Air In Brake Line 2007 YZ450

22 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 12:49 PM

There isn't an adjustment at the rear master cylinder that the vertical position of the operating rod and the piston (which makes it different from the front). The return spring runs the rod assembly back to the bottom, where it stops against a circlip. The adjuster screw changes only the at rest position of the brake pedal, and since the pedal has no fixed stop other than the M/C itself, the plunger position does not change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • time_wazter

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:46 PM

None of this is true.

The caliper piston does not return anywhere, in the first place. It is advanced only marginally, and if it retrearts from the rortor at all, it is only due to the runout of the rotor, and the play in the wheel bearings. Having it stand more than a very few thousandths away from the rotor creates excessive pedal/lever travel when the brakes are applied, and the only thing necessary to affect a complete release of the brake is for the pressure to be let off the pads.

There should also never be a vacuum in the system either, and the cap on either master cylinder is vented to prevent it.

When you release the brake, the lips of the master cylinder piston seal(s) fold down, allowing fluid to flow down over them from behind (where the reservoir is), so they don't apply any vacuum that way, either.

When i said the piston returned i didn't mean a 1/2" away from the rotor. i was talking like .005" actually

Also you say there is absolutely no low pressure (vacuum) in the system. Then how when you release the master cylinder and the cup seals fold down... what causes this.. hrmm maybe a pressure difference on each side of the cup seal.. define pressure difference . higher pressure on one side lower on the other side.nice ... lastly Wow you have worked on corvettes.. so have I..

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:28 PM

When i said the piston returned i didn't mean a 1/2" away from the rotor. i was talking like .005" actually

Also you say there is absolutely no low pressure (vacuum) in the system. Then how when you release the master cylinder and the cup seals fold down... what causes this.. hrmm maybe a pressure difference on each side of the cup seal.. define pressure difference . higher pressure on one side lower on the other side.nice ... lastly Wow you have worked on corvettes.. so have I..

Then you should be familiar with the fact that the 4 piston rear calipers on the C3's were notorious for pumping themselves full of air when the rotors warped because of the pistons passing fluid back and forth across the caliper.

The pressure differential you mention is transient, and is gone after the piston returns, due precisely to the fact that the piston seals allow it to be normalized. Given the ease at which the master cylinder returns, the very low strength of the pressure differential, and the force required to move the piston in either direction, there is simply no way for such a brief, weak vacuum to pull the piston back at all.

Any retraction of the caliper piston from its most extended position is only due to rotor runout, bearing play, caliper mounts out of square etc. No design element of a hydraulic disc system deliberately retracts the caliper piston or pads.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.