Regulator/rectifer

13 replies to this topic
  • thouk

Posted March 22, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hey Ya'll,
I am upgrading my stator to as much wattage as I can get out of it. I looked around for a regulator/rectifier that would handle all the amps that I could throw at it. I stopped at the Harley dealer and got one from a Sportster for free. I was psyched. Most of their units are good for at least twenty something amps if not more. It is just a thought for those of you that are trying to run the 2x100 something outputs off of rewired stators you have an easy option. I hope that helps. I will tell you how it goes once everything is together. Have fun, Tony

• Itchykawa

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:49 PM

What bike you ridin' Toney? Could be 3 or 4 different ones on this forum.

• thouk

Posted March 23, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I am riding a Xr650r. The regulator could be used on all three models if you rewind the stator for more output. I did some further looking today on the web. I am going to rewind my stator to three phase to see what I can get out of it. Just a thought. Tony

• moleculo

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:13 PM

I am riding a Xr650r. The regulator could be used on all three models if you rewind the stator for more output. I did some further looking today on the web. I am going to rewind my stator to three phase to see what I can get out of it. Just a thought. Tony

thouk,
First off, nice post. I like your thinking. I'm a firm believer that three-phase is superior to single-phase in many ways. If I may add a couple thoughts...

I'm 99.99% confident that the stock XR650R stator cannot be rewound for an effective three-phase output. The design of the flywheel (specifically the magnets in it) and the stator itself will prevent it. Rewinding to a single 200w single-phase output combined with the HD rec/reg & battery should power everything you need to run anyway.

The Harley Sportster rec/reg is a single-phase unit which will work with XR600's & XR650R's because like Sportsters, they have single-phase stator outputs. XR650L's have three-phase outputs so the HD unit wouldn't work effectively there. It doesn't really matter though because 650L's already have a stock rec/reg that works just fine.

• xr1million

Posted March 23, 2008 - 08:22 PM

If you get the stator wound to three phase, then some outboard reg/recs would work. I can do more research into which model/brands have them (cant remember off the top of my head) if your interested.

The 3 phase should work with the fly wheel. it has both N and S poles...

• cleonard

Posted March 23, 2008 - 09:44 PM

From how they work a three phase reg should work with a single phase setup. No guarantee but it is worth a try. Just connect to two of the three input wires.

There is no reason that you can't do a three phase winding. The main problem is the number of available poles. Two are used for the ignition which leaves 10, and that is not evenly divisible by three. You would have 2 three pole windings and one 4 pole.

I think that the max power would be to do two 5 pole windings like the Baja Designs and Ricky Stator units. There are about 250 watts available then.

If I had some extra stators, I would give several different winding possibilities a try and find what mix of windings and phases gives the absolute maximum wattage.

With a proper regulator there is a lot of power available. The key is a proper regulator. No one makes one. Since our bikes have a permanent magnet alternator the output power is directly related to the RPM. The regulators throw away all the excess. For example if 200 watts is there at 2000 rpm. There is 400 watts at 4000 RPM. I'm going to start experimenting with this and see what I can do.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted March 24, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Does the HD rectifier fit under the seat?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thouk

Posted March 25, 2008 - 03:17 AM

Hey Ya'll,
I am pretty sure that the regulator will fit under the seat. I am waiting for the V-rod regulator to come in so that I can see. I have a Sportster that I am sure will and since the V-rod is not much bigger it should as well.

Moleculo,
Why do you think that it won't work? Looking at most diagrams the Xr stator is like all the other three phase stator setups. I guess I will see here shortly.

Off to the windings bench I will go. Here is a link I am looking at.

http://www.fieldline...9/11/84741/6758

http://www.spokanist.../ktm_stator.htm

http://www.spokanist.../ktm_stator.htm

Have fun, Tony

• motomonte

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:54 PM

thanks for the links Thouk.one of the best i've seen so far.good luck with your project!

• thouk

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:19 PM

Ya'll,
I checked with the email I received and I am getting the wire this Friday. I am planning on rewiring the igniter coil first, just because. Then I will do the lighting coil in a delta configuration with three loops of three coils. I am not going to use the last coil of the ten. I am still waiting on the V-rod regulator rectifier. I am doing a total rewiring on the bike to bring it up to my standards. I am going to do the mod where I put the switch next to the right radiator. I want to get as much stuff hidden away from being on the headlight. Hopefull I have enough room under the seat to place everything including the alarm. I think I am pushing it. I will keep ya'll informed as to what I put where and how it goes. Hopefully the lighting rewind will work or I will just change it to the Sportster regulator with the coils wound with 16 guage wire with 33 wraps per coil. Have fun, Tony

• cleonard

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:42 PM

I would not rewind the igniter coil unless it needs it. The required wire is very small and most enamel wire is not up to the heat. There is special enamel wire for this application. It takes a zillion turns of that tiny wire and it took me hours to do. It is also difficult to hand wind and the result will never be as clean as the factory wind. If you do rewind you really need to use a high temp epoxy as you wind so the wires are totally covered in epoxy. It's important to use high temp epoxy and not the normal stuff. Your coil is not in hot motor oil so it is not in nearly as bad a situation as the 600R or 650L stators.

Keep us posted on your results. I'd like to know how many watts are possible.

• exaresix

Posted March 26, 2008 - 03:55 AM

I recently upgraded to a high capacity reg/rec for use with 200W Ricky stator (single output mode). Both Sparx and Ricky stator make high output reg/rect that handle up to 250W. These units are small and have cooling fins.

• porterdog

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:18 AM

I would not rewind the igniter coil unless it needs it.

+1. I devour everything I can find on the internet that's XRR related and I don't think I've ever read of the stock igniter coil failing.

• thouk

Posted March 26, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Okay Ya'll,
I am going to wait on the igniter windings for now. The wire should come in on Friday so that is when I will get started. I need to work on the basic wiring of the bike to make myself happy. I am going to make the mount for the key switch that mounts on the radiator like the guy on eBay has made. From there it will be shoving as much stuff under the seat. Stand by for now, Tony

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.