Problem after jetting - YZ426

3 replies to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted March 22, 2008 - 03:41 PM

I just put the JD jet kit on my 01 YZ426 and I have a problem - I CAN'T KEEP THE FRONT WHEEL ON THE GROUND!!!

I complained here once before about how the top end response seemed a bit flat, but after installing JD's kit it's a different animal! Low end power doesn't seem to be much different, but the low end was very good to begin with. I have a Thunder Alley pipe which supposedly gives good low end gains over a stock pipe. The top end is where I really noticed a gain.

Stock main jet was 162S (what's the S for?) and the stock needle was OBEJP with the clip on the fourth groove. Per the JD recommendations, I installed the 170 main with the blue needle, clip in the fourth groove from the top.

My idle is a little strange now. The bike stalled a few times on me while riding, but it's 10 degrees warmer than what I normally have been riding in, and I didn't touch the fuel screw yet. My bike is also backfiring on deceleration now, more than usual. Prior to the JD kit and when I was riding in 30 degree weather, it would pop once or twice, but now it backfires more. Could this be cured by the fuel screw?

I didn't even bother with the O-ring yet because I don't have bog that I can feel.

• BRYANS01

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:57 AM

when i put the kit in my bike i used the same settings as you but i put in the small oring and the kit gives you a starting point of 1 1/4 turns out on the fuel screw and i havent had to move it since. If your still popping on decel the yes the fuel screw can help, try going out with it a 1/4 turn at a time and see if it gets better im sure it will quickly. do a serch on here for fuel screw setting you will find a ton of info.

I was just as impressed with the kit, best money ive spend on a mod for sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZERIK

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:37 PM

i experiance the terrible anguish of the front wheel not staying on the ground....... when will people begin to learn what we have to go through? when?................

• jmckinney

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:00 PM

I went through the same problems with the backfire on decel after the JD Jetting kit was installed. My problems were cured with a differant pilot jet and fuel screw. Sorry I can't tell you if I went up or down but the your local shop should know what to do. Good Luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.