side panel for 650l batt. mod

19 replies to this topic
  • 1nstr

Posted March 23, 2008 - 12:44 AM

:confused: Sorry to re-re-re- hash this because I know its already been covered, but I switched my battery to underneath my seat (air box mod) and got rid of the big black tumor, but now I need to know what is the best side cover for it. And yes it does also start better with the new smaller battery. :excuseme:

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:46 AM

I think that I have read here before that people are using the side cover from a XR600 after the battery relocation mod. :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:18 AM

The XR600 side panel is what some have used. Problem is finding one.

I am prob. just going to order one from Honda.

• 1nstr

Posted March 24, 2008 - 11:44 PM

any year 600?. Do they have the closure for the airbox on the enterior of the panel? askin alot aint I?:excuseme: :confused:

• b2dude

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:53 AM

mine from http://www.chaparral-racing.com/ just showed up yesterday:p

direct link

• b2dude

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:02 AM

couple pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Kenzo

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:26 AM

looks gud...did u get both panels???

...if so did both fit???

TIA,

Kenny

• martinfan30

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:40 AM

couple pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats tight! I just ordered a set of both sides from TT. They are UFO plastic. What is yours? Did they come with the hardware? How is the fit? Any mods necessary?

Once again, looks great! Cant wait for mine to come in.

Rich

• b2dude

Posted March 25, 2008 - 08:07 AM

yeah a few things need to be done to make them fit. you're gonna need to drill out the rivets on the extendo bracket for the rearmost dzus fitting. you need to drill out all four rivets...two holding the bracket to the box, and two holding the dzus fitting to the bracket. then just rivet the dzus deal onto the back side of the tab on the box. ok that's the hardest part...i hope you're all still with me:bonk:
after that you need to trim the panel to clear the shock res. and the seat strap and she should bolt...err...dzus right on!

i haven't installed the muffler side panel yet because it didn't come with the heat resistant adhesive foil or whatever it has stock, so i don't know what the deal is with that:excuseme:
i think the fit could be better, but i'm just happy my bike doesn't look like dumbo from behind now:ride:

::edit:: my panels are acerbis by the way. please post back on how the ufo ones fit

• martinfan30

Posted March 25, 2008 - 08:19 AM

OK, thanks I will. I ditched my seat strap awhile ago, so one less thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1nstr

Posted March 26, 2008 - 12:31 AM

I have had that seat strap help me bull dog it around on a tight switchback, but I mounted mine in back of the seat. Great Great looking bike! I am going to order mine tomorow. BTW I have the same zip ty plate location, but used some Led lites for blinkers. What brand Knobby is on your rear, and is that heat tape on your exhaust hdr?

• LONGHORN

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Looks Great. What Tail Light Are You Running And Is It Mounted On The Stock Xr650l Fender, What Tires And Sizes Are You Using. Awsome Bike With A Few Mods.

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 06:54 AM

mine...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• b2dude

Posted March 27, 2008 - 08:35 AM

thermo tech exhaust wrapclick

dunlop D606 front 90/90-21 rear 130/90-18click

WPS dualsport taillightclick

new tire not mounted dunlop D739 AT 120/100-18

and the last mod to this bike will be the usd forks shown in the bottom left of my second pic on the previous page. funny thing is that those forks were the first thing i bought for the bike :prof:

• jonr3

Posted March 27, 2008 - 09:27 AM

mine...

What do you think of the UFO panels? Fit? Finish? Any mods? Thanks!

BTW, it looks great...

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:20 AM

What do you think of the UFO panels? Fit? Finish? Any mods? Thanks!

BTW, it looks great...

I am very happy with UFO. Fit, finish are excellent.
The only thing you have to do, is transfer the twist screws to the new panel.
Then drill the two rivets that hold the rear most bracket to the air box. Drill the two other rivets that hold the "nut" to the bracket.

Then rivet the "nut" to where you removed the bracket.

Cake...

DO IT!!! If you have relo'd the battery.

• jonr3

Posted March 27, 2008 - 12:08 PM

DO IT!!! If you have relo'd the battery.

Relocating my batt. is probably my next project. Then I need to stop working on it and spending money for a while or else I'll have to pay for a divorce.:prof: Well... maybe a new gas tank, too. :bonk:

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Then I need to stop working on it and spending money for a while or else I'll have to pay for a divorce.:prof: Well... maybe a new gas tank, too. :bonk:

Thats my problem, with this site!

• rmhrc630

Posted March 27, 2008 - 01:41 PM

couple pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mate that job looks great!!!

You almost could not tell the difference between that and the 600R.

Very XR600R ish. I also like the small rear taillight.

Funny how we all mod our bikes - as you may know I took my XR600 closer to 650L status by adding electric start (as well as a few other things.

Would be great to get our pigs all together once and do a ride - maybe via colorado. Alas that would be a long trip for me to get there from Australia.

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Mate that job looks great!!!

You almost could not tell the difference between that and the 600R.

Very XR600R ish. I also like the small rear taillight.

Funny how we all mod our bikes - as you may know I took my XR600 closer to 650L status by adding electric start (as well as a few other things.

Would be great to get our pigs all together once and do a ride - maybe via colorado. Alas that would be a long trip for me to get there from Australia.

If you came state side, I would definately show! Thanks for all the good tips and info...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.