewmorepics....mageID=25278220
http://viewmorepics....mageID=25278221

Anyone got any tips for removing the old stickers off the swing arm?:confused:

• butcharin

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:37 AM

Lets try these pictures again.:confused:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• wmdspalmer

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Looks nice!

Will

• xr650l bum

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:08 AM

What did you use to paint the engine?

• knuklehead

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:49 AM

Use a heat gun on the stickers to warm them up, then they peel up a little easier. Then goof off to clean the residue off

• truck6driver

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:08 AM

Nice. Looks too pretty to get dirty. I have been wanting to do my frame in grey or silver to get rid of the chipped and banged up white frame.
If they made the plastics I want I would concider doing it.
What I want to do to mine is.
Charcoal grey plastics
Carbon fiber and black accents
Dark grey frame or silver (powder coated)
black rims (Excell)
stainless steel spokes
black powder coated engine with fins shaved to bare aluminum and stainless bolts and hardware.

Too bad it will never happen.

RH

• butcharin

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:08 AM

What did you use to paint the engine?

I used Dulpi Color Engine Enamel. It takes a while to set. I'll find out how well it work after It goes through a heat cycle. :confused: Usually that helps them set better.

• AaronBrown

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Looks really good. I use 3M adhesive remover to get rid of unwanted stickers.

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Fresh razor blade works well.

• XR_RON

Posted March 23, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Nice. Looks too pretty to get dirty. I have been wanting to do my frame in grey or silver to get rid of the chipped and banged up white frame.
If they made the plastics I want I would concider doing it.
What I want to do to mine is.
Charcoal grey plastics
Carbon fiber and black accents
Dark grey frame or silver (powder coated)
black rims (Excell)
stainless steel spokes
black powder coated engine with fins shaved to bare aluminum and stainless bolts and hardware.

Too bad it will never happen.

RH

Why would you want to shave the fins??,:excuseme: :confused: wont that make it run hotter? I see mods where they weld on fin extensions, to aid in cooling,and it looks really trick,to me anyway.:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AaronBrown

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:31 PM

I think he means to powder coat then clean the coat off of the fin ends so they are bare aluminum but the rest is coated. Would look pretty cool.

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 01:39 PM

That's gonna be one slick pig! :confused:

• truck6driver

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:14 PM

I think he means to powder coat then clean the coat off of the fin ends so they are bare aluminum but the rest is coated. Would look pretty cool.

Yea you got the idea. But like I said It will never happen with my budget. I ride the bike too much to take it apart anyways. I would need another bike to ride while I did the work anyways.

Will's bike will look slick when it is done.

RH

• Denn10

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Duplicolor engine paints work extremely well when prepped correctly, my engine in my truck still looks good after about 5 years, its all duplicolor blue and black

• ziki

Posted March 24, 2008 - 11:37 AM

I have few questions. With what color did you used to paint the motor?Web-Link???
Did you take it to sand cleaning? Or simply cleaned it before the painting.
You did it yourself or at the garage?
I’m rebuilding a 94 XR650L. And I would like to do the same. Please advice.
Thanks in advance.
Ziki
:confused:

• butcharin

Posted March 24, 2008 - 03:59 PM

I have few questions. With what color did you used to paint the motor?Web-Link???
Did you take it to sand cleaning? Or simply cleaned it before the painting.
You did it yourself or at the garage?
I’m rebuilding a 94 XR650L. And I would like to do the same. Please advice.
Thanks in advance.
Ziki
:confused:

I used Dulpi Color Engine Enamel. The color is Aluminum. You can get it at any automotive store. I cleaned up the motor good and then painted it. The biggest thing is to let the paint cure. I have had pretty good luck with this stuff. It usually cures better after the motor has been heated. I painted it in my garage. Make sure it is above 50.

• quadman450

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:10 PM

he means shave the powder coat off back to bare alum.

• butcharin

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:18 PM

Here are some more pic's. Man, I am getting closer to being done.:prof: :bonk: :confused:
Posted Image
Posted Image

• butcharin

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:08 PM

Finished Pics!:prof:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

All I need now are new Fenders. Man I cant wait till more of the snow melts.:bonk:

• Jbo

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:30 PM

Nice looking bike !

jbo

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.