Kick Starter components on an 07 450 -what's the bearing for?

7 replies to this topic
  • Humunn

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:23 PM

My kick start was sticking so bad I could hardly operate it. When I removed it a ball bearing fell out. I've grease the shaft but can't figure out where the magic bearing goes. Help!

• djrevz

Posted March 23, 2008 - 03:50 PM

from what im sure of there is not a bearing were the casing is it is on the next casing in so i cant think were that has come from lol also i it is a bearing from inside the engine u will have a shattered bearing inside what mm is the ball that fell out?

• Matt James

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:25 PM

It sounds like you disassembled the pivot on the kickstarter? If so the single ball bearing is the detent and goes in a hole with a spring behind it.

• Humunn

Posted March 23, 2008 - 05:15 PM

It sounds like you disassembled the pivot on the kickstarter? If so the single ball bearing is the detent and goes in a hole with a spring behind it.

Yes, I took the arm off the pivot assembly. On the underside of the arm is a rubber O ring. When I pulled the arm off a ball bearing fell out. I did not see a spring. Does the bearing go in the shaft side or on the arm side? I put it back together without the ball bearing but the arm does not hold itself in place in the closed position.

Is it possible to replace the ball and spring easily or???

Thanks,
Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt James

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I have never had the this particular model apart but all kickstarters are basicly the same for the ball bearing detent. The hole for the spring should be in the shaft, it may be covered with grease. Clean it good, you need the detent or your kickstarter will flop around.

• Humunn

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have never had the this particular model apart but all kickstarters are basicly the same for the ball bearing detent. The hole for the spring should be in the shaft, it may be covered with grease. Clean it good, you need the detent or your kickstarter will flop around.

Thanks Matt. I'll look closer. Appreciate your feedback.
Greg

• FastRides

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:22 PM

Greg,
I just did this maintenance on my 07 too b/c it was starting to stick. Matt is exactly correct - you'll find a small hole with a spring in it. The ball goes in that hole on top of the spring.
Tip - I found a light coat of grease was plenty for this to operate smoothy (just cleaning it made it operate much better). Too much grease and it's loose like Suzy on prom night and wants to hang out all the time. :confused: Good luck. Mark

• Humunn

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:03 AM

Greg,
I just did this maintenance on my 07 too b/c it was starting to stick. Matt is exactly correct - you'll find a small hole with a spring in it. The ball goes in that hole on top of the spring.
Tip - I found a light coat of grease was plenty for this to operate smoothy (just cleaning it made it operate much better). Too much grease and it's loose like Suzy on prom night and wants to hang out all the time. :confused: Good luck. Mark

LOL, I have a very clear, almost visual, understanding now!!! Thanks for the help. I'm sure the spring is still up in there. The shaft and the kick arm were bone dry and somewhat corroded. I did grease it but without the ball (or detent as I guess it's called) that baby was all over the place.

Thanks again!

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.